Remington Rolling Block barrel length ???

Started by Rowdy Fulcher, May 25, 2010, 06:49:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rowdy Fulcher

Howdy Pards
What barrel length do you prefer and what type of barrel . Do you hunt with yours or competitive shooting ?

Silver Creek Slim

Mine is a 30" octagon bull barrel that measures 1 1/8" flat to flat. I have hunted and target shot with it.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Otter

Mine is a 34" heavy oct (Badger). Before I put on the LR tang and globe sights it weighed in at 13 lbs 15 oz. I have taken several deer with it and a bunch of targets . . .
I hate rudeness in a man, I won't tolerate it . . . W.F. Call

NRA Endowment Life Member

Marshal Deadwood

I have a Pedersoli 30" heavy barrel , basic model,,,I'd prob sell. Fine shooter, but I'm more into Sharps rifles.

MD

Ol Gabe

OK, M.D.,
I see you have posted elsewhere about changing your Shiloh order, so what kinda $ do you want for your present Pedersoli and what is the history of it, serial #, when you bought it, etc.? What comes with it? Sights, brass, primers, cleaning tools, etc.?
Might have a CASH buyer if the price is right!
Best regards and good posting!
'Ol Gabe

Rowdy Fulcher

Howdy Pards
Do we have any Hunter / shooter who likes a shorter barrel length , say like a 26 inch round barrel .

john boy

Rowdy, I have no choice on barrel lengths for my RRB's.  They are all original:  35" and the 7mm carbine is 22".  I shoot paper and steel only
Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...
Brevet 1st Lt, Scout Company, Department of the Atlantic
SASS  ~  SCORRS ~ OGB with Star

Devote Convert to BPCR

Rowdy Fulcher

John Boy
Which weapon is your favorite the rifle or the carbine . The carbine sure is sweet handling . ;D

Rowdy Fulcher

Howdy Pards
If a gun company was to make a rolling block CARBINE in 45-70 who would be interested .

rustyrelx

I would, if it was done right and not a "one off".  It has to "look" correct to suit me.  Don
SFC USA ret-2004
76Y,45B,45K,63H
GAF 716

Rowdy Fulcher

Pancho Peacemaker

Rowdy,

I think any big bore single shot will have some fans if it's chambered in .45-70 (provided it is a period correct chambering for that rifle.)

Regarding competition, there are some upper limits on weight if you start shooting NRA sanctioned BPCR matches.  I'm sure lots of folks here know this.  This probably won't effect a carbine shooter (unless you have a really thick honker of a barrel), but it might limit your shooting class if you order an extra long and heavy barrel.  

I know one guy who ordered a really expensive Shiloh.  The custom specs he demanded put the rifle at 15#, 9 oz.  He was mighty p.o.'d when he decided to join BPCR shooting.

Maximum NRA rifle weights are:

Sillhouette Weight:  12 pounds 2 ounces

Creedmoor Weight International:  13 pounds

Creedmoor NRA Match Rifle:  15 pounds

Creedmoor Tollofson:  over 15 pounds
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

Yellowhouse Sam

30 in tapered octagon.  Rifle weighs 9.5 lbs & is original Sporter with that nasty curved Rem buttplate.   44-77 and loaded with a 420 PPB shoved by 85 gr of BP it will kick your butt off the bench.  Just think of it as a 45-70 on steroids.  Not too bad off hand or for hunting but a punisher nevertheless.

If I ever buy a Lone Star roller it will by golly weigh more than 11 lbs and it will have a shotgun buttplate.  I'll stick with the 30 in barrel.

And thats all I got to say about that.  Want sum cholklit?
SASS #25171
NRA
Retarred and Member of KMA
SBSS
"Sammy done his da**ndest, Angels could do no more" (From lyrics of Andy Wilkinson"

rustyrelx

I kind of like the barrels "the longer the better" 36" sporting barrels are so cool, 34" are good, 32" are acceptable, 30" ok, 28" boderline too short but ok.  Most of mine are around 10 to11 lbs......Don
SFC USA ret-2004
76Y,45B,45K,63H
GAF 716

Yellowhouse Sam

I saw a Lone Star roller the other day in 50-70 with a 28 in barrel and thought that would sure make for a good handling hunting rifle....just like back when.   The Shiloh Saddle Rifle also fits this bill. 
SASS #25171
NRA
Retarred and Member of KMA
SBSS
"Sammy done his da**ndest, Angels could do no more" (From lyrics of Andy Wilkinson"

Rowdy Fulcher

Sam
The Shiloh Saddle rifle is a Good Looker  AND SO IS THE SPORTIER NO.3

cpt dan blodgett

Got a 26 in hb Navy Arms Buffalo Rifle (pedersoli)

Still have not figured out what it likes to shoot.

It appears to be a process.  Know some things it does not like - progress is being made.
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Skyrider

Rowdy I have a 30 Inch barrel on my John Bodine Pederosoli Rolling Block. They only make it in 30 inch and 34 inch, so I wanted something that would in fact be lighter to tote around the hills looking for elk or deer. My 1874 Sharps tips the scales at 13.6 - LBS.
The Rolling Block is 11.5-pounds.
IRISH MIKE

Otter

Rowdy, I have a Rem RB (original action ca. 1879) with a 34" Badger heavy oct and Treebone butt & forend. Also have a Shiloh Sharps Hartford with a 30" heavy oct. RB weighs 2 oz shy of 14#, Sharps is about 12#, both are 45-70. I have hunted and taken Nebraska whitetails with both. I hunt from a stand or ground blind and there are few mountains in the area, so the weight is not a problem for me.
I hate rudeness in a man, I won't tolerate it . . . W.F. Call

NRA Endowment Life Member

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com