Johnny Ringo Rig

Started by Johnny Dingus, October 03, 2010, 09:30:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny Dingus

Well I finished my Johnny Ringo Rig.  Because I do Cowboy re-enactment I left off the bullet loops.  I thought I'd post a picture of it.  My digital camera is missplaced here at home some where so I used my wife's film camera.  Please excuse the lack of staging.  This holster and belt was done with the vinagaroon process.

Now after making this one I decided I wanted to make one for me that is more balanced with the billet and I wouldn't need to fold the billet to show off the conchos.  This holster I did with USMC black dye,  the belt is done with the vinagaroon dye.

Here is a picture of us at a re-enactment.

Thanks Will for your great patterns.  Really like them.

Johnny Dingus
Spittin Lead and Packin Steel

Not Looking for a Fight but not Runnin Either

Shootin 45LC Ruger Vaqueros, 45LC USFA
Sass 70597  Yeah they count that far
Rat 285
USFA CSS 166

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Very nice Johnny, we were wondering where you disappeared to, you did a good job on the Johnny Ringo rig, thanks for sharing, and it's good to have you back pard.

tEN wOLVES  :D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Marshal Will Wingam

That looks really good. You definitely want to show off the conchos. Can you simply cut down the billet a slight bit to accomplish the same thing? Nice work on this one. That re-enactment is fun. This rig should work well for that.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

WaddWatsonEllis

Hi Johnny, Ten Wolves and Marshall,

I really enjoyed the pics of your Johnny Ringo Rig 'cause I have been tooling up and getting materials ready to begin the Will Ghormley Johnny Ringo rig ... with a couple of changes ...

I bought one of Will Ghormley's 'California Clipped Corner' buckles in white bronze a long time ago and think I will put it on this holster .....

I plan to use these with a pair of 7 1/2' Barrelled Schofields ... they are 13 1/2" from tip of grip to barrel tip, and my waist-to-armpit measurement is 8 1/2" ......

So I am going to add six inches to the loop so that the holsters will be 'lowered' to make the grip tip just come to the top of the belt ..... I am thinking that the pistols being at the same height as the holster belt will make it look 'normal' to the casual viewer ... and by placing a piece of leather between the front and  loops of the holsterabout 3" down and horizontally place and stitched in will keep the holsters from

Any comments on my plans would really be appreciated ......
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

KidTerico

Hi Johnny , nice job on the Ringo rig. Thanks for showing and keep it up. KT
Cheer up things could be worse, sure enough I cheered up and they got worse.

Johnny McCrae

Howdy Johnny,

Nice work on your Johnny Ringo rig. Mr. Ringo himself would be proud to wear this one. Thanks for showing it to us.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Johnny Dingus

Thanks for the replys.  TW I didn't disapear just haven't been able to do that much leather work and the quality that you guys do here is so far above mine. 

Quote from: Marshal Will Wingam on October 03, 2010, 10:54:36 PM
That looks really good. You definitely want to show off the conchos. Can you simply cut down the billet a slight bit to accomplish the same thing? Nice work on this one. That re-enactment is fun. This rig should work well for that.

Marshal Will no you can not just cut down the billet a little.  The buckle end is shorter and off center to the belt.  If that makes sense.

WE that buckle will look good on your rig.

Thanks KT.

Johnny Mc Mr Ringo would run out of bullets with my rig.  Those movie guns need more than 5 rounds.  Thanks.

Johnny Dingus

Rat 285
USFA CSS 166

WaddWatsonEllis

Johnny,

I guess what I was asking as a newbie was whether you had something that, if you had it to do over again, you would do differently .... for instance, I was thinking of raisint the top of the hlster roll to cover the recoil shields on my Schofields ... which would possibly mean having to droop the front of the holster to avoid having the holster come in contact tith the rear sight and open up the weapon ....

Again, any thoughts are appreciated, and if anyone is reticent about making a public post, I would welcome PMs and email.

My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

NCOWS #3403

JD Alan

Hey Johnny, it's good to hear from you. You did a great job on the Ringo rig, thanks for sharing the pictures
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Thanks for the replys.  TW I didn't disapear just haven't been able to do that much leather work and the quality that you guys do here is so far above mine.

Johnny Dingus, you know better than that, you do fine work pard, we can't all crank the leather out like our good friend Kid Terico, but just joining in and being a part of this bunch is what it's all about.

So don't be a stranger ;)

tEN wOLVES  :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

KidTerico

Johnny the idea is to have fun and your work is to be proud of.  KT
Cheer up things could be worse, sure enough I cheered up and they got worse.

Dalton Masterson

SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Johnny Dingus

WWE,

I know what your talking about,  I think your going to want to cross Will's HOG holster with his Ringo holster.  
I like them both and shoot SASS with my HOG rig.

But when I am doing the re-enactment and need a Black rig for being the BAD Guy I use the Johnny Ringo rig that I modified.  

I used a different Concho on the holster

and then these spots on the holster and belt to match the bigger conchos.

It is a lot of fun to mix and match the different holster plans to come up with what you would like.

Johnny Dingus

Rat 285
USFA CSS 166

Marshal Will Wingam

Thanks, Johnny. that explains it. I like both your rigs. The color on the HOG rig is outstanding.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

WaddWatsonEllis

Johnny,

I do reenactment too here in Old Sacramento .... and the pic iin my profile was taken when I was in Californio gear circa early 1850 ... so no cartridge weapons ... even when I do an 1870s character, I carry my two Ruger Old Armys as if they were 1858 nickel-plated Remingtons ... so still black powder ....

NCOWS #3403

Curley Cole

Nice lookin rigs gents...

Here is a shot on one of Wills steriling buckles on my rig. And I use one of his hog crosses as a fob on my watch chain.

Keep comin with the pix of yer rigs. I love seein em.
thanks

curley
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

WaddWatsonEllis

Curley,

What a great idea to put the HOG cross on your watch chain?

If copying is the greates form of flattery, can I flatter you by putting one on mine?

NCOWS #3403

Curley Cole

Help yer self,

What I did was go to Michaels and got a small "lobster claw" (it is a smal clasp) and used that to hook on to the watch chain link.

lets see pix

I also have one of the sterling ones on a silver chain.

curley
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

GunClick Rick

Those crosses are VERY cool~~
Bunch a ole scudders!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com