What is this thing?

Started by Drayton Calhoun, October 02, 2010, 10:55:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drayton Calhoun

Found this pic online, any ideas what it is?
The first step of becoming a good shooter is knowing which end the bullet comes out of and being on the other end.

Percussion Pete

Not sure, but it's butt ugly.
Pete

Drayton Calhoun

Quote from: Percussion Pete on October 02, 2010, 10:54:24 PM
Not sure, but it's butt ugly.
Maybe the round thing on the side is a clockwork action, ya know, wind it up and it shoots full-auto,  ;D seriously though, it looks original, the shape of the grips is weird, looks like a cross between a brass framed '60 army and some European contraption.
The first step of becoming a good shooter is knowing which end the bullet comes out of and being on the other end.

Percussion Pete

Barrel and loading arm looks like 1860 Colt, or maybe 1861.

Auto fire sounds dangerous with caps falling off.
Pete

Drayton Calhoun

The more I look at this thing, it's amazing. What ever the round thing is, the hammer screw goes through it, the frame is made for the contraption, notice the slight swell at the rear of the trigger guard. The frame was cast for it. The long nose of the hammer though, just looks un-natural. Just hope someone can figure out what it is.

John Smith

Where did you find this picture?

Dick Dastardly

The upper half sure looks like 1860 Army.  The lower half looks like someone was experimenting with some kind of semi auto rig.  It looks like the ring on the wheel folds outward to make a winding key.  I've used this feature on Hasselblad camera backs.  Just what it was supposed to do when it was wound up doesn't show in the picture, but I'm betting that it would advance the cylinder and cock the hammer after each shot.

Anyway, I don't think it ever made it into production.

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Short Knife Johnson

Some sort of aborted semi-auto feature was my first thought as well.  Maybe get ahold of the Buffalo Bill Historical Center and see if their firearms curator can help you out.  Nice old guy, Warren I recall being his name.  IF this thing is genuine.

They have rooms full of prototypical and experimental arms that would make your head explode, so a "wind-up" self cocking feature isn't that far fetched.

Qball

Found this text that i'm guessing is regarding that revolver. 

"Rare Prototype Colt Model 1860 Army Percussion Revolver With Mershon Hollingsworth Cocking Device
Serial no. 3803, .44 caliber. Standard cylinder and 7 1/2 inch barrel with New York markings. Custom brass frame with case hardened hammer and oil finished walnut grips. Right side of frame with circular German silver fitting inscribed Mershon Hollingsworth"
WartHog
SCORRS
SootLord
STORM

Howdy Doody

Old C&B gamer item. They incorporated a practice timer right to the weapon. Time the shots and then time how long it takes to reload.  ;D
Although it is on an anvil like a colt 1860, there isn't much metal on the lower part of the receiver in front. I wonder if it isn't a tinkers rendition of trying to copy a colt with a self assist feature. Hard to figure how it could work though. Folks come up with some strange things. Some of them actually work.
Even Rudolph Diesel blew himself up with his first engine and after a lot of thought, he had the time, it took many years for him to recover, he decided to try and run the same design on light oil instead of flour or coal dust. Gentlemen I give you the diesel engine fired by only compression for heat. My neighbor just bought a Chevy with one of those new fangled team of horses under the hood.
:)
yer pard,
Howdy Doody
Notorious BP shooter

Short Knife Johnson

Why does the term "rare" have to preceed the term "prototype"?  ;)  I've never heard this... "Oh yes, that's a very common prototype of that model.  In fact, the prototypes of this model actually exceed documented production figures.  It's worth more as a parts piece really.  Now if you had a regular production item.  Well!  That would be something to write home about."  ;D

Apologies.  An accummulation of hyped up internet ads and auction listings.

I wonder how reliable an innovation like that would be?  Like that Webley semi-auto revolver developed for use from a biplane cockpit.  

litl rooster

I think Forty Rod posted this one once before
Mathew 5.9

Short Knife Johnson

Quote from: Howdy Doody on October 03, 2010, 09:34:32 AM
Old C&B gamer item. They incorporated a practice timer right to the weapon. Time the shots and then time how long it takes to reload.  ;D
Although it is on an anvil like a colt 1860, there isn't much metal on the lower part of the receiver in front. I wonder if it isn't a tinkers rendition of trying to copy a colt with a self assist feature. Hard to figure how it could work though. Folks come up with some strange things. Some of them actually work.
Even Rudolph Diesel blew himself up with his first engine and after a lot of thought, he had the time, it took many years for him to recover, he decided to try and run the same design on light oil instead of flour or coal dust. Gentlemen I give you the diesel engine fired by only compression for heat. My neighbor just bought a Chevy with one of those new fangled team of horses under the hood.
:)

Actually Diesel engines were intended to run on peanut oil, but the refined petroleum distillate we know today as diesel fuel proved to be a cheaper source.  One of the guys I shoot BPCR silhouette with runs his Dodge one-ton on bio-diesel and used fry oil in the summer.  You can do it in the winter here, but it's more of a PITA than it's worth.  Diesel fuel contains 30% higher energy density than gasoline BTW.

And yeah, this modification would be one gamer trick I would get behind, or at least let slide, just because it is so unique.  My brain is turning in wonderment as to how this would work.

Qball

WartHog
SCORRS
SootLord
STORM

Drayton Calhoun

Quote from: Qball on October 03, 2010, 09:30:14 AM
Found this text that i'm guessing is regarding that revolver. 

"Rare Prototype Colt Model 1860 Army Percussion Revolver With Mershon Hollingsworth Cocking Device
Serial no. 3803, .44 caliber. Standard cylinder and 7 1/2 inch barrel with New York markings. Custom brass frame with case hardened hammer and oil finished walnut grips. Right side of frame with circular German silver fitting inscribed Mershon Hollingsworth"
Well. I was kinda close on the clockwork action joke. There have been some really strange prototypes. Remember the flintlock revolver with the primer resevoir on top of the pistol? Uh, yeah, I'd carry that into battle...not!

Percussion Pete

The more pictures I see. The uglier it gets.

I'll cock my own hammer.
Pete

Border Ruffian

Quote from: Percussion Pete on October 03, 2010, 02:01:41 PM

I'll cock my own hammer.

Your right, but I'd love to play with it on the range for a few hours......
http://oldschoolguns.blogspot.com/  A place for Classic Firearms

Drayton Calhoun

Quote from: Percussion Pete on October 03, 2010, 02:01:41 PM

I'll cock my own hammer.
Kinda like the old AMC Pacer, huh?

Holden A. Grudge

No idea what that round thing is but the pistol itself looks like a Bacon revolver.  I don't know much about the company but it was a little manufacturing company way back when that tried to compete in the market.  

EDIT...after looking again it is different than the Bacon Arms Co. revolvers.......I am stumped

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com