10 Rounds in a 16" Rossi 92

Started by Trooper Zeke, April 13, 2010, 07:05:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trooper Zeke

The lever gun I had prior to getting into cowboy shooting was a Rossi Large Lever 16" carbine in .357. It specifications show a magazine capacity of 8 rounds of 357. This is obviously a problem for a sport where a 10 round capacity is called for. First thing I tried was to see how many .38 special rounds it would hold and that turned out to be nine and a half. To make up that extra half round I did a few things. First I cut some coils off the magazine tube spring. Even without trying to add extra rounds the final 5 or 6 coils of the spring were deformed so I cut them off. Next I found some shorter length .38 rounds, The Ultramax 125 gr rnfp measures out to 1.430" and the Georgia Arms 158 gr semi wad cutter is about 1.425". Next there is about .25 inches of metal on the back of the mag tube end plug you can remove to gain some additional room. I used a .454 casul case after cutting it to a lenth so it just goes past the hole in the mag tube for the retention screw and use that as an end plug. Final spring length was determined by loading 10 rounds in the magazine with the end plug out then putting in the cap and spring and looking thru the retention screw hole to see how many more coils I had to remove to get the end plug to fit. Warning don't try to reload anything less than about 1.425 oal, if you do the cartridge lock in the weapon will try and feed 2 rounds at a time don't ask me how I found this out . The Rossi 92 clone is pretty sensitive to overall cartridge length and I found it necessary to shim the right side cartridge guide to get it to feed reliably there are excellent instructions for doing this here      http://marauder.homestead.com/files/Rossi_92_cartridge_guide.htm

Paladin UK

Good info there pard!!

One of our posse got a 16in carbine I reckon he will well innerested in this fix!! ;D

Paladin (What lurvs his 92`s  :D ) UK
I Ride with the `Picketts Hill Marshals`..... A mean pistol packin bunch a No goods

The UK`s 1st Warthog!!... Soot Lord, and Profound believer in tha....`Holy Black` 
MASTER... The Sublyme & Holy Order of the Soot (SHOTS)
  BWSS#033  SCORRS  SBSS#836L  STORM#303

Real Cowboys Shoot with BLACK POWDER!!

Paladins Web Site

Paladins Very Own Shotshell Loader This is an animaton so it takes a while fer the 1st page ta go..

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com