Cap `n Ball Verses Holy Black Cartridge....

Started by Paladin UK, July 14, 2010, 01:20:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Here in Merry ole England we HAVE to use C&B We have No other choice

Prefer C&B
15 (55.6%)
Prefer BP Cartridge
12 (44.4%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Paladin UK

It is a reeeeeeeeel shame that we cant even be trusted with a single shot .22 pistola!!

So it got me ta thinkin ::).......

How many pards in the free world shoot C&B Purely because they feel its how they wanna portray their own little vision of how they `Won the West`!!

I gotta tell ya I lurv my muzzle stuffers BUT I honestly do not know IF I would still prefer them iffn I could use either

Soooooooo, gimme yer preference `n` why it is so.....

Paladin (Whats gotsta know  ;) ) UK
I Ride with the `Picketts Hill Marshals`..... A mean pistol packin bunch a No goods

The UK`s 1st Warthog!!... Soot Lord, and Profound believer in tha....`Holy Black` 
MASTER... The Sublyme & Holy Order of the Soot (SHOTS)
  BWSS#033  SCORRS  SBSS#836L  STORM#303

Real Cowboys Shoot with BLACK POWDER!!

Paladins Web Site

Paladins Very Own Shotshell Loader This is an animaton so it takes a while fer the 1st page ta go..

Noz

Just because I want to.
Cartridges are way easier.

Qball

It's way cooler with Cap'n Ball   ;D
Even sold my cartridge pistols in favor for my old Remington twins
WartHog
SCORRS
SootLord
STORM

Grapeshot

Cap and ball revolvers are really neat and I still have a pair of 1860 Colt Armies by Pietta.

That being said, The cartridge guns are far easier to reload and are far more reliable when the hammer comes down.

I haven't shot my C&B's in over seven years.
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

hellgate

C&B because I don't know better. ;D
C&B because it is more authentic. >:(
C&B because I like showing folks that they can be quite reliable. :)
C&B because they are way cool to watch and shoot. :D
C&B because they are cheap so I can have at least a dozen and not go broke. :o
C&B because they all come with a free single stage reloading press under the barrel. ;)
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Percussion Pete

C&B because..........

They look way better than any other revolver.

I hate taking the easy way.

No choice if I want to shoot Frontiresman (not that I want a choice)

Good enough for Wild Bill and Josey........Good enough for me.

So there.
Pete

Driftwood Johnson

Howdy

I prefer cartridges for two reasons.

1. It is easier to clean a bored through cylinder than it is to clean a C&B cylinder.

2. In This Cowboys Humble Experience, cartridges are more reliable than C&B.

I have no issue with the extra time it takes to load a C&B, as a matter of fact shooting C&B means less time at he loading bench making up cartridges.

That's bad business! How long do you think I'd stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he'd pay me that much to stop robbing him, I'd stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

Fingers McGee

Quote from: hellgate on July 14, 2010, 03:58:16 PM
C&B because I don't know better. ;D
C&B because it is more authentic. >:(
C&B because I like showing folks that they can be quite reliable. :)
C&B because they are way cool to watch and shoot. :D
C&B because they are cheap so I can have at least a dozen and not go broke. :o
C&B because they all come with a free single stage reloading press under the barrel. ;)
What Hellgate said. 

FM
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Goatlips

If I could reload my c&b's and still have enough time to cope with the minor emergencies that I always seem to encounter I'd like to use 'em as match guns, but at my age everything has to go a lot slower and I often fumble.  Anyhow I sometimes load up four of them to use on the last two stages in case I haven't shot well on the first three and want to have some real fun.  Gotta say that I have extra respect for the C&B'rs I shoot with.  ;D

Goatlips

Howdy Doody

Cold weather it is cartridge for me. As soon as the weather breaks I start in with C&B. I have ROAs. I load the same bullet (yes bullet) in my ROAs as I do my cartridges and the same amount of powder and my RVs shoot nearly, but not quite the same as the ROAs. I also have Remmies and they shoot way different and I have to get used to them each time I pull them out to shoot.

If they ever come out with a FCGF class, I will stick to cartridge. I love having two out and it feels old west to me.
yer pard,
Howdy Doody
Notorious BP shooter

Major 2

I don't reload...I know, I know  :-\  it would save money in the long run
I just don't have the interest.

If I want a day's enjoyment of shooting, I want to shoot not sitting at bench....

that said... I enjoy cartridge, but the real pleasure is from my Colt 2nd Gen. 1860's and 51's
One of the 1860's has a R&D drop in the other C&B...
The 51's are similar one still  C&B the other a Richard & Mason conversion.

I can shoot all day if I like with a pound of 3fff , box of balls, and tin of caps or
I can burn through the whole morning with purchased Black Hills or Black Dawg fixed cartridges.
Both give me pleasure.

So in the spirit of your poll....BP & C&B , but I hold my conversions on high as well.
when planets align...do the deal !

Percussion Pete

So far, the C&B is winning.

