Old West Photograph Archives....Please Post Your Photos Here!!!!

Started by Shotgun Steve, June 21, 2010, 10:48:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delmonico

I'm guessing you mean the guy closest to the lady, nope his shirt has a wrinkle that makes a shadow:

Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Deadeye Dick

You're right. What a difference your full resolution made.
Thanks,
Deadeye Dick
NRA LIFE, NCOWS #3270, BLACK POWDER WARTHOG, STORM #254,
  DIRTY RATS #411, HENRY #139, PM KEIZER LODGE #219  AF&AM

Delmonico

Quote from: Deadeye Dick on August 28, 2010, 11:32:31 PM
You're right. What a difference your full resolution made.
Thanks,
Deadeye Dick

Yep, also notice his shirt appears to be one of the button up the back ones also, they were fairly common for dress shirts.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Delmonico

Another interesting one with a windmill is this one:

Not a lot on this one (picture 14595 in the Butcher Collection)

Family in front of a sod house in northwestern Custer County, Nebraska.

Date 1890-91.

My guess is it is either another flour mill or more likely has some sort of machine shop set up in it. 

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

'Monterrey' Jack Brass

All,

In keeping with this thread about period photos and what we can learn from them I'm posting a period photo, below left, of Mrs Martha Maxwell dressed in a ladies' sporting outfit from 1878 (page 303 Hunting the American West: The Pursuit of Big Game for Life, Profit, and Sport, 1800-1900 by R. Rattenbury, 2008). On the right is a photograph I made yesterday of my lady Maria wearing a similar outfit we just finished last weekend – jacket and overskirt are inspired by the original photograph of Mrs Maxwell, though the trousers are historic conjecture as little of them are visible in the 1878 photograph. The jacket is of linen with period brass dome buttons and was made using a modified late 1870s cuirass bodice pattern, the skirt is of matching linen and made from a shortened late 1870s tie-back underdress pattern - both from Ageless Patterns. The dark green wool trousers are made from a County Cloth/Chas Childs RD pattern with a reduced waist size, no pockets, and no provision for suspenders.

The point of posting this is to show how Maria and I used a period photograph to base an outfit and alternate impression on. We are fortunate to have period photographs to use in conjunction with catalog references and decent patterns, and by using such resources can better recreate solid living history impressions. She will use this same outfit for such activities as playing croquet at some living history events, ice skating this Winter with an overcoat we made and restored original skates, and if she got the gumption to ride a horse (and I the gumption to restore a side saddle) this outfit would serve tolerably well as a riding habit with the addition of a proper top hat and cooperative horse.

Unfortunately my photograph is a bit underexposed and the focus could be better. Also the hunting bag in the photograph, based on an 1871 sporting catalog illustration, is in lieu of a game bag that I have yet to complete. I'll reshoot this picture at a future date to make it a closer match to the original 1878 photograph.

Brass
NRA Life, VFW Life, F&AM 
Old West Research & Studies Association
amateur wetplate photographer

Tjackstephens

Texas Jack Stephens:   NRA, NCOWS #2312,  SASS # 12303, Hiram's Ranger #22,  GAF #641, USFA-CSS # 185, BOSS# 174,  Hartford Lodge 675, Johnson County Rangers,  Green River Gunslingers, Col. Bishop's Renegades, Kentucky Col.

'Monterrey' Jack Brass

All – To supplement my post in this thread I'm adding a wetplate photograph made yesterday of the lovely Ms Hunt, James Hunt's daughter. She's wearing Maria's sporting outfit as a riding habit in the photo below and looks great. This photograph illustrates the versatility of a lady's period sporting outfit in such an application.

Brass

p.s. Ms Hunt's horse is rock-steady and performed well for the 8 second exposure. Kudos to both the rider and the horse for providing a great photograph!

NRA Life, VFW Life, F&AM 
Old West Research & Studies Association
amateur wetplate photographer

Dr. Bob

Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Dead I

Quote from: Shotgun Steve on June 21, 2010, 10:53:11 AM

An old stereoview. No Date or info. ;D ;D ;D

The fellow wearing the barrel is undergoing some kind of punishment.  This was common during the Civil War.  He my be a thief.  Sometimes they shaved their heads as well. This punishment was embarrassing, and much better than having to sit on a 2x4 all day long, which was very painful.   

River City John

If you read the caption, it says that" McGisty's pants were stolen".

I don't think he's undergoing a punishment, but surely some embarrassment.

Usually these were a series of views that told a comic story or the like, or a moral tale, such as the Rake's Progress.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Delmonico

Quote from: River City John on September 14, 2010, 07:10:38 PM
If you read the caption, it says that" McGisty's pants were stolen".

I don't think he's undergoing a punishment, but surely some embarrassment.

Usually these were a series of views that told a comic story or the like, or a moral tale, such as the Rake's Progress.

RCJ

Besides that if you look into it, the barrel used for punishment was a full sized salt pork barrel which was much heavier and covered the whole bdy except the head and part of the legs.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com