Which flavor of 1873 Rifle?

Started by Modoc, April 11, 2010, 05:40:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Modoc

OK, I've been playing the game for a few years and am now getting frustrated with my rifle and am wondering which importer of 1873 in 357 I should buy.  I have not decided on whether to get the Rifle, Short (border) Rifle or Carbine having all three in 1892s.  I am not looking at putting a short stroke in and will be doing my own smithing for cleaning it up since I learned on restoring a Navy Arms Henry to shooting condition. So Which one and why?
Modoc

"He Who Laughs Last, Thinks Fastest"
SUDDS, SCORRS, Retired Warthog, Sometime Gunfighter, and Soot Deliante

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

For an 1873 rifle my vote is for Uberti, if Uberti is what you're looking for it doesn't really matter which importer, they're all Uberti's, and I haven't seen a bad one yet.

Regards

tEN wOLVES  :D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Jefro

Quote from: Ten Wolves Fiveshooter on April 11, 2010, 06:55:20 PM

For an 1873 rifle my vote is for Uberti, if Uberti is what you're looking for it doesn't really matter which importer, they're all Uberti's, and I haven't seen a bad one yet.

Regards

tEN wOLVES  :D
Yep, the main difference is customer service, and the folks at Taylor's are hard to  beat. Good Luck.
http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/

Jefro
sass # 69420....JEDI GF #104.....NC Soot Lord....CFDA#1362
44-40 takes a back seat to no other caliber

Fairshake

If you buy a Uberti 73 you might want to look at the Cowboy Shop which is run by Cody Congher. He only charges $250 and uses your parts, no aluminum carriers.
Deadwood Marshal  Border Vigilante SASS 81802                                                                         WARTHOG                                                                   NRA                                                                            BOLD So that His place shall never be with those cold and Timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat

Bangor Dan

I like the carbine....the flatter buttplate just feels best to me.

Bangor Dan

Camille Eonich

Cody does AWESOME work and he backs it more than 100%.  You just can't go wrong with him.
"Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left."
― Clint Eastwood

Modoc

Well, here is an update:

I just traded a semi-local pard a modern Rifle of small caliber for a 357 Short Rifle from Taylor's  ;D  I think that we both came out even and satisfied with the deal.  I know that a lot say to SS the rifle, but for the time being I am going to shoot it almost as-is.  Part of that is that my '87 also has a long stroke to lever and I need to buy bullets more than rifle modifications  ::)  I will be putting new sights on it and a lever wrap.
Modoc

"He Who Laughs Last, Thinks Fastest"
SUDDS, SCORRS, Retired Warthog, Sometime Gunfighter, and Soot Deliante

Fairshake

Just remember Cody when you get ready to do some work. His wife work's at Taylor's.
Deadwood Marshal  Border Vigilante SASS 81802                                                                         WARTHOG                                                                   NRA                                                                            BOLD So that His place shall never be with those cold and Timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat

WaddWatsonEllis

I have always had this thing about tools and guns ... buy something good, buy it once, and move on.

Every time I have brokend this rule, I have lived to regret it ... Not to say that used guns are problematic ... some of my favorite ones I own are a brace of Navy Arms/Uberti Schofields that I bought used from a Territorial Governor (and he had already gone through them and they are like buttah...).

But back to the subject at hand ... when I looked to replace my finicky late Model '94, I  bought a Cody Conagher slicked up
(Uberti) Model .  I can't be happier with the Model '73; it also fires .45 Schofield with apolomb, so now I can throuw away those .45 LC slides and just carry one type of ammo ....
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

WaddWatsonEllis

BTW, Cody Conagher starts with a Taylors Uberti Model 73 ...

Here is his website if you wish to check on the prices for parts and such ...

http://www.codyscowboyshop.com/
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com