Nailing Down Leather

Started by JD Alan, October 09, 2010, 09:37:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JD Alan

I hope that subject line gets some attention!

In Al Stohlman's excellent books on making cases he talks about tacking or nailing down wet leather formed around molds. I've looked but have not been able to find nails that work for this, and the couple of times I've tried it things didn't go well. I end up forming the thing with my hands like a potter working clay. It takes a long time messing with it.

Guys like my local friend Paul or Skeeter make two sided molds, but that's a lot of work for a one off project.
Does anyone have any experience with this type of thing? Could you point me towards the proper nails or tacks for the job? It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, JD 
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Skeeter Lewis

JD - a short tack with a big head is what I use. That stops the leather pulling through.
You need to mold the leather with your hands - take your time and shape it round the block. Tacking it down is the last stage.
I think you need the second mold to get a really crisp result but I agree it's a lot of work. It depends how many copies you want to make. I have made several 'man bags' with the molds I made. But I like carpentry as well as leather work.
Skeet

PS I haven't seen Stohlman's books on bag making so I don't know if a second mold is needed for those.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

JD, Skeet is right on with this, I would like to add, that when your ready to nail your tack's down, use needle nose pliers to hold the tack in place as you pound them in, it makes the job much easier. Also to give your hold down even more uniformity you can use small strips of 1/4" or wider wood molding and set your nails in them before tacking your leather down, the wood strips will make the leather lay down more evenly, you can get these molding strips with rounded corners also, having these strips ready to go, makes this job nice and neat and easy too. The tack down wooded strips can be used over and over if you are careful when removing them.

tEN wOLVES  :D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Skeeter Lewis

Interesting point about the wood strips. I hadn't thought of that....

JD Alan

You guys are just toooooo smart! I'd thought about strips of 2-3 oz leather, which is what I used to guard the leather when clamping edges togwether for sewing.

I just spoke to WC at his shop, and he says you can use coated pannel nails. I'll have to give all these ideas a chance.

Thanks guys, I appreciate it   

GunClick Rick

Bunch a ole scudders!

Marshal Will Wingam

I've always used upholstery tacks. The ones used out of sight. They hold nicely but are tapered and come out when you want them to. They will discolor the leather a little around them so make sure you only put them where you'll be trimming the leather off.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

JD Alan

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com