Main Street in Deadwood

Started by Shotgun Steve, April 06, 2010, 03:02:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shotgun Steve

THE OLD WEST: Main Street in Deadwood as it was in 1876. (Courtesy of Adams Museum, Deadwood, South Dakota.)

I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same of them."

Home of the Plainsmen
http://lastoftheplainsmen.freeforums.org/index.php

NCOWS# 2910
STORM#  233
GAF# 693
U.S. Army
U.S. Marine Corp
Michigan Army National Guard

Stillwater

I've seen many pictures of Deadwood. It never fails to amaze me how cluttered up with debris, the streets were.

Another great picturre Steve.

Bill

Delmonico

Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Stillwater

In most of the mining communities of eastern Washington State, western Montana, northern Idaho, northern Wyoming, eastern Oregon and northern California, had either, or both, a Chinese laundry  and a Chinese restaurant.

Some of the ghost towns in eastern Washington State, these business' signs can still be seen.. Faded, but seen.

A friend of mine married one of the most beautiful chinese women I have ever seen, her family owned both a restaurant, and a laundry, in Caldwell, Idaho. I've ate at the restaurant, and it was really good food too...!

Bill

Delmonico

Quote from: Stillwater on April 06, 2010, 09:23:28 PM
In most of the mining communities of eastern Washington State, western Montana, northern Idaho, northern Wyoming, eastern Oregon and northern California, had either, or both, a Chinese laundry  and a Chinese restaurant.

Some of the ghost towns in eastern Washington State, these business' signs can still be seen.. Faded, but seen.

A friend of mine married one of the most beautiful chinese women I have ever seen, her family owned both a restaurant, and a laundry, in Caldwell, Idaho. I've ate at the restaurant, and it was really good food too...!

Bill

Chinese in the west has been well documented, I asked the question to see if anyone had looked the picture over well to see what they could pick out interesting. ;)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Texas Lawdog

Tin Shop Sign, OysterBay Restaurant Banner.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

kflach

Something that I don't see is a hitching post. Could it be that all those movies are inaccurate in their western town sets?

Delmonico

Quote from: kflach on April 08, 2010, 01:48:17 PM
Something that I don't see is a hitching post. Could it be that all those movies are inaccurate in their western town sets?

Well for the most part, yeah sometimes at least, how ever that must be a no parking zone:

Can come up with a lot more pictures of them for a reasonable fee. ;)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Texas Lawdog

How about an extra large cast Iron Skillet and a couple of extra large Dutch ovens?
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Delmonico

Quote from: Texas Lawdog on April 08, 2010, 05:03:49 PM
How about an extra large cast Iron Skillet and a couple of extra large Dutch ovens?

Would be willing to make such a trade. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

kflach

Delmonico,

You *do* understand that my statement about the movie sets being inaccurate was spoken 'tongue-in-cheek," right?

<grin>

Delmonico

OK, wasn't sure, but my offer is still valid. ;)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Texas Lawdog

Del has access to a lot of old photos that he document them by the dates of the photos.

Steel Horse Bailey

THAT PICTURE CAPTION IS MISTAKEN!

That photo was taken only 13 years ago of downtown Indianapolis!   At least, MOST of America seems to think we're that backwards!!

Just kidding, friends!  Sorry Steve, and thanks for posting yet another interesting view of Olde West life.
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

River City John

Quote from: Steel Horse Bailey on April 10, 2010, 06:50:01 PM
THAT PICTURE CAPTION IS MISTAKEN!

That photo was taken only 13 years ago of downtown Indianapolis!   At least, MOST of America seems to think we're that backwards!!

Just kidding, friends!  Sorry Steve, and thanks for posting yet another interesting view of Olde West life.

Steel Horse still goes downtown early to elbow his way to the front of the line and get his seat at the bar for Oyster Day each year!
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Texas Lawdog

I'm up for a couple dozen raw Oysters and a couple dozen of the fried "Mountain Oysters" with some cream gravy.

Stillwater

Quote from: Texas Lawdog on April 10, 2010, 11:46:22 PM
I'm up for a couple dozen raw Oysters and a couple dozen of the fried "Mountain Oysters" with some cream gravy.

Have you ever eaten "Mountain Oysters?"

Bill

Delmonico

Quote from: Stillwater on April 11, 2010, 04:28:33 PM
Have you ever eaten "Mountain Oysters?"

Bill

No I eat and cook prairie oysters, like moutian oysters but their ain't a Starbucks near-by. ::)

You really think Tex and I ain't had them? ::)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Stillwater

Quote from: Delmonico on April 11, 2010, 04:31:23 PM
No I eat and cook prairie oysters, like moutian oysters but their ain't a Starbucks near-by. ::)

You really think Tex and I ain't had them? ::)

Eat them if you want to... When I was still living in Montana, I became acquainted with an easterner who moved to the state. The first things he did, was to start dressing like a refugee from a 1950's Arizona dude ranch.

It was a running joke between him and I, that he would never become a westerner until he ate mountain oysters. He finally decided to eat the oysters. After he got done eating, and with a slightly green look on his face, he ask me how I liked eating them.

With a wide grin on my face, I said, "I'm not a pervert," "why would I want to eat them?" He knew, he'd been had, then...

Bill

River City John

Which only goes to prove, ya don't eat 'em for sustenance, ya eat 'em for style points.
Also, seems to be a particular devilment to get yore sweetheart ta eat 'em. ;D

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com