Boots need re-soled

Started by Dayton Dave, April 04, 2010, 08:02:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dayton Dave

I have a pair of Tony Lamas that are wearing out ( or should I say breakin` in ) that need a new sole. Is this very hard to do. I have some 3/16" and 1/4" stuff that i`m hoping will work.  Any tips will be gladly accepted and highly appreciated.  ;D   I was thinking about gluing an oversized piece of leather on in place then stitching. After that I could cut it even with the boot but since i`ve never done it before i`ll wait for the pro`s to chime in.  :D
                       burch

p.s. I`ve finally worked out my profile and have changed my user name to my SASS alias
                                                                        Dayton Dave   ;D
BUZZARDS GOTTA EAT - SAME AS THE WORMS
                                        Josey Wales

DUKE DEADEYE NUKEM

Arizona Cattleman

Dayton, I don't know if there are to many coblers on the site.  I would think sole leather is a special product.  I would be careful using anything less, as leather can be slippery when wet and cause a fall.  You might try leatherworkers.net for information.

AC
SASS Member #86387
NRA Member
USCCA Member

Dayton Dave

Josey Wales

Ned Buckshot

If they arn't to badly gone you could use "Sole Saver" a product made by Cat's Paw.

It's thin made 1/16" but wears like iron. I use Barge Cement to attatch it and it doesn't come loose.

Just might be worth a try, at the very least you will be right back where you started for not much.

I have a bunch of it, I can send you some for the price of shiping.

Let me know

Ned
Ned Buckshot

SASS# 2901   nedbuckshot@gmail.com

SEE MY ADS IN CAS CITY CLASSIFIEDS

Gun Butcher

Dave , leather that is used for soles is a special tan. Regular vegetable tan will work but won't last very long.
To do that you will have to sew thru the welt and sole. It would be pretty tough going.
Also the sole needs to be attached in the shank area of the boot . If it isn't it is going to pull at your stitiches everytime you take a step and will pretty quickly start pulling them loose.
The sole should be attached with nails in that area or wooden pegs are what we use to use. Also, the leather should be skived down to a thin edge starting about 1 1/2 in. from the start of the shank back toward the heel.

That is the readers digest condensed version. It would not be an easy job but it can be done "the old way" ,just very tough for a beginner. The sole saver  that Ned suggested would be the way to go. I've used it many times and it will last real good.
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

Dayton Dave

Josey Wales

Dayton Dave

Quote from: Ned Buckshot on April 04, 2010, 03:56:35 PM
If they arn't to badly gone you could use "Sole Saver" a product made by Cat's Paw.

It's thin made 1/16" but wears like iron. I use Barge Cement to attatch it and it doesn't come loose.

Just might be worth a try, at the very least you will be right back where you started for not much.

I have a bunch of it, I can send you some for the price of shiping.

Let me know

Ned

So do ya just cement this over the existing sole ?  I have a hole in each boot but it`s just threw the outside layer.
                                        Josey Wales

Ned Buckshot

I would try and fill in the hole as closely as possible with available leather, the whole sole will then need to be sanded clean or you can use a very aggresive brush.

One coat of Barge on each side according to directions and stick 'em together! There are obviousley many more fine points that I can give you if you choose this route.

Ned
Ned Buckshot

SASS# 2901   nedbuckshot@gmail.com

SEE MY ADS IN CAS CITY CLASSIFIEDS

Marshal Will Wingam

Welcome, DD. As you've found out, there are some very helpful pards on the forum. Post piics of the resole process when you do it. Looking forward to your posts.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Dayton Dave

Quote from: Ned Buckshot on April 04, 2010, 05:49:01 PM
I would try and fill in the hole as closely as possible with available leather, the whole sole will then need to be sanded clean or you can use a very aggresive brush.

One coat of Barge on each side according to directions and stick 'em together! There are obviousley many more fine points that I can give you if you choose this route.

Ned

I might have found a local cobbler. Since this is no picnic to do i`m going to check out his prices before I try it myself.
                                        Josey Wales

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com