Cast Bullet Lube

Started by CavSoldier3ACR, April 30, 2010, 10:12:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CavSoldier3ACR

For those of you who cast your own for the 1876, what bullet lube do you prefer?  Has anyone tried SPG with smokeless loads?

larryo_1

I use a mix of 50/50 beeswax and water pump grease.  Have for 50 years and no complaints.  Got the idea from Elmer Keith when I met him back in the early 60's.  Works too! ;D
When in doubt, mumble!
NRA Endowment member

john boy

QuoteHas anyone tried SPG with smokeless loads?
SPG works good as a lube with both black powder and nitro based reloads
Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...
Brevet 1st Lt, Scout Company, Department of the Atlantic
SASS  ~  SCORRS ~ OGB with Star

Devote Convert to BPCR

Black River Smith

Larryo,

What is the brand or name of the water pump grease and where did you buy it.  I have heard of the use of water pump grease but I cannot find it at Walmart or even at the auto parts stores.

Thanks for the additional info.
Black River Smith

Ranch 13

Spg works alright with smokeless and black, I prefer sagebrush alox from www.sageoutfitters.com
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

Hobie

I switched to SPG for my bullets.  It is easier to just use SPG for ALL bullets than to try to switch.  That was a real pain!   ;D
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson

larryo_1

Black River Smith:
that could be a problem as the water pump grease that I have is what my dad used.  I would try at a Farm Impliments Store such as a John Deere store or such.  I still have a couple of parts of cans but when that runs out--I will be in the same boat.  When i go out to the shop I'll look at the brands and let you know later today.
When in doubt, mumble!
NRA Endowment member

larryo_1

Black River Smith:
I scampered out to the shop and here is what I have:  "Valvoline BG2 Medium Wheel Bearing Grease" and "MultiPurpose Lithium Grease-All Season" mfg by Metal Coat Grease and Oil Co. of St Paul, MN.  I don't see why you can't get any of this stuff at any Farm Impliment Store.  My cans are old--since the late 50's-early 60's as we have been and are farmers and need this stuff for our equipment so it should be readily available.  In fact-when you ask and they don't have either of these ask them what they do have instead.  You might get a raised eyebrow if you tell them it is for bullet lube. Good luck. ;)
When in doubt, mumble!
NRA Endowment member

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com