45-75 Uberti dies, anyone using them?

Started by Roscoe Coles, May 06, 2010, 02:45:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roscoe Coles

Its well known that the chamber spec for the 45-75 used by Uberti is different than the original Winchester (SAMI) spec.  I have talked with the Uberti brand manager and he tells me that the dimensions Uberti uses (which are the European standard) came from a French drawing of the 45-75 and that because its the standard in Italy, thats what they have to use.  For this reason, according to him, its quite unlikely that the Uberti 45-75 chamber dimensions will change (though there seems to be some data on this forum to contradict that).  Which leaves me with the need to get the correct sizing die for the Uberti Chamber.  I understand that C&H makes a die set specially for the Uberti chamber, but as its about $109! I would like to know if anyone is using them, and with what success, before I plunk down the frog hides. 

The voice of experience would be appreciated.

larryo_1

Roscoe:
Sorry I can't help you as I use Lee and RBCS dies.  I fire-form all my brass to my rifle's chamber and had RCBS make a Trim and File die for those fired cases.  Then I set the FL die to neck size only.  No problems on this end.  Might you give a think about doing something such as this? ;)
When in doubt, mumble!
NRA Endowment member

Cimarron

I have had similar questions.  I have emailed Uberti in Italy and gotten good response from them.  I emailed the Uberti U.S.A and was told that the .50-95 was very popular now and that I should get one of them (not much help at all).  I did not like the response from Uberti U.S.A. and that is the reason I decided to contact Uberti Italy.  Any way Suzanne Webb with Uberti Italy even went so far as to send me the tool room drawing of the current chamber reamer for .45-75.  I think the problem has been corrected.  A friend of mine here at CASCITY sent me a couple of cases.  One fire formed in his early Uberti and the other unfired that had the bullet and powder removed.  I took these to the Wannamacher Gun Show in Tulsa a few weeks ago and met a dealer that had two of the Uberti guns in .45-75 and he let me try to chamber the two cases.  The fire formed case would not chamber.  Both of these guns were new 2009 production.  This leads me to belive that the problem is corrected.  An email to Cimarron Firearms also confirmed that the problem has been corrected.  The european CIP standard is not the same as the SAAMI standard, and apparently the early Uberties were made to the CIP standard.  I have not orderd mine yet but will do so in the next few weeks based on the information that I have been able to gather.  I have gone ahead and purchased a set of RCBS dies in .45-75 WCF.  If you have one of the early production guns then the .45-75 Uberti dies would be the way to go.   
HOLY BLACK?  YOU MUST BE TALKING ABOUT PENNSYLVANIA ANTHRACITE!

Roscoe Coles

Hey Cimarron:
  I read your comments on another post but as I said, the Uberti brand manager is unaware of any changes as of this morning.  Mine was a fairly early gun and does have the different chamber.  However, its going back for some service due to an issue where a case caught on the sharp edge of the lower clearance cut on the barrel (the one that provides space for the cartridge shelf) and bent a burr up into the chamber.  I don't know what they will do about it as they say that they have no 45-75 barrels in stock at the moment, so I might end up with a new gun.  I think I will wait till it comes back before I look into new dies, just in case there is in fact a change.

Cimarron

Rosco,

Please keep me posted if they give you a new gun.  My friend here on CASCITY that sent me the cartridge cases has his rifle back at Taylors and they are rebarreling it.  This has been the issue that has held up me buying the Uberti until now.  Like I said in another post I hope to be ordering a .45-75 from Cimarron in the very near future.  I am hoping my tax refund will cover the purchase.

S. W. Dunn 

Asa Smith

I purchased a Cimarron Uberti 45-75 2 years ago, I was on the waiting list and received one of the first bunch.
After shooting it I was concerned about the balloning of the Jamison brass and the fact that the shoulder moved up almost .25 inch ! I called Cimarron and they were unaware of a problem.
At the time 45-75 brass was very scarce so I continued to load with my Lee dies, just sizing to the shoulder.
The gun was accurate and as this is the only gun in this caliber I own, I was going to live with it.
After reading all the info on the web about the chamber problems, I decided to call Cimarron again, this time they said they did have problems with a "few" of the early guns. They offered to rebarrel mine.
I sent it back to Cimarron in August of last year and got it back at the end on January this year.
I had kept some of the fired brass to see what the change was.
The diameter of the brass appears about he same but the shoulder is set back to the same place as the new brass and the resized brass.
The gun is now even better in accuracy .
I would like to find a neck sizing die so I don't have to work over the lower portion of the brass to much.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but was wondering if anyone knows of a neck sizing die available off the self (so to speak) ?

Thanks Asa  Smith

PS I bought a crossfire carbine in 45-60 Love this one even more !!!
Now all I need is a pistol grip Deluxe in 50-95 ! (called Cimarron and put in the request ;)
"Family is what counts, everybody else is just strangers"  Cowboys are family !!!

Cimarron

Asa,

Thanks for the information.  It validates what I have been told by Uberti and Cimarron.  I hope to be ordering my '76 in the very near future. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com