Molded Mag Holder

Started by JD Alan, September 07, 2010, 12:37:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JD Alan

I thought I would continue with this project on a separate thread, not wanting to tie up the "Show your stuff" thread with some questions. First a quick recap. I did not build this mold, my friend Paul did, and it works excellent. 

This unit uses a folded over back, held together with 3 Chicago screws on the bottom. It's made for a 2 ½ inch belt, and it fits pretty snug. I'd like to do something different for the belt keeper, but I'm not sure what.

I think I'm going to make the next one a little longer on the bottom and use snaps, making it easier to get on and off the belt. I would like to hear some other ideas for attaching this to a belt. Since it take me forever to sew leather I'm thinking about attaching using rivets on the next one to see how it works out.

The mold is a little deep, making for a pretty lose fitting mag. I've got some clips in there, but I think a little stronger, thicker clip would be better. Any other ideas would be welcome as well.     

The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Ned Buckshot

Very nice JD it looks like it came from a commercial leather Co.!

Exceptional job on the woodworking.

Ned
Ned Buckshot

SASS# 2901   nedbuckshot@gmail.com

SEE MY ADS IN CAS CITY CLASSIFIEDS

cowboywc

Howdy JD
You did a great job....
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

Marshal Will Wingam

This design is your best by far, JD. The mold makes it very clean. Nice clip idea, too. If you need it a little tighter, how about making the mold slightly thinner by putting a spacer under the upper piece so it doesn't go as deeply into the mold. You could even space the bottom of the mold pockets the same amount.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

amin ledbetter

That is super nice JD! I love the design! Simple, effective, and good looking. How loose are the mags with the clips you have in there? The mag pouches seem deep enough that the mags would not fall out. Are the clips strong enough to keep the mags from slipping out when bending over with the rig on? If so I would think the clips are perfect, as long as they do not snag on the mags when removing them  from the pouch. Either way I think the over all design is awesome JD!

Dalton Masterson

Great work JD! Way to think outside of the box with those clips!
I like that mold too. I think your friend would have a small market for those around here...
DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

JD Alan

I appreciate all the positive comments. Paul has had several inquires from people wanting him to make them a mold. I spoke to Paul today, (9-7-10), and he's going in for surgery in about 10 days. He's not sure about building any more at this time. He told me earlier today he would give it some thought, including what he thinks he would have to get for one.

The picture shows one pocket with the clip and one without. As far as it being loose, I suppose it's a personal preference. With the clip there's enough tension on it for me. One problem is the clip sort of pushing back into the leather. I've experimented a little bit, and I think a well placed double cap rivet will stiffen it up. What Paul has done with the ones he's made for himself is add a sewn strip of rather thick leather across the top to kick the mag out a bit.

The bottom shot in the back of a double mag holder I own. I'm thinking of trying a back like that on my mag holder, and I'm hoping someone with more experience might have another idea for me to try.

Johnny McCrae

Great topic JD. Excellent workmanship & design! This is a good example of "thinking outside the box". Thanks for posting this
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

JD Alan

Thanks Johnny, it's been an interesting project.

Paul used a jig saw and a router to make the mold. We tried a number of different ways to do this, but my molds were no where as nice as his. Paul did custom metal fab for years, and is an all around great wrench. He works in wood and metal.

I use a vise for the body of the mold, then use some screw clamps across the top. Before I take it apart I use a clicker knife to cut the front edge flush against the mold, then when it's dry I sand the top edge to true it up. I've made a template out of cardboard to make sure my edges are all straight and the same size when I trim it out

JD Alan

On the mag holder here's my dilemma on snaps: In order to keep the overall length down, top to bottom I have to put a spacer along the bottom to widen it out a bit. I can't find a snap with a long enough shank to go through two pieces of leather in the 8-9-10 range.    

Dalton Masterson

Would it be possible to use long copper rivets with the snaps, instead of the rivet portions of the snaps?
That might work on the back side, and then keep the front side thinner for the regular snap parts.
I am not sure if it would work, and I dont have my tools handy in front of me today....
Might be tough to get the burr to set and everything pretty....
Just thinking out loud...
DM

Addendum:
Or, put the snap through the spacer, then sew the spacer onto the back.....
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

JD, just a suggestion, seeing how you're using two pieces of leather, and you're finding the leather too thick to attach the snaps, why don't you just bury the snaps, attach the snaps to the inside piece of leather and the cover and sew the outer layer of leather over the snap, you can do this for both the male and female sides, if it were me I would use the male portion of the snap on the front and because the leather is a single thickness on the back, install the the female portion on the back, you will still be able snap and unsnap as needed, just my two cents worth. I think this will solve your problem without any tado. ::) ??? :D

tEN wOLVES  :D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

WaddWatsonEllis

JD,

I Am getting to this party 'way to late, but here is a pic of an old .45 Slider that snapped the way they were talking about ... one of the off shoots is that I believe that it would make the mags anngle outward adn upward just a little bit ...

