defarbing questions......

Started by TallBaldBellied, April 03, 2010, 04:04:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TallBaldBellied

Is it legal to defarb the most commonly used SASS and NCOWS firearms?  Not rules legal, but gub'mint legal?  I know that it is done with CW and a lot of cap and ball arms, just wondering about cartridge weapons.

Delmonico

As long as the serial # is not removed or modified as far as I know.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Dutch Limbach

Quote from: TallBaldBellied on April 03, 2010, 04:04:00 PM
Is it legal to defarb the most commonly used SASS and NCOWS firearms?  Not rules legal, but gub'mint legal?  I know that it is done with CW and a lot of cap and ball arms, just wondering about cartridge weapons.

It is illegal under Federal Law to remove the serial number or any other identifying marks on cartridge firearms made after December 16, 1968. Firearms made prior to that date and muzzleloading arms are exempt from having serial numbers under Federal Law.

Also, some state and local laws are broader in their definition of what a firearm is, i.e.- New Jersey which does consider muzzleloading arms as firearms.
"Men do not differ much about what they will call evils; they differ enormously about what evils they will call excusable."
-- G. K. Chesterton

"I guess when you turn off the main road, you have to be prepared to see some funny houses."
-- Stephen King

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com