NCOWS approved Gun

Started by jay2101, September 28, 2010, 10:27:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jay2101

Is the Ruger SASS Vaquero in 45 cal a approved gun for NCOWS?

Roscoe Coles

According to there lists of approved and unapproved guns, kindly listed on their home page, the old and new vaqueros are OK, while the Bisley version (thankfully) is not.  No specific mention is made of the SASS version.  Aside from all the "SASS"yness, what mechanical difference is there between it and a standard model? 

Tascosa Joe

If it has the low profile hammer, I would say No.  Trap what say you?
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Trap

Have not seen or heard of it until now (don't follow SASS much) I guess as of now it would be covered under "Vaquero" but I would NOT buy one to use in NCOWS pending any further rulings.     jt
Aggressive fighting for the Right is the noblest sport the world affords. T. Roosevelt
NRA Patron/Life Member
  NCOWS #851, Senator
Proud Member of the KVC
Hiram's Rangers, founder
GAF # 328
  TAPS #26
NAOOTB #688

Tjackstephens

The ones I have seen have the mounted shooters hammer. It would not be ok. Tj
Texas Jack Stephens:   NRA, NCOWS #2312,  SASS # 12303, Hiram's Ranger #22,  GAF #641, USFA-CSS # 185, BOSS# 174,  Hartford Lodge 675, Johnson County Rangers,  Green River Gunslingers, Col. Bishop's Renegades, Kentucky Col.

Pancho Peacemaker

http://www.ruger.com/products/vaqueroSASS/

I think that hammer would make it a "no".   We probably need to have an "official" ruling on the "SASS" model and the "montado" and put them in the Tallybook unapproved list.

Of note, my local dealer says these are selling like hot-cakes, so we may see lots of them show up at matches.

Pancho
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

Pancho Peacemaker

Quote from: jay2101 on September 28, 2010, 10:27:24 PM
Is the Ruger SASS Vaquero in 45 cal a approved gun for NCOWS?

jay2101:  Just to clarify,  For a gun to be NCOWS approved, it has to have provenance to a pre-1900 design.  The montado and "SASS" models have the modern low-slung hammer and that is the problem.
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."

Ima Sure Shot

There is the option of a USFA with your NCOWS number as serial number. They are excellent!!! I shot mine and J.D.'s in the 45 colt black powder championship. A real pleasure to shoot. A hoot to watch the smoke obscure the targets. I also shot Texas Jacks' in the 45 championship a couple of years ago and they were very nice as well.  Ima

Cliff Fendley

Just curious, is it even available in 45 Colt? I've only seen them in .357.

I just made a gun rig for a customer with a new set and they were also 357.

http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Pancho Peacemaker

Quote from: Cliff Fendely on September 29, 2010, 06:19:01 PM
Just curious, is it even available in 45 Colt? I've only seen them in .357.

I just made a gun rig for a customer with a new set and they were also 357.

They are offered in .357 and .45 only.

I'm bettin' most will be sold in .357.
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com