What Is Working Class Cowboy???

Started by Ugly Elmer, September 21, 2010, 04:44:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ugly Elmer

It is my understanding that "Working Class Cowboy" only requires a rifle and a pistol to participate. I would prefer to not have to buy the shotgun and extra pistol to get started in CAS, so if this is not the case, please set me straight. Also, please explain how the competition is setup. Thanks in advance for your input.

Tjackstephens

Elmer, The working cowboy class is a NCOWS class, although all the SASS clubs here in Western Kentucky and Southern IN. allow it. The competition is only between shooters in that class. You are correct it is one legal handgun and rifle. It may be shot one handed or two handed, black powder or smokeless. As far as competition, in NCOWS there is no top overall shooter. Top shooters in each class. The working cowboy class is always the largest class at any NCOWS shoot.  Wish you the best in your efforts to start shooting. Tj
Texas Jack Stephens:   NRA, NCOWS #2312,  SASS # 12303, Hiram's Ranger #22,  GAF #641, USFA-CSS # 185, BOSS# 174,  Hartford Lodge 675, Johnson County Rangers,  Green River Gunslingers, Col. Bishop's Renegades, Kentucky Col.

Rowdy Fulcher

Ugly Elmer
That's correct a pistol and rifle are all you need . This is our largest shooting category and it's easy to see why with the price of supplies lately .

Pancho Peacemaker

Working Cowboy's popularity as a shooting class probably also stems from it's basis in reality.  How many 1880's gunmen went into a fight with 2 pistols, a rifle, and just happen to have a shotgun laying on a barrel nearby?  Outside of Hollywood  . . . not many.

The weapon "load out" for the working cowboy class reflects the reality of a gunfight in the Old West.  Cowpokes just didn't carry two revolvers.  They had a side arm on the belt, and a carbine in the saddle scabbard.

One other class many NCOWS clubs offer is "Sod Buster" with the shooter using one revolver and a shotgun.  Both of the Texas posses are offering this at the monthly match level and it has been well recieved.   Sod Buster is not a nationally recognized shooting class, so you will not see it at the "big" matches.

All that said and done, I still usually shoot a four gun class because I like to hear and smell all that powder go off.... ;D

Pancho
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

Ugly Elmer

I would to thank everyone who has responded or may respond to my questions. I anxiously look forward to my first shoot when I can get a group together in the Columbus Ohio area.

Steel Horse Bailey

Elmer - we've got a club off of I-70 not far from the Indiana-Ohio line:  the Great Lakes Freight & Mining Company.  We shoot the 2nd Sunday of each month and start at 10:00 (09:00 registration, 10:00 safety brief)Come join us - you won't have to wait as long - we'd love to have you!

http://home.comcast.net/~glfmcposse/
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Major 2

Pancho

Do you combine Sod Buster with Working Cowboy as one class ?
when planets align...do the deal !

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

Make it a team shoot!  WC + SB = 2 revolvers, 1 levergun, and 1 shottie.

What will we call it!  Shall we start a poll?
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

Tascosa Joe

Quote from: Sir Charles deMouton-Black on September 23, 2010, 08:17:00 PM

Interresting????
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Pancho Peacemaker

Quote from: Major 2 on September 23, 2010, 05:00:02 PM
Pancho

Do you combine Sod Buster with Working Cowboy as one class ?

No.  Because they engage different target arrays, we keep them in separate classes.
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."

Steel Horse Bailey

Just a small point, it's simply "Working Cowboy" - whether we have any class is debatable!    :o

;)

;D 

"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

ira scott

I would agree with Pancho that "working cowboy" is probably more true to the old west. I shot working cowboy at the Nationals this year, and really enjoyed it, but at least a couple of reloads would have added to the fun!(no I don't shoot a schofield!). It's nice to carry your gear in saddlebags(more correct than a gun-cart?), and only have a couple guns to clean if you're shooting "the holy black!"
It is far better to remain silent, and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt!

Pancho Peacemaker

Quote from: ira scott on September 23, 2010, 10:54:51 PM
I shot working cowboy at the Nationals this year, and really enjoyed it, but at least a couple of reloads would have added to the fun!(no I don't shoot a schofield!).

The WC reload issue is worthy of discussion.  I think reloads on-the-clock add another dimension to shooting Working Cowboy.  The skill to empty and reload your cylinder FAST is not something many of us practice. 

The top-breaks (aka No. 3's aka 'Schofields') are the issue.  A shooter with a top-break has a mechanical advantage with his/her reloads.  Because of this, most posses have few to no reloads for the Working Cowboy.

This issue makes us realize that the the 1880's cowpoke with a trusty S&W No.3 Russian in his holster had a serious mechanical advantage over his Peacemaker wielding adversaries during an extended gunfight.

NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life

J.R. Logan

Pancho is very right but the reason it is not do at the national shoot is because you will also have C&B working cowboy shooting in the same class as well and without the right C&B pistols it is impossible to reload all 5 on the clock and not use a sun dial to time with ;D

Hope this help answer why this did not and most likely will not happen at a national match.

J. R. Logan

Guns Garrett

"Friends' Shoot?"

"The farmer and the cowman should be friends,
Oh, the farmer and the cowman should be friends.
One man likes to push a plough, the other likes to chase a cow,
But that's no reason why they cain't be friends...."
("Oklahoma!")
"Stand, gentlemen; he served on Samar"

GAF #301

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

Guns;  Great concept! 8)

Or just;  OKLAHOMA class.   Maybe a side match for fun, before all the stages are put away at the end of a shoot?
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

Rowdy Fulcher

Howdy Pards ,
The Working Cowboy is the BEST Idea  in a long time . No it's not a new Idea it's been around for a few years . The reason I enjoy shooting working cowboy is just strap on your your pistol and grab your rifle and saddle bags your'e  ready . Maybe someday we will have a 2 day Working Cowboy Shoot and we can all play the same game . You know shooting ,visiting with FRIENDS , Shooting .

RickB

I like Working Class Sod Buster.  ::)
Ride Safe and Shoot Straight.
Rick.

Steel Horse Bailey

Quote from: RickB on October 17, 2010, 05:36:43 PM
I like Working Class Sod Buster.  ::)

That's repetitious redundancy:  Pretty generally, ALL sod busters were working class!  LOL!
;)

Tascosa Joe

Jeff:

That may be the primary reason we became cavalrymen, tankers, and gun bunnies.

T-Joe
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com