Volcanic,

Started by CRM, July 01, 2010, 07:45:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CRM

Does anyone know if this gun appeared in any other movie?

CRM

Here.

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

http://www.pbase.com/stusmithphoto/image/122056859

Apparently not, according to;

http://www.imfdb.org/index.php/For_a_Few_Dollars_More

"El Indio is seen brandishing a Volcanic rifle early in the film and later Manco carries one during the duel between Mortimer and El Indio. This gun bears a resemblance to the 1860 Henry Rifle presented to President Lincoln solely because it is a predecessor to the 1860 Henry Rifle designed by B. Tyler Henry. Regardless of any indication by Uberti, the weapon seen in the film is not their reproduction as no firm has EVER, EVER, EVER, engineered a reproduction of the Volcanic rocketball system, such being virtually impossible as no ammunition is manufactured and it was very unsuccessful to begin with. Watch the movie and you will see that the rifle is actually never fired, probably because such was IMPOSSIBLE, especially with regard to the creation of a "studio blank," something that could have been engineered with .44 Henry. Notice the thumbnail of an actual Henry rifle which is quite heavy and massive compared to the small-framed Volcanic which was also available as a pistol(note also the receiver sight on the Volcanic , a dead giveaway). Pictures of both the Volcanic rifle and pistol are available at winchestercollector.org and the confusion here is somewhat understandable as I have never seen a Volcanic rifle utilized in any other film, something that makes this film unique. "

Remember this?  We might see some volcanic shots in future movies!

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,31560.0.html
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

Harley Starr

I'd love to see more of these in future movies.
A work in progress.

CRM

Sir Charles,

I do remember that "self made 40 caliber Volcanic thread", I am the one who made that Rifle.

Thanks for that link showing all those Volcanic pictures, that is the finest collection of detail photo's that I have ever seen.

I am presently building another (all steel) 20" Rifle. This gun will be fully engraved with Gold inlay, by a "Master Engraver". I will post pictures next year, when everything is said and done.

Sorry for posting here in the "Henry Forum", but ye don't got a place for me.

While I'm here,
I remember reading somewhere that the "Mormons" carried a couple of Volcanic Rifles with them on their pilgrimage out to Utah. Does anyone know anything about this?

I also heard that Jeb Stuart, a "Confedrate General" had a couple, possable to see if they would benifit the Confererate cause.

Any and all information conserning this gun would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Charlie

Henry4440

Quote from: CRM on July 08, 2010, 07:23:03 AM

While I'm here,
I remember reading somewhere that the "Mormons" carried a couple of Volcanic Rifles with them on their pilgrimage out to Utah. Does anyone know anything about this?

Journal of Discourses Vol. 5 , by George A. Smith, 1858

Page13
......I came up the Missouri River with some Free State men, who said, "If ever a fuss breaks out again, we are ready for it; we have got the "Volcanic Rifles," and we calculate to wipe the border ruffians out of existence.......

;)

hawkeye2

Has anyone ever figured what that piece of flat bar is screwed to the left side of the reciever of the movie gun for?

CRM

I believe that was for an "after market" Peep Sight to mount on.

The Volcanic Rifles had the rear sight mounted on the Action, the early Henry's did also. It was learned that this was too close to the eye to focus clearly with the front sight, so they moved it out on the barrel, and there is where it has been ever sence.

Back where that plate is would be an ideal place for a peep sight.

I watched the tail end of "A Few Dollars More" last night on the TV, and noticed the "Cartridge Pusher" was midway down the barrel, indicating the Rifle was loaded, (nice touch)

Henry4440

Quote from: CRM on July 18, 2010, 09:05:57 AM
I believe that was for an "after market" Peep Sight to mount on.

The Volcanic Rifles had the rear sight mounted on the Action, the early Henry's did also.

Here iare two pics from the Henry Rifle sn.6683.

Look at the front sight.
;)

CRM

Well the front sight just has a hood on it. It's the rear sight that has my attention, I believe it is a Peep.

First time I ever seed a Henry with a rear sight installed.

I'v seen um with the Dovetail, but no sight.

Major 2

CRM   .... don't you fret  "Sorry for posting here in the "Henry Forum", but ye don't got a place for me."

HERE is the place for you, you're most welcome , as is your fine work.

when planets align...do the deal !

Henry4440

A pic from the Volcanic carbine sn.100

;)

hawkeye2

Here iare two pics from the Henry Rifle sn.6683.

Regarding this rifle, thanks for posting the photos, very interesting.  It looks like the rear sling swivel was moved from the side of the butstock to the bottom and I believe the front swivel is usually fruther down the barrel.  Sure does look like the rear sight is a peep so it would work fine where it is.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com