Rear sight for H&R Buffalo Classic

Started by New Salem Bob, September 18, 2010, 10:12:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

New Salem Bob

I have a H&R Buffalo Classic and understand I cannot use the Williams sight provided.  I need to know where to find a creedmore type sight or similar.  I heard that someone had a sight that would fit is ithe holes that the Williams came out of.  Please let me know.  I found a marble sight but need to adjust sight from one range to another.  Thanks

Fiddler Green

I have an even better solution for you! I drilled the tang on my 1871 for a Vernier sight. I've shot it in 650 yard matches with better results then one should expect from a sub $400 rifle. It's great beating guys with $3,000 dollar Sharps!

You will need to have access to a precision drill press or a mill ( I used a Bridgeport mill).. I then put brass inserts into the holes and used wood glue to make sure they don't back out and mounted a sight I got from Track of the Wolf for $65. It's good out to 1,000 yards, but, I've yet to shoot a match at that range.

Hopefully, I can post the pictures to give you some idea of what it looks like .............

Fiddler Green

OK, pictures worked!

Note that I have the standard rear sight on, in the pictures. I just hadn't taken it off then. I still use the standard front sight.

litl rooster

FG   what are you using for a front sight?
Mathew 5.9

Fiddler Green

litl rooster

Mathew 5.9

TomBullweed

A friend of mine simply mounted an original Tradoor sight with a ladder where the Williams sight was.  It makes for a very long open leaf/blade sight and works very well.  This does comply with the SASS handbook.

A sight mounted on the upper tang seems to be in my way and slows any attempt at rapid fire.

Fiddler Green

Quote from: TomBullweed on December 04, 2010, 08:00:45 PM
A sight mounted on the upper tang seems to be in my way and slows any attempt at rapid fire.

It's a single shot...rapid fire is not really it's forte. The tang sight is consistent with the Sharps and the highwall.

Bruce

TomBullweed

The long-range side matches are won by the fastest shooter hitting the target consistently.  You're right about it not being rapid-fire in the sense of a lever-action, but speed and relative accuracy wins.

Fiddler Green

Quote from: TomBullweed on December 05, 2010, 03:49:44 PM
The long-range side matches are won by the fastest shooter hitting the target consistently.  You're right about it not being rapid-fire in the sense of a lever-action, but speed and relative accuracy wins.

Having won my share of long range matches with said rifle, I'm not sure where you think you're going with all this. Also, BPCR matches are NOT of the same ilk and don't require said speed.

Bruce
2008 Billy Dixon Champion.

Doc Fillem

Smith Enterprises makes the sight you need for that Buff Classic. It fits the original holes. You can use it as a normal sight or flip it up for long range work. They are expensive, about $125-150 IIRC. They may also be on backorder as Smith makes sights for the US Military and that is keeping them pretty busy. Check Brownells for the sight. I have one on my Buff Classic, it's a real nice sight.

cpt dan blodgett

You can replace the peep site with a blade from brownells for roughly $8 per
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=26041/Product/WGOS_WDOS_BLADES

The base has about .060 elevation adjustment.  The blades range in height from 3/16 - 3/8 inches gving another .190 inches.  That is .250 between the 3/16 slid all the way back to the 3/8 all the way forward.  the quarter inch is equivalent to approx 25 min of angle.  Which is 125 inches at 500 yards.  Bad news is a .405 grainer with a bc of about .200 exiting the muzzle at 1350 FPS will drop about 333 inchs at that range and about 86 nches at 300 yards which is 10 inches more than all the adjustment you can get with the blade replacement option. (per hornandy blalistic calculator using 1.00sight height and a 100 yard zero).  Aming at the top edge of the target should get a hit though.

If long range to you is 300 yards or less the sight blade change may do the trick but you may need to buy all 4 blades to cover the ranges from 100 - 300.

Farther than that a sight with a whole lot of adjustment is needed.
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Pappy Myles

I mounted on the barrel ahead of the chamber a ladder sight that appeared to be from a 30-40 craig.  It has a windage level that allows the sight to swivel left / right.  I had to spend a good deal of time setting up a calibration table for my 45-70 loads for it but once set it works great.

Good job on the veriner sight placement on the stock
NRA Patron Member
NRA Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
TSRA Life Member
USMC Vet
Dirty RAT # 308
Life SASS # 59784 ROI and ROII

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com