Looking for a stitching horse

Started by Biscuit Joe, August 14, 2010, 11:43:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biscuit Joe

Hi everyone.
I'm looking for a stitching horse. I just seem to find one for sale anywhere.
Does any one here  know where they can be purchased?
Thanks
Joel

Dalton Masterson

You looking for the kind you sit on, or the kind you put between your knees (pony)?

I got my pony from Ace Lungger, but it is tall enough it sits on the floor and my fit sit on the bottom to steady it. I dont know if he is up to making more, but he makes a nice one when he can.

Otherwise, auctions and antique shops are where I have seen the sit on types.
DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Marshal Will Wingam

I've seen them occasionally on ebay. Junk shops often have them. I saw one recently in a collectables shop in Sonora.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Cliff Fendley

I've seen horses in Weaver leather catalog. You can buy a cheap made pony from Tandy.

I prefer to use a pony and made mine a few years back.

I saw plans for building a horse a while back but can't remember where right now.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

panhead pete

Mornin' Biscuit,

Weaver Leather still has them in their catalog.  Siegel Leather of California used to sell a stitching clam.  It is like a huge pair of tweesers that you place between your knees to hold the work.  It takes a little getting used to.  If you have the the horse is probably a better bet.

Best,

Panhead Pete

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

I'm with Dalton on this one, Ace Lunger made mine, and I swear by it, in fact every time I use it , I could give Ace a big Bear Hug, he made mine to my specifications, no more back ache and sewing is now comfortable and fun, I don't know if he is still making them, but you could pm him and ask.

tEN wOLVES  :D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

goodtime annie

http://grandpaspastime.com/WoodProducts.aspx Dale Grabowski  makes the ones that Hide Crafter use to sell.
Goodtime Annie

Take pride in how far you have come and have faith in how far you can go!

http://www.facebook.com/AnnNewkold.LeatherEmporium

Biscuit Joe

Thanks for the replies
I'm looking for the kind that is a bench with the Jaws attached. A sit on type.

I'd check out the suggestions at Weaver. But I don't have a Tax ID number. I'll give Siegel's a call on Monday

I'd make it myself if I had that type of talent. Maybe I'll haf'ta try it. :-\

I hate to bother Ace about it. Haven't seen him here in a while.

Annie,
I gave the gentleman you suggested an email at least a week ago and haven't heard back yet.

So...
Thanks Gang for all the help and suggestions. I guess I'll have to keep looking.
Joel

goodtime annie

Dale does a lot of the horse shows in TX and is sometimes gone for weeks at a time. This is the season for them in TX
Goodtime Annie

Take pride in how far you have come and have faith in how far you can go!

http://www.facebook.com/AnnNewkold.LeatherEmporium

knucklehead

check ebay. just saw a design that you are looking for there last weekend
I'M #330 DIRTY RAT.

Cliff Fendley

Someone also had one on Leatherworker.net. Looked like a nice old Randal. I'd love to have it myself but other things are more pressing.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Boothill Bob

BJ, make your own stitching horse, I did mine from the pattern in
the book HAND SEWING LEATHER. Its a good helping hand  :)
Shoot fast and aim straight

SASS#83079 SWS#1246

Dr. Bob

There is one here in an antique mall in Independence, MO.  A nice antique one and in great condition.  It is not cheap, but I don't remember the price.  I can check tomorrow in you are interested.
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

nordmarc

I have an old stitching horse for sale. It's the bench kind that you sit on. It's fully functional, good working order. If you're interested I can send you a picture.

Quote from: Biscuit Joe on August 14, 2010, 11:43:21 PM
Hi everyone.
I'm looking for a stitching horse. I just seem to find one for sale anywhere.
Does any one here  know where they can be purchased?
Thanks
Joel

TN Mongo

I see them several times a year at estate sales.  Google estate sales in your area, many of the sales have pictures posted of stuff at the sale.  I have found all kinds of leather tools, shooting stuff, and tools at these sales.

Biscuit Joe

Wow someone found this old thread.
I thank you all for your input. I did eventually get one from Weaver. Got it late last fall.
Shoot fire, to boot, it's even tall enough for me. ;D

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy pard

Post a picture when you can, sounds like a good one, you just can't beat a good stitching horse.

tEN wOLVES  ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

WaddWatsonEllis

I bought mine from another leatherworkier on here ... and I love it!

The original owner/builder bulit it with tool wells on the arms that tend to keep needles, awls and needlenose pliers nearby.

I also have one of Ace Lunger's Stitching ponies ... and I wll attach pics of both

Stitching Pony by Ace Lunger:

My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

WaddWatsonEllis

BTW,

When I was looking for a stitching horse I  found plans for one in an old farmer's book of plans .... The tip was gven to me by a another member and the address is on cascity.com in another thread on the leather channel. If you are interested, look for one theat I started on Stitching horses .... the plans were for repairing arnesses and larger stuff, but would work very well for a normal stitching horse ....
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

NCOWS #3403

WaddWatsonEllis

HI Again,

I just realized that the pic did not show the 'Tool Bays' that I am so fond out .... It would be really easy to add them on it anyone wanted to ... so here is a new pic ... it was taken in morning ambient light, so my appologies on the darkness ...

NCOWS #3403

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com