Unidentified Portrait of Man with Rifle

Started by Shotgun Steve, April 22, 2010, 09:32:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shotgun Steve

[Unidentified portrait of man with rifle.], 1908-1912
Gelatin dry plate negative
EES
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same of them."

Home of the Plainsmen
http://lastoftheplainsmen.freeforums.org/index.php

NCOWS# 2910
STORM#  233
GAF# 693
U.S. Army
U.S. Marine Corp
Michigan Army National Guard

Forty Rod

...and the ugliest pants I ever saw.   :D

Thanks, Steve.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Jed Cooper

Quote from: Forty Rod on April 22, 2010, 09:47:32 AM
...and the ugliest pants I ever saw.   :D

Thanks, Steve.
Yep, Them is uuuuuugly!! Still a cool Sharps though.   Jed
"Jed Cooper" aka: Dave Hollandsworth

Olde Cop,  NCOWS #2841, Maker of BIG SMOKE, GAF #500
F&AM PM, NRA Life, FOP - Retired , BOLD #615,* Warthawg! ,Hirams Rangers #31, 1860 Henry #97, STORM#351
Marshal - Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society,
http://greatlakesfmc.home.insightbb.com/scarlet.htm
Posse Member - http://home.insightbb.com/~greatlakesfmc/index.htm

Texas Lawdog

Dave, I would sorta like to have a pair of those pants with a coat and vest to match. I could wear em to the NCOWS banquet next year.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Jed Cooper

Quote from: Texas Lawdog on April 22, 2010, 11:56:29 AM
Dave, I would sorta like to have a pair of those pants with a coat and vest to match. I could wear em to the NCOWS banquet next year.
Jim, You, and Dr. Bob ;D ;D ;D    Jed
"Jed Cooper" aka: Dave Hollandsworth

Olde Cop,  NCOWS #2841, Maker of BIG SMOKE, GAF #500
F&AM PM, NRA Life, FOP - Retired , BOLD #615,* Warthawg! ,Hirams Rangers #31, 1860 Henry #97, STORM#351
Marshal - Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society,
http://greatlakesfmc.home.insightbb.com/scarlet.htm
Posse Member - http://home.insightbb.com/~greatlakesfmc/index.htm

Delmonico

I like the pants also, lots of guys wore plaid pants, even Wild Bill did at times.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Texas Lawdog

Dave, I need to find out if they have any plaid material at Fort Worth Tent and Awning. They make my clothes on special order.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Pancho Peacemaker

Nice mesquite shrubs in the background.

So. Texas for the picture locale?

Also, notice the 'dainty' gun belt & well manicured beard & nails.

I'm betting this fella is a wealthy dandy from back east who paid big money to travel down to the King Ranch to 'rough it' and hunt for a Muy Grande white tail deer with his daddy's old Sharps.
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

Stillwater

Quote from: Delmonico on April 22, 2010, 12:00:52 PM
I like the pants also, lots of guys wore plaid pants, even Wild Bill did at times.

I notice no suspenders to go with the gun belt. Which doesn't look like a regular gun belt... Hmmmmm

Bill

Dr. Bob

Bro. Lawdog,

Jean at James Country has my clothes made to order  She can get you set up with a plaid suit.  816-781-9473
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Ol Gabe

Interesting photo. A couple of observations, is this pic a reversal or is it a left-sided Sharps as the hammer appears to be on the left side? Is that a binocular box slung around his neck? Is that a Quail or some other wild game animal in the hand holding the muzzle of the firearm, and if so is it a SxS shotgun instead of a Sharps as mentioned in another post? Just curious, I used a magnifying program to get a closer look, in it the fancy stitching on his boots can also be seen.
Thanks for the pic S.S.
Best regards and good viewing!
'Ol Gabe

Tascosa Joe

The holster is a half skirt Mexican Loop the earlier of those date to about 1875.  The belt has no bullet loops, which i have seen belts similar in early 1870's Texas Ranger Pictures and he has his knife on the same side as the pistol holster.  Could this picture be earlier or is everything photographers props?  I still like those pants.  The breech of the weapon sure looks like a Sharps.
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Texas Lawdog

Bro. Bob, I wanna get me a suit made before the Convention next year.

Will Ketchum

I have a bolt of plaid worsted wool that I plan to have  "drummer's" suit made after I lose more weight. 

It is pretty wild.

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

44caliberkid

It looks like that guy who got the drop on Josey Wales, in the bushes, while he was attending the wounded kid.   He didn't last long after that.

Stillwater

Quote from: Ol Gabe on April 23, 2010, 07:58:27 AM
Interesting photo. A couple of observations, is this pic a reversal or is it a left-sided Sharps as the hammer appears to be on the left side? Is that a binocular box slung around his neck? Is that a Quail or some other wild game animal in the hand holding the muzzle of the firearm, and if so is it a SxS shotgun instead of a Sharps as mentioned in another post? Just curious, I used a magnifying program to get a closer look, in it the fancy stitching on his boots can also be seen.
Thanks for the pic S.S.
Best regards and good viewing!
'Ol Gabe

The rifle is a Sharps, and the picture is reversed...

Bill

boilerplatejackson

Just my 2 cents worth. The image is not reversed, as you can tell by the guys trouser fly. The hammer on the Sharps is
on the right side as it would be if the photo were were not reversed.

ChuckBurrows

Quote from: boilerplatejackson on May 16, 2010, 12:20:26 AM

Just my 2 cents worth. The image is not reversed, as you can tell by the guys trouser fly. The hammer on the Sharps is
on the right side as it would be if the photo were were not reversed.

Agreed - the fly is correct and the hammer on the Sharps is on the right side -
click on the thumbnail below to see an enlarged and Photoshopped as good as I could get it view....

IMO this photo should be dated maybe 20-25 years earlier - the plaid pants are typical of the California wool pants favored at that time - Charlie Russell for instance frequently shows such plaid pants on his cow hands. I don't think he's necessarily a Dandy either - his boots and gunrig appear to be well used  and such narrow belts are typical of the earlier era, with or without cartridge loops.
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

WaddWatsonEllis

The beard looks Edwardian; nattily trimmed and full faced.

I would guess an East Coast Dandy, Teddy Roosevelt follower or possibly English (those pants!) ... perhaps even a European Hunter ....
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

WaddWatsonEllis

Chuck; 

I stand corrected ... did not know that all of those things were extant that early ...
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com