Hi, new guy with a question

Started by maarty, September 23, 2010, 06:21:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maarty

This is my first post here and I'm wondering if you guys agree with me about what's happened to this saddle.
we asked if snails had eaten it, the pics look to me like something like that has crawled over the saddle and eaten away the surface of the leather.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=318304232

I couldn't believe the reserve price on it! I've owned one of this guys saddles and bought it about the time this one would have been made, they're good using saddles but not worth that much second hand. Mine cost me $950 new with a discount cause I knew the owner of the shop so got it at wholesale price.

(forgot to put the link in)

GunClick Rick

Flood saddle,looks like it has been under water and run down a fast moving river,and later on somebody found it on the bank or hung up somewhere...Then put in a barn  and the mud dobbers got to it..

Or it's been in Washinton DC... :'(    

Bunch a ole scudders!

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Maarty

Welcome to our forum, we have several saddle experts here, maybe one will chime in on this.

Regards

tEN wOLVES  :D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Freedom

I would think rodents, but it is very hard to tell from the distance the pics were taken... Mice will do this searching out the salts and fats...   But the chew patterns look a little random.  I know rats often work the eges over, but the edges would be drier and not contain the consentrations of oil/fat.

Just my guess so maybe someone else will know exactly what this is... Snails?? (if this is true, I just learned something new) ;)
www.7xleather.com ...Cowboy and Muzzle loading Gear

EE Taft

I don't think rick is too far off. Maybe flood damage.

Or could just be a workin' saddle for some rough old cowboy. The marks look like something in a back pocket (Maybe fence pliers) has been drug across it a time or two.

Either way, it's in rough shape.

Looks like a few of my old saddles. ;D

~EE Taft~
Hell fire, I done mosey'd inta tha red light district!
SASS#87087

The grass ain't no greener on tha other side....I done been over there and looked.

http://www.cascity.com/posse/cgi/pm.cgi?action=display&login=EE_Taft&session=RUVfVGFmdHw5MTQ5MzEzMTR8MTI2NTM2NTgxNQ

Biscuit Joe

GunClick Rick

Lets just say i had horses when i was a kid and the ST Johns River was about a field away ;D Just on the other side of the radio tower.I could ride to the tower sit and listen to the radio,then holler get up now!Then it was WOE,WOE WOE,WOE YOU DADBURNED LONG EARED GALLOOT,I SAID WOOOOOOOOOOE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o I always hated that sloshy sound that boots make filled with water.

Wheres your saddle son
on the horse
uh,wheres the horse
just this side of Exeter bout now i imagine
the river don't run that way!
I know that! But you'll have to convince that hay burnin oat crapin  bag a bones that!!!!!! rat frackin%#@(&*^^)_)_&*^!!!!
Bunch a ole scudders!

Marshal Will Wingam

Welcome, Maarty. Interesting damage on that one. It almost looks like it may have ridden around in the back of a truck wearing against something. Looking forward to your posts.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

TexasToby

I've seen alot and I'm 66 but I ain't ever seen anything like that. I've had mice eat and chew in rawhide bosals and ruin them. I even had mice chew on edges of rawhide where they could get to that on a saddle tree.That's about the most damage I can think of but, if you figger it out I would like to know. Texas Toby
Swinging a rope is alot of fun unless, your neck is in the loop.

JD Alan

My first thought was water damage. If you don't own it, it looks like a good saddle to stay away from regardless of the "deal".
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com