Polymer grips for pistols

Started by Drayton Calhoun, August 23, 2010, 08:55:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drayton Calhoun

Don't know if anyone has tried this yet, but, I will soon be attempting to make imitation ivory grips for a couple of my pistols with the polymer clay, (oven bake). There are instructions on the internet for making faux ivory and bone using the commercially available clay, which is rather inexpensive. I will post the results later.
The first step of becoming a good shooter is knowing which end the bullet comes out of and being on the other end.

fourfingersofdeath

I'lll look forward to it, that sounds interesting.
All my cowboy gun's calibres start with a 4! It's gotta be big bore and whomp some!

BOLD No: 782
RATS No: 307
STORM No:267

www.boldlawdawgs.com

Forty Rod

I am definitely interested in your results.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Johnny McCrae

I look forward to hearing about your results. I've carved pistol grips out of Corian but using Polymer Clay sounds real interesting.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Smokin Gun

Sounds real good to me thank you I'll be watchin'  :o

SG
Mosby's Rangers
43rd Virginia Cavalry C.S.A.
SASS# 19634
http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php

Noz

If the process gets to be too much, you can always buy completed sets of grips from gripmaker.com.

Drayton Calhoun

I guess I should have explained why the plan to make them. I have sort of a one off New Model Army that I have been tinkering with for the last couple of decades. The grip profile had changed dramatically and no one makes custom grips for it. Some of the mods include the barrel turned down round, birds-head grip and the half-circle cut out on the frame for the grips is gone so the top of the grips is now squared. Managed to shave off three-quarters of a pound.
The first step of becoming a good shooter is knowing which end the bullet comes out of and being on the other end.

Grapeshot

Quote from: Drayton Calhoun on September 03, 2010, 09:25:51 PM
I guess I should have explained why the plan to make them. I have sort of a one off New Model Army that I have been tinkering with for the last couple of decades. The grip profile had changed dramatically and no one makes custom grips for it. Some of the mods include the barrel turned down round, birds-head grip and the half-circle cut out on the frame for the grips is gone so the top of the grips is now squared. Managed to shave off over a quarter of a pound in weight.

Got Pictures??
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

Drayton Calhoun

Grapeshot, I have a few, tried to load one, think I goofed somehow or other attaching it, will try later. Dialup is a royal pain. Still haven't had time to work on the grips, but once I get them done, I will give them a workout at the range to see how they hold up.

Drayton Calhoun

Well. first stage, getting used to the material has been interesting. It seems there are three different types of polymer clay from the same company. Cure temp is the same, but time is twice as long on one type than on the other two. Mixed results. Finished product appears to be tough, but a bit flexible because I mixed the three types and apparently screwed up the curing on all three. On the positive side, it might just make some passable hard rubber type grips. Still working on it though.

W.T.

Quote from: Drayton Calhoun on October 01, 2010, 11:48:52 PM
Well. first stage, getting used to the material has been interesting. It seems there are three different types of polymer clay from the same company. Cure temp is the same, but time is twice as long on one type than on the other two. Mixed results. Finished product appears to be tough, but a bit flexible because I mixed the three types and apparently screwed up the curing on all three. On the positive side, it might just make some passable hard rubber type grips. Still working on it though.

Watching closely here; thought about trying this ever since my wife started using polymer and bought five pound in various colors.  Bet you could work in some real nice carving on 'em.  I have a couple of pre-1898 Owls Heads in .32 & .38 S&W I'd like to make custom grips for.

Can you post up a link to the instructions for using polymer to make imitation bone?  I'd be obliged.
"The Duck, I sez."
Storm #245
FROCS #5

Drayton Calhoun

Just type in Faux Ivory or Faux Bone in your search. there are several. Last night I made an imitation bear fang. Looks great and the surface sanded nicely, but for some reason it is flexible. In a few minutes will be attempting the grips using the Sculpey oringinal off white and sculpey III translucent. Tried tinting with pumpkin in one piece of white and turquoise in another. Came out looking good, but the baking time is twice as long for the Premo than the Original or III and that may have been the problem. Stay tuned, update later!

W.T.

Hmm, flexible bear fang can't be good for the bear  ;D

standing by for updates...thanks!
"The Duck, I sez."
Storm #245
FROCS #5

Drayton Calhoun

Flexible fang from the rare Synthetic Grizzly Bear, feeds only on Naugas...

Drayton Calhoun

Drayton Calhoun

Quick update. Clay has been mixed and layered. Blanks cut out and baked. Came out much better than previous attempt, feels to have the same consistancy as commercial polymer grips, am contiinuing work and will post photos of finished grips soon.

Drayton Calhoun

Slow going in the process, work and raising kids. Have one panel just about finished, layering showing up quite nicely, will have photo of inwork panel soon.

Drayton Calhoun

Ready for final fitting...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com