Old West Photograph Archives....Please Post Your Photos Here!!!!

Started by Shotgun Steve, June 21, 2010, 10:48:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delmonico

This one has been kicked around several times in several places, got something a bit unusual for the time and place in it.  Picture 15215 in the Butcher collection.  Date is 1887 and place is just listed as Custer County Nebraska.

Still ain't figured out why the oddity is in the picture.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Books OToole

Quote from: Shotgun Steve on July 10, 2010, 10:39:06 AM
Books are you guys saying that I am still posting too many pictures??? I am not sure what was meant by your last post??

Steve

Steve;

Quite the contrary, I really enjoy your photographic posts.
That picture that I posted was the first one I have done.  It is a milestone for this semi-computer literate cinder dick.

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Blair

Books OToole,

What I like about your posted photo is the '66 Winchester has sling swivels and a sling!
Not an unheard of Winchester feature, but somewhat unique as a special feature order.
From what I can see of the firearm in the photo, it appears to be a pretty typical type IV 1866 variation (1873 through to 1899). However, this does appear to be a Winchester type feature from what I can see. It may give you the ability to get and idea on the manufacture date. (Knowing the serial Number of the weapon itself would be the sure fired fix, but you can't get that from just the photo)
Just an idea on my part for "maybe" being able to find out more on the firearm,
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Books OToole

Quote from: Blair on July 10, 2010, 01:34:13 PM
Books OToole,

What I like about your posted photo is the '66 Winchester has sling swivels and a sling!

Blair;

Now that you mention it; that is probably why I added that image to my collection.  I plan to add PC sling swivels and a sling to my '66.  Eventually. (The 1st modification was to tweak it to handle .44 Russians.)

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Shotgun Steve

Books I wasn't trying to be a jerk I was just double checking as sometimes
it is hard to know a persons true feelings on the internet. I initially took it in the manner of the way
it was posted, but I wanted to be sure. I have gotten a few PM's to the contrary so in the interest
of getting along with eveyone (which by the way I don't normally go out of my way to do ;D) I thought
I would ask. Thanks Books.

Shotgun
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same of them."

Home of the Plainsmen
http://lastoftheplainsmen.freeforums.org/index.php

NCOWS# 2910
STORM#  233
GAF# 693
U.S. Army
U.S. Marine Corp
Michigan Army National Guard

Blair

Books OToole,

.44 Russian is an excellent choice.
Within the S & W line, it is a direct descendent from the .44 Henry to the .44 S & W American, aka., .44 Henry center fire. Used in various S & W's, Colt conversions, the "Open Top" and the center fire alterations of the '66 to center fire by Winchester and some gunsmiths.

I have modified two '66's.
One from a type IV .44-40 Carbine to a .45 Colt Rifle with several 1873 features. Shot gun butt plate/stock, '73 forearm and sights.
The other from a  standard type IV Rifle in .45 Colt to a early type II Rifle.
This has a Henry Rifle profile frame, with a loading gate and forearm added (no nose cap on the forearm)
Both, one very early 1867/8, the other quite late, post 1880's, shoot very well. Few people, however, have any idea what it is they are looking at.
The only thing that would have made them better would have been converting them to .44 S & W Russian. In my opinion, the best CAS/WAS competition round.
A Time for Prayer.
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Shotgun Steve

An S&W .44 Russian, found in the woods near Deadwood in 1937...engraved Charles Utter Georgetown Colorado...
Found on Michael Bane's blog.
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same of them."

Home of the Plainsmen
http://lastoftheplainsmen.freeforums.org/index.php

NCOWS# 2910
STORM#  233
GAF# 693
U.S. Army
U.S. Marine Corp
Michigan Army National Guard

Blair

The 1866 Winchester type II

A Time for Prayer.
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

kflach

OK Delmonico,

On behalf of the new & ignorant, I'll ask:

What is the "oddity?"

