Reload Range Report for Uberti 45-75

Started by CavSoldier3ACR, September 01, 2010, 01:23:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CavSoldier3ACR

I just came from the range where I fired my first 45-75 reloads.  I used the Lee reloading dies, 24 grains of AA5744, cast bullets from the Lyman 457192 (straight from the mold, no sizing), SPG lube, Winchester large rifle primers, brass was whatever Ten-X uses.  Despite the fact that my Uberti has the oversized chamber, the rounds functioned flawlessly.  I only had time to shoot from 50 yards, since I was playing hookie from work, so I had to cut it short.  My group for five consecutive rounds was approximately 2 inches.  My reloads performed better than I was expecting and I am looking forward to testing it at 100 yards.  I will report the results when I do.

h c ramrod

keep yur powder dry.

Hobie

IIRC my 457192 bullets actually weighed 360 gr. lubed rather than the 350 gr. nominal weight. 
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson

h c ramrod

I WONDER IF THAT LOAD CAN BE SHOT IN THE 45/60
I THINK PROBLY IT COULD OK
I ACTUALY LOADED SOME 405 GRN BULLETTS WITH 19 GRN OF 5744 AND THEY SHOT WELL AND NO SIGN OF HIGH PRESSURE
NOT SURE HOW HIGH I SHOULD GO WITH THE 405 LEAD WITH 5744
I AM SHOOTIN THE CROSS FIRE TRAIL VERSION 76 FROM CIMARRON ARMS. N.W.M.P.
keep yur powder dry.

CavSoldier3ACR

I tried my loads at 100 yards and was getting about six inch groups, until I used Pufflon filler.  I was able to shrink my group to 4 inches at 100 yards.  I really didn't expect to get such dramatic results.  I need to load up another batch to make sure I can replicate the results I got with the filler, or if I can even improve my groups.

larryo_1

Why are some folks concerned about the "over-size" chamber?  I have one in my rifle and it gives me about 5 grains more of case capacity and it works great--especially with BP. :-\
When in doubt, mumble!
NRA Endowment member

Hobie

I think they are just purists.  Not that that is bad, it just is. 
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson

Cimarron

Quote from: CavSoldier3ACR on December 13, 2010, 04:11:11 PM
I tried my loads at 100 yards and was getting about six inch groups, until I used Pufflon filler.  I was able to shrink my group to 4 inches at 100 yards.  I really didn't expect to get such dramatic results.  I need to load up another batch to make sure I can replicate the results I got with the filler, or if I can even improve my groups.

I've never used Pufflon, or any other filler so I don't have any experience with it.  How much do you use?  Is it by weight?  My Cimarron has the regular .45-75 WCF chamber and I have pretty much settled on 25g of 5744 and the BACO JIM458350 molded bullet at 350g.  I've been getting about 1 1/2" to 2" groups at 50 meters with this loading.     
HOLY BLACK?  YOU MUST BE TALKING ABOUT PENNSYLVANIA ANTHRACITE!

CavSoldier3ACR

I am using 25 grains of AA5744.  Once the propellant is dropped into the case you will pour puff-lon on top of it until it overflows the neck.  Scrape off the excess and load the projectile on top if it.  It will compress the filler, but that is OK as long as your load is at least 10% less than the max load.  I was skeptical at first but was quite surprized by the results. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com