Wild Bill is smiling. ;D
Pete

Paladin UK

PP says.....

QuoteSo far, the C&B is winning.

I gotta tell ya`ll its warming ole PUK`s heart,  :D
I honestly thought C&B would have been the ......
LOOOOOOSER!!

Still its only day one so we`ll have a better handle on it after the weekend

Paladin (Whats looking forward to the comp on Sunday  ;D ) UK
I Ride with the `Picketts Hill Marshals`..... A mean pistol packin bunch a No goods

The UK`s 1st Warthog!!... Soot Lord, and Profound believer in tha....`Holy Black` 
MASTER... The Sublyme & Holy Order of the Soot (SHOTS)
  BWSS#033  SCORRS  SBSS#836L  STORM#303

Real Cowboys Shoot with BLACK POWDER!!

Paladins Web Site

Paladins Very Own Shotshell Loader This is an animaton so it takes a while fer the 1st page ta go..

fourfingersofdeath

I'm pretty new to Cap and Ball and have never competed with them. I'm still sorting things out. They are a lot more trouble at the range (but then again you don't need to reload at home, just bring the bits.

When I get fully sorted, I will probably try competing with them, but like Goat Lips, I'm an old fart and as slow as a wet weekend and have the odd fumble. I also have a reasonably recent scar on my strong hand, just near the base of my index finger. Guess where the hot caps lodge??? :(

I am determined to get serious and start practicing.

How do you safely dry fire with a cap and ball (I have ROAs which I will be competing with).

I also have an old target sighted long barreled ROA which I fancy competing in the Black Powder Bullseye matches they hold here.
All my cowboy gun's calibres start with a 4! It's gotta be big bore and whomp some!

BOLD No: 782
RATS No: 307
STORM No:267

www.boldlawdawgs.com

Lucky R. K.

:D I shoot both Frontier Cartridge and Frontiersman but my favorite is Frontiersman.  The ROA'S are a treat to shoot.  I love my Varqueros but the "cap & ball" guns are just more fun.

I am leaving for the range in a few minutes to burn a tin of caps. ;D
Greene County Regulators       Life NRA             SCORRS
High Country Cowboys            SASS #79366
Gunpowder Creek Regulators   Dirty RATS #568

The Wind is Your Friend

Percussion Pete

Quote from: fourfingersofdeath on July 16, 2010, 07:34:11 AM
I'm pretty new to Cap and Ball and have never competed with them. I'm still sorting things out. They are a lot more trouble at the range (but then again you don't need to reload at home, just bring the bits.

When I get fully sorted, I will probably try competing with them, but like Goat Lips, I'm an old fart and as slow as a wet weekend and have the odd fumble. I also have a reasonably recent scar on my strong hand, just near the base of my index finger. Guess where the hot caps lodge??? :(

I am determined to get serious and start practicing.

How do you safely dry fire with a cap and ball (I have ROAs which I will be competing with).

I also have an old target sighted long barreled ROA which I fancy competing in the Black Powder Bullseye matches they hold here.

A few ways to dry fire, but I find taking out the nipples the safest.
Pete

Crow Choker

I voted cap an' ball. I've only been shooting cart blk powder for several years now(44 Colt in '72 Open Top) and even though the after shooting clean-up is easier and quicker, I can shoot more rounds per shooting session, it's easier stuffin' "six in the wheel" than using loose powder an' ball, and I don't have to "drag" all the odds an ends along with me needed to shoot c&b-there's something about shootin'  the cap an' ballers that is hard to explain. Something spiritual I quess, to be loading and shooting like they did it in days gone by, takin ya back to the "days of yesteryear" without being there. My favorite-a 2nd Model Dragoon, my second favorite-all of the rest of 'em. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D-----that's six 'Smilelys for six rounds of 44 caliber balls leaving the 'tube' powered by smelly, dirty black powder! (Actually like the smell, just I as do of Ballistol and Hoppe's #9)
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Noz

I've found a small source for #11 caps. They are not reliable enough for matches but allow me to "dry fire" protecting the nipples with the caps.

Just make very sure you don't have a charged chamber and Momma and the cat are aware you are going to do it.  After one attempt I was politely informed that the basement was not far enough away.

fourfingersofdeath

Quote from: Noz on July 16, 2010, 04:24:28 PM
I've found a small source for #11 caps. They are not reliable enough for matches but allow me to "dry fire" protecting the nipples with the caps.

Just make very sure you don't have a charged chamber and Momma and the cat are aware you are going to do it.  After one attempt I was politely informed that the basement was not far enough away.

Sounds good, buttttttttttt, at 11cents a cap here in Australia, I think I will pass on that one.
All my cowboy gun's calibres start with a 4! It's gotta be big bore and whomp some!

BOLD No: 782
RATS No: 307
STORM No:267

www.boldlawdawgs.com

Oddman

I shoot c&b guns 1851's,1860's and 1858's most of the time I use r&d cylinders with bp, a lot less stuff to take to the range, and less clean up.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com