River City John

Look carefully below the chimney stack on the roof . . .
(It shows up much better on the full resolution image on the Butcher website: http://memory.loc.gov/award/nbhips/lca/152/15215v.jpg)
Delmonico wants to make a case that these are now documented in use during our timeframe. ;)

RCJ

p.s.
What I would like to know is why so much crap ended up on the roof? Was the guy prone to anger and chucked whatever he had in reach onto the roof in a fit?
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

kflach

Ol Gabe

OK, I'll bite...it looks like a large Crossbow, is that what the general consensus is? What was the funnel and tank on the buggy used for, milk, some other liquid or dry seeds to bag for storage?
Also liked the multi-colored buggy whip and the tiedown rope as well as the buggy seat the boys are setting on, makes you wonder were the other buggy is.
Best regards and good thinking!
'Ol Gabe

kflach

Delmonico

Quote from: River City John on July 12, 2010, 01:50:28 PM
Look carefully below the chimney stack on the roof . . .
(It shows up much better on the full resolution image on the Butcher website: http://memory.loc.gov/award/nbhips/lca/152/15215v.jpg)
Delmonico wants to make a case that these are now documented in use during our timeframe. ;)

RCJ

p.s.
What I would like to know is why so much crap ended up on the roof? Was the guy prone to anger and chucked whatever he had in reach onto the roof in a fit?

Well John, we kow they were around in an earier time, that is well documented, what I want to know and don't is what the heck some family in the 1880's is doing with one, I have my ideas, but will hold back for a whille and let you imagine.

As for the stuff on the roof according to John Carter, most of it is stuff Butcher wanted displayed but not in the foreground.

Quote from: Ol Gabe on July 13, 2010, 08:21:37 AM
OK, I'll bite...it looks like a large Crossbow, is that what the general consensus is? What was the funnel and tank on the buggy used for, milk, some other liquid or dry seeds to bag for storage?
Also liked the multi-colored buggy whip and the tiedown rope as well as the buggy seat the boys are setting on, makes you wonder were the other buggy is.
Best regards and good thinking!
'Ol Gabe

Gabe, I'd guess it's nothing but a large cream can to take the cream to town and trade for groceries, I remember riding to town in Grandpa's 49 Plymouth, in the back seat with the cream cans on the floorboards.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Delmonico

Here is another one with some interesting things in it:

Kearny Nebraska, 1887.

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

River City John

Telephone and electricity.

But I am more interested in the Kiddie Car.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Delmonico

Quote from: River City John on July 13, 2010, 05:26:05 PM
Telephone and electricity.

But I am more interested in the Kiddie Car.

RCJ

And you missed the nice new sewer lines going in under the kiddie car?

BTW that's picture # 13079 in the Butcher collection.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

River City John

I didn't miss 'em, as that was obviously the reason for the picture in the first place. Telephones and electricity were old news, but getting indoor plumbing was SPECIAL!
;D
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Delmonico

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Ol Gabe

Interesting pic of 'modern' items combined with 'old' items. The carriage is unique, we don't normally see them in pics like this one, the Kiddie Car is special as it was also a newer toy in that era and the horse drawn mower was a well known tool for farmers and ranchers. I like the closeup because it gives us a clear image of the mechanics of the Kiddie Car and the Fly Harness on the horse. I'm lucky to have the last one used on our farm hanging in the shed still in fairly good condition after all these years of 'retirement'. The new sewer line says it all, Kearney was up to date!
Regarding the crossbow, I wonder if it was used for fishing in the waterholes out on the prairie, a cane arrow would easily take a Carp or Catfish along a bank or in the shallows. Rabbits and other small game would follow as well with something like that and strong boys to pull the bowstring back.
Del, regarding the closeup of the funnel and can, what is your take on the cylinder leaning back on the Soddy wall behind the buggy?
Thanks again for the pics!
Best regards and good viewing!
'Ol Gabe

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com