My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

JD Alan

Good ideas pards, thanks for the feedback. Skip, I've thought of that method, but it would, in my opinion make the holder too wide, especially considering you need two, maybe three holders on your belt, but a good though.

10 Wolves & Dalton,  that's why I love this forum! I hadn't though of burying one side, but it's brilliant. I don't know if a copper rivet would work or not, but it's worth a look see.

Here's my latest one, with the belt loop sewn on, a pass through. The holster is from a pattern by Tandy. I bought the holster kit, then used the leather for a pattern.

I'm getting closer to what I want as far as the mag holder is concerned, but I'll make a number of changes on the next holster

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Nice looking rig JD, adding a pant belt slit in the back of the mag pouch is a good way to go, I made a customer one with a standard width pull through, and with pant belt slits in it also, so he could wear it either on his gun belt or pant belt and have it more secure, I did the same for a holster I made for a pard too, it makes for a very versatile set up. looks like you're closing in on your final pattern, it will be a dandy for sure.

tEN wOLVES  :D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Slowhand Bob

JD, these are great my friend and I can not wait until I have time to try some of these ideas.  I spent some time getting my bandsaw ready a few days ago just for making a wet forming mold.  Are you hand sewing these double pouches or do you have a machine?  I would definitely need to find a different presser foot for my Toro machine to get into the narrow slot between the pouches.  I have a really narrow foot on my Aero but it is half way ready to ship and I do not want to set it up again and its presser feet are not interchangeable.

JD Alan

No machine Bob, it's all by hand. I have an old Singer from the Pendleton woolen mills, but it won't let me get very close to anything. It was given to me, but I don't do much with it. It's limited to pretty thin thread compared with what is normally used on leather.

TN Mongo

Very nice work J.D.!  Have you thought of making rectangular leather spacers to attach inside the pockets where you currently have the springs?  You could glue several pieces of leather together to get the thickness you need for a tighter fit and then sew them to the back.  Using the leather spacers would also position the magazines away from the shooter's belt and body a little bit and might make it easier for them to grab the magazines on the clock. 

The only disadvantage I can think of with using leather spacers is that you might have to bevel the top edge of the spacers so that the magazines don't catch on the leading edge.

Ideally it would be nice to have a snug fit without using springs or leather spacers.  I think Marshal Will's idea of modifying the mold is the right idea, but if that doesn't work, maybe your friend could make you a second mold when he is physically able.

JD Alan

Hey Mongo, good to hear from you. The clips push the mag out from the body, and add a little, but not too much tension on the mags. Paul, the mold maker sews a strip of leather aross the top to tip the mags out.

I can make the mold a little shallower by padding it with leather, but honestly I'm not sure what I will do at this point. Since I'm still quite slow, and there's a fair amount of sewing involved, I'm not sure how many more I will be making. With the time invested I could be making a holster, which seems to be more appreciated and valued higher. 

People don't see the value in these, as it relates to money. A local maker, Ted Blocker makes a nice set up for $50.00, but I hear a lot of complaints as to price. Afer making a few of these, I  don't think they are out of line at all. I realize these things are a time sink.  Maybe someone who sews quicker than me could do allright.

Slowhand Bob

JD, his price is not out of line with what many big name makers are charging.  You decide the price and do not make to many ahead, the customer you are making for will come along looking for good quality products.  Some time back we had a guy, over on another board, complaining about the fact that leather workers were charging ten or twelve bucks for the little fold over snap style lever wraps.  He made the boast that he could get rich selling them at two bucks a pop.  I told him it sounded like a really great plan and offered to buy fifty immediately at that $2 price, made to my ten dollar specs.  Hand cutting, hand setting plus adding a suede filler was a lot of hands on time for such a small simple item, OH and they sell like hotcakes at $10 a pop anytime you introduce them to a large group of different shooters.     

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com