Well Here I do --making my first holster

Started by Holden A. Grudge, September 23, 2010, 12:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holden A. Grudge

have dabbled in small leather projects and kits but decided it was time to make myself a nice slim jim holster for my 1861 Navy.  Went and got a nice peice of leather and upon getting home realized that the 5/6 oz leather was not going to be sturdy enough. 

Luckily I have enough to double it up and line the holster so that is the plan.

Made myself a pattern last night but now that I am lining the holster and doubling up the leather I will need to be sure to account for that when transfering the pattern to leather. 

Wish me luck!!!  I will update with my progress.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Welcome to the forum Holden

We're glad to have you join in with us, and look forward to seeing your first holster, we even have a thread on first holster here abouts, so make yourself at home pard.

Regards

tEN wOLVES  :D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Slowhand Bob

HAG, a little trick that should work with this small amount is to simply add a tad down the center line of the holster.  If your original holster called for 8/9oz unlined, I would think that adding about 3/8" or 1/2" would do it.  Not only is it the small additional thickness, you must allow for the glue creating stiffer leather.

Holden A. Grudge

Thanks for the welcome and the idea.  I am gonna look into doing it that way and see how it works.

Here goes with my first of many questions.........

How far in from the edge of the holster should the stitching groove go? 

GunClick Rick

If it was me ,about a foot :D Then nail it to the fence and use for knife throwing practice.. ;D
Bunch a ole scudders!

JD Alan

Welcome pard, and good luck on your first holster. It seems the better, or at least more experienced you are, the closer your sew line is to the edge of the main seam. This is just me, but I would suggest a 1/4 inch, because you can always trim down any excess, but adding leather is a trick I haven't learned yet :P

It's a fairly easy job to trim in and shape up the sew line after the fact. If you glue the main seam, it makes it easier to sew, but be sure to let te glue dry 24 hours before stitching. Guess how I learned that! The glue needs to dry real well or it becaomse a problem sewing.

I would glue it, then trim it up before applying the stitch groove, and the only lightly, and only on the front. (More early mistakes)

Others may advise you differently, and most here know a whole lot more than me on this or any other leather subject. This is a great place to learn 
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Marshal Will Wingam

Welcome, Holden. This is a great place to hang your hat. Like TW says, there's a thread for first holsters. Looking forward to seeing your work.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

WaddWatsonEllis

Hi, As long as I have lurked on here, I am finally making my firs holsters using Will Ghormley's Johnny Ringo Rig. Marshall Will, where do I go to find a first-timers thread?

I think I could really us
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Biscuit Joe

QuoteWaddWatsonEllis
Hi, As long as I have lurked on here, I am finally making my firs holsters using Will Ghormley's Johnny Ringo Rig

That's your first rig????
boy howdy, you got some talent Sir!!

WaddWatsonEllis

Biscuit Joe,

I wish and hope that my holsters turn out as nice ... that is a picture from Will Ghormley's website ...

I chose this pattern 'cause the slotted conchos and nickel spot 'bling' on the rig mean very little tooling to be done .... and no carving!

Another reason to pick this rig is that it is a basic drop loop Cheyennne rig with alot of spots and conchos .... and I can add a couple of inches to the loop and drop the holsters two or three inches so that those 7 1/2" Schofields are just a bit easier to pull ...

I plan to be laid up for the moth of October and hope to start and finish them then ... so I have been buying all the tools and stuff to build it now ... fortunately Will Ghomley gives a list on the outside of every pattern listing what will be required to build the set  so I have been busy buying tools, stitching horeses and such to get ready for the big build ....
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

NCOWS #3403

Holden A. Grudge

See now buying all the tools ahead of time seems like a good idea.  I am at the point where every time I get to a new stage in building my holster I have to go get the tool (or tools) necessary before I can do it. 

That way I space it out far enough that I can say....really honey, I just need one more thing..... ;D

WaddWatsonEllis

Hmmm ... Good Point!

Perhaps if I had bought one tool at a time I might still have someone to object about it  ....

But most of my work is done when Tandy isn't open ...and I hate start a phase only to find out that I need this or that tool to complete it and it is zero-dark-thirty and the only store to pick up the tool is closed

But as it is, I could have had Will Ghormley MAKE the holsters and belt for the initial cost of tooling up ... *S*

But my NEXT rig, well there is the rub ... if I hada bought  tools and made my first rig, I would not have had this outlay now ... So it is kinda 'The Lady of the Tiger' kind of thing ....

NCOWS #3403

Boothill Bob

Quote from: WaddWatsonEllis on September 25, 2010, 08:40:21 AM. Marshall Will, where do I go to find a first-timers thread?

Hi. If u go to "The leather shop" u have a icon that says new topic up to the right.
Click on that pard. I'm waiting to se your Ringo rig.
//BhB
Shoot fast and aim straight

SASS#83079 SWS#1246

Boothill Bob

Welcome to the forum Holden. Good luck with the holster, looking
forward to see it here pard:)
Shoot fast and aim straight

SASS#83079 SWS#1246

Marshal Will Wingam

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

WaddWatsonEllis

Marshall Will,

Thanks!

I added it to my favorites  list ...

NCOWS #3403

Holden A. Grudge

Finaly finished.  I posted some pictures over at the show us your first holster thread.  There is a lot I can improve on for next time but overall I can't complain about how it turned out.  Let me know what you think.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com