Burgess CARBINE, 44-40

Started by jplower, April 06, 2010, 09:41:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jplower

Shot the Burgess carbine yesterday in 44-40.  It really likes Winchester jacketed factory, hated Remington jacketed factory, worked will with Winchester Cowboy but accuracy was hard to judge due to a stiff 25 MPH head wind.  At fifty feet, the Cowboy loads printed into 4 inches and six left of center.  Einchester jacketed factory went into 2 inches. Had one jam in 50 rounds where the round came up and hit the top of the chamber and had to be removed manually.  The loading gate sticks open sometimes and prevents the first round from chambering.  Edges of the rear sight were so sharp that they cut my hand, so a little filing there will help.  I've sent these concerns to Taylors with the hope they will relay it to the manufacture.  The wood was beautiful with a nice Winchester red color.  Stock fit was near perfect but the forearm had too much overhang at the frame.  Action was smooth and functioned great during rapid fire.  I think the one jam may have been caused by an improperly crimped or dented cowboy round.  Will try some black powder loads next and see how they do.  Anyone know how I can post photos here, the icon above only gives me a funny character in the text box.

JP

Blackpowder Burn

JPLower,

Click on the link that says "Additional Options" just below the reply box.  Then choose attach file.

Can't wait to see the photos.
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

minerotago

Pardon my ignorance but is this a reproduction Burgess? If so then that is great as they were a tremendous rifle - I have an early  Burgess PA shotgun which I use with old roll top cartridges many of which I still have plus a Whitney Kennedy in .44-40 which I also use form time to time. The Whitney Kennedy also being a Burgess design. They are by far superior to the WInchester 73 rifle.

Blackpowder Burn

Yes, they are new reproductions made by our friends in Italy.  Taylors and Co. has them.
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Captain Rob Page

I was glad to see the report on the Burgess 44-40. I think I need one so I called Taylor's. They do not have any in stock but said they are expecting some soon. I would like to be able to use one in a shoot this summer. The gun really has a smooth action, at least the one I handled in 45 Colt did. I would bet they are all smooth actions.

pony express

One of the members at our last shoot had a brand new one....it is a beautiful rifle, but the extractor didn't work, had to pick cases out of the chamber with a knife point, nor easy due to the design. But I'm sure that Taylors will take care of the problem.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com