Modefied Henry Rifles ????

Started by Capt, Woodrow F. Call, August 20, 2010, 07:41:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt, Woodrow F. Call

I have been thinking, is there a chance to modefy a Henry rifle, like a new kind of frame, but with the same old look, just with new parts, like Winchester 1892 mechanism inside, or other design's...... ???

What do you think about this.

Call.
SWS # 1014
Grenland Gunslingers # 0001
Cowboy Mounted Shooters Norway #005
'The Cowboys' Trail Riding Society of Telemark 2009. # 003
Member of The Chuckwagon society, Sweden.

Major 2

sacrilege...is what I think....

course you can alway get a "Hollywood Henry"  brass plated 92 and the forestock removed....you see them in
  :-\ westerns  ::)
when planets align...do the deal !

Driftwood Johnson

Howdy

No. The parts of a '92 were designed to fit specifically into a '92. The Henry toggle link design was meant specifically to fit into the Henry frame. They are too different. For one thing, The 92 has a much more compact action than any toggle link gun. With a toggle link gun, the cartridge elevator is completely separate from, and in front of the rest of the works. With a '92, part of the reason it is more compact is the tilting carrier is in with the rest of the action. If you tried to adapt '92 parts to a frame like the Henry, what are you going to do about that?

The '92 was designed from the ground up to be different from any of the toggle link guns. John M Browning took his 1886 design and basically shrunk it down for 'pistol length' cartridges like the 44-40 and 38-40. Inside, the toggle links and the '92 are radically different. About the only features they share are a trigger, and external hammer, and a finger lever. But inside it is all completely different.
That's bad business! How long do you think I'd stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he'd pay me that much to stop robbing him, I'd stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

Joe Lansing

To what end?

J.L.

Stillwater

He said, "A new kind of frame."

I take that to mean a new frame that has the OUTWARD appearance of a Henry frame, but a frame that could be made to accept the internals of a 1892 Winchester.

As a former mechanical designer, in the Aerospace Industry, I don't think that would be too much of a stretch to do that. All it would take would be very deep pockets.

You would wind up with a rifle with a modified frame that appeared to be like an 1860 Henry, in profile only, but on close inspection would actually be a disguised 1892 Winchester.

All that would need to be done is to insert the barrel and magazine deeper into the newly redesigned frame, to use up the extra length of the Henry frame, thus maintaining the outward profile of the 1860 Henry frame. Then machining the rest of the frame to accept the 1892 Winchester internals.

Remember the newly designed frame, would only look like an 1860 Henry frame in profile only.

It could be done. But it begs the question, WHY...! It would cost a lot of money to redesign the Henry frame. You would end up with a $60,000.00 one of a kind toy. IF it could be done for sixty grand...!

Bill

Pettifogger

Anything can be done.  But the question has to be why?  What would such an expensive alteration do that the current mechanism accomplish?  The toggle link is actually much faster in competition that a 92.  I simply fail to see the point of such an exercise.

Stillwater

Quote from: Pettifogger on August 25, 2010, 05:26:45 PM
Anything can be done.  But the question has to be why?  What would such an expensive alteration do that the current mechanism accomplish?  The toggle link is actually much faster in competition that a 92.  I simply fail to see the point of such an exercise.

I think you have missed the point of the gentlemens question... He wanted a Henry styled receiver with the stronger internal pieces of the 1892 Winchester, doing away with the toggle link action...

However, you're right, there wouldn't be much point to the exercise, other than personal satisfaction.

Bow View Haymaker

http://www.henryrepeating.com/h006_bigboy.cfm

maybe this is what your looking for?

take the wood off of the forend and you sort of have a looki kinda like the original.  with more modern internals.
Bow View Haymaker

GAF #522  Dept of the Platte
SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

www.HighPlainsShootersSupply.com

Professor Marvel

Quote from: Bow View Haymaker on August 25, 2010, 09:14:42 PM
http://www.henryrepeating.com/h006_bigboy.cfm

maybe this is what your looking for?

take the wood off of the forend and you sort of have a looki kinda like the original.  with more modern internals.

Then, one could re-machine the profile a tad, and manufacture a replacement for the gawd-awful magazine tube that looks like a refugee from a .22 on steroids...

It the outline were further camoflagued with tasteful engraving, could it pass at a distance for a yellowboy?

I am on the prowl for a new levergun in .44 mag ...
Perchance I could acquire one very cheaply from a disenchanted shooter in .44 extra long and experiment with the milling machine :-)
yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Driftwood Johnson

Well for one thing, the side plates would have to go away. The mechanism of a '92 requires solid metal for the parts to bear on in the areas where the side plates of a Henry are. So you would have to make it all solid, and machine the sides to look like attached side plates.

I'll just stick with my Henry the way it is, thanks.
That's bad business! How long do you think I'd stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he'd pay me that much to stop robbing him, I'd stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

Professor Marvel

Quote from: Driftwood Johnson on August 26, 2010, 02:42:19 PM
Well for one thing, the side plates would have to go away. The mechanism of a '92 requires solid metal for the parts to bear on in the areas where the side plates of a Henry are. So you would have to make it all solid, and machine the sides to look like attached side plates.

Ah yes, my dear Driftwood

when these strange vapors affect my little grey cells, it seems it really is best if I simply go lie down until the dementia passes.

My Lovely Spousal Unit (She Who Must Be Obeyed) actually puts up with listening to the various fever-dreams that I periodically spew aloud...

or ... she seems to...

perhaps the response of "Yes Dear" followed by "Did You say something Dear" should be telling me something ?

yhs
prof marvel
(it's a marvel that head works for anything besides a hatrack)
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Stillwater

Quote from: Driftwood Johnson on August 26, 2010, 02:42:19 PM

Where is your spirit of adventure?

I just bought a steel framed Henry today. And, I will leave it alone too...!

Bill

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com