Replica Cartridge Boxes

Started by Mordecai Scarlett, June 17, 2010, 10:51:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blair

Kflach,

I don't think that would be much of a problem with the modern brass cases and primers. The heads of these cases are pretty thick and would have to be handled rather roughly. 
The old rim fire and internal primed central fire drawn cooper cases were quite thin and a great deal more subject to damage. Even the slightly later externally primed balloon head cases are pretty heavy compared to the copper cases.

Now, getting large "Rifle" primers mixed up with/for large "Pistol" primers could give you reason for concern.
Just some thoughts on my part.
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Will Ketchum

Kflach, what I do is lift up the open end of the sack, let the rounds settle to the bottom parallel to each other and then role the sack up from bottom to top.  The rounds don't bang around and I just tuck the bag when needed into my vest  or pocket so I'm ready when called to the loading table.

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Curley Cole

Last summer I got really bored and I made a bunch of ammo boxes for me and some friends. (I even made one for GunClick Rick)

anyways I got plain white boxes from Midway and made them from those. (wish I could find 2 piece boxes like Chyenne made for their shotshell boxes..)

anyways enjoy

curley
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

Irish Dave

Quoteanyways I got plain white boxes from Midway and made them from those. (wish I could find 2 piece boxes like Chyenne made for their shotshell boxes..)

Coupla comments:

1) Don't know if there's any price difference, but I've also ordered the plain white boxes from the Top Brass folks. Thought I'd share that extra source.

2) The 2-piece jobs are what I believe they call "set-up boxes." Did a lot of hunting on the web for them and found several outfits that sell them. Sadly, never did find any that had them in a size that I could use for ammo. My guess is, however, that they'd be happy to make them in any size -- provided you bought a gazillion of them.

Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

RickB

I found some pre-made boxes on Midway USAs site. They look pretty good to me. Check them out.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=895055

They sell them at $16.00 for 5 boxes. Sure, it's not as fun as making your own, but it is a quick way for us lazy guys to get a little closer to period correct.

Ride Safe and Shoot Straight.
Rick.
Ride Safe and Shoot Straight.
Rick.

Dan Topper

Just a quick update on the cartridge box labels.  I have them available on our club's web site.  It is at www.wowsinc.org. On the upper left hand side you will see the link to "new NCOWS info page." Click on this, and there is a listing for the different labels that I use.

Dan Topper

Mild Will Cheatum

Does anyone have a replica label for a 45-70 Rifle ammo that would have been used by Army forces.    Trying to make up a set for the Army of the West.    Any help or directions of where to search would be greatly appreciated.  Cordially yours, Mild Will
NCOWS # 3228
SASS # 73594
HMCM USN/RET 1967-1993
RATS #410

Member, Dulzura Desperados
Sometimes Train Robber/Lawdawg - Shadow River Regulators

Definately born 100 years too late.

JimBob

Quote from: Mild Will Cheatum on August 23, 2011, 07:25:42 PM
Does anyone have a replica label for a 45-70 Rifle ammo that would have been used by Army forces.    Trying to make up a set for the Army of the West.    Any help or directions of where to search would be greatly appreciated.  Cordially yours, Mild Will

Sgt.John Chapman is the man to see,he has posted pictures of such labels. ;)

River City John

Quote from: Mild Will Cheatum on August 23, 2011, 07:25:42 PM
Yes, on our website in the label section for cartridge labels.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Dutch Limbach

Quote from: River City John on August 23, 2011, 09:27:58 PM
Yes, on our website in the label section for cartridge labels.

RCJ

Here is the URL of Ammunition Labels:
http://www.ncows.org/resources/ammolabels/ammo-index.html

Here is the 45-70 label:

"Men do not differ much about what they will call evils; they differ enormously about what evils they will call excusable."
-- G. K. Chesterton

"I guess when you turn off the main road, you have to be prepared to see some funny houses."
-- Stephen King

wildman1

If ya darken those 45-70 labels just a smidge afore ya print em it makes em look aged. WM
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Mild Will Cheatum

Thanks to all who helped.  Darn computors - I had google searched and not found anything but this morning when I tried again the sites that you all suggested show up.  I'm confused.  Tip of the hat to all.  Cordially yours, Mild Will
NCOWS # 3228
SASS # 73594
HMCM USN/RET 1967-1993
RATS #410

Member, Dulzura Desperados
Sometimes Train Robber/Lawdawg - Shadow River Regulators

Definately born 100 years too late.

Mogorilla

Here is one with no color.  Print it on what ever stock you want, will look like you bought it in 1876, and it is still 1876.   

wildman1

Here are two one darkened the other plain. WM
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Virginia Gentleman

Nice!  Does anyone else have any additional box art they want to share?

wildman1

They look even better with a little BP smudge on em. WM

Mean Bob Mean

Quote from: Virginia Gentleman on January 06, 2013, 01:43:13 AM
Nice!  Does anyone else have any additional box art they want to share?

I will put some of mine together in a jpeg so I can post them.  I am making custom box art for different loads/applications and trying to reimagine the Victorian mindset in terms of advertising on boxes.  In short, they are historically accurate in terms of some terminology and such, but not historically accurate at all in terms of ever having been made (some are quite fun though).  However, they are personalized and I really like coming up with artwork, fonts, slogans, etc. that get me in the spirit of things. 
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Fox Creek Kid

River City John, one label is in error on your link. The one marked .44 Colt by Remington is not a .44 Colt, but rather the .44 Remington which is not the same ctg. Just a heads up.  ;)

River City John

Quote from: Fox Creek Kid on January 21, 2013, 04:11:03 AM
River City John, one label is in error on your link. The one marked .44 Colt by Remington is not a .44 Colt, but rather the .44 Remington which is not the same ctg. Just a heads up.  ;)

Thanks, Brent. Dutch will read this and most likely follow up.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Blair

Fox Creek Kid,

Just curious, what makes them "not the same crt.", other than the manufacture?

Please look at the .44 Colt from Frankford Arsenal label, made for "Colt's and Remington's Revolvers".
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com