Ben Lilly

Started by Shotgun Steve, April 03, 2010, 10:09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shotgun Steve

Ben Lilly was born in 1856 Alabama to devoutly religious parents. He ran away at a young age, moving to Louisiana to try his hand at blacksmithing. He didn't stick with the career for long, but he did learn how to make his own large game metal traps. While in Louisiana he killed a bear with a knife, (that's right, a knife) and discovered a life long passion for hunting. He became a full time hunter, selling bear meat along with wild honey.

Lilly was not a tall man, he was only 5'8 but he weighed 180 pounds and was known for his incredible strength. He specialized in killing bears and cougars that were notoriously menacing to humans. In 1908 he went into Mexico after a group of bears that had been terrorizing locals. He tracked down four grizzlies with only the help of a few hounds and killed them all singlehandedly. He of course brought their skins back.

He moved back into New Mexico in 1911 and was hired by the government to get rid of troublesome predators. Lilly held the personal belief that he should rid the content of all bears and cougars, which he considered "malefic creatures" and was obsessed with their extermination.

Shotgun Steve quote: wikipedia is a liberal..peta picking site!!!

Here is a wikipedia quote:

He was no doubt, one of the most destructive individuals that contributed to the reduction of North-American apex predators to the brink of extinction, an undeniably condemning act by modern standards of both ethical hunting and wildlife conservation. The numbers of animals killed by Ben Lilly in his exploits is subject to sufficient contradiction but it is estimated that he successfully hunted between 600 and 1000 mountain lions in his lifetime."

Ben Lilly isn't just a folk hero because of how many predators he killed, but for the way he killed them. He was known to engage both bears and cougars in hand to hand combat with nothing more than a custom bowie knife he called "The Lilly Knife."

I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same of them."

Home of the Plainsmen
http://lastoftheplainsmen.freeforums.org/index.php

NCOWS# 2910
STORM#  233
GAF# 693
U.S. Army
U.S. Marine Corp
Michigan Army National Guard

Tjackstephens

Ben Lilly, Quite a hunter by anyone's out look. Was a great dog trainer and always had the best. The young unbroken dogs(untrained) he would tie around his waist with a rope. Making sure that dog did not run unwanted game. He could endure the hunt as well at the dogs. When on the chase, he would only stop when the dogs did and make camp where ever that was. He was tough and lived mainly in the outdoors. Would have liked to have met him. Think he prefered to be by himself though.Tj
Texas Jack Stephens:   NRA, NCOWS #2312,  SASS # 12303, Hiram's Ranger #22,  GAF #641, USFA-CSS # 185, BOSS# 174,  Hartford Lodge 675, Johnson County Rangers,  Green River Gunslingers, Col. Bishop's Renegades, Kentucky Col.

US Scout

Quote from: Shotgun Steve on April 03, 2010, 10:09:12 AM
...He was known to engage both bears and cougars in hand to hand combat with nothing more than a custom bowie knife he called "The Lilly Knife."

Some years ago I met a Marine who was covered in scars.  When asked how he'd come by them, he told us that he hunted deer with a knife.  He'd bulldog them down and occasionally got gored or kicked by the bucks before they went under. 

I can't even imagine deliberately taking on a cougar or bear with a knife...

Tjackstephens

Seen pictures of Ben Lilly with a very good rifle. Don't think he was crazy. I've killed black bear on the ground fighting my dogs. It's just not the time or place to use a knife, unless that's all you have. Most of the time a hunter is better prepared than that. Tj
Texas Jack Stephens:   NRA, NCOWS #2312,  SASS # 12303, Hiram's Ranger #22,  GAF #641, USFA-CSS # 185, BOSS# 174,  Hartford Lodge 675, Johnson County Rangers,  Green River Gunslingers, Col. Bishop's Renegades, Kentucky Col.

Stillwater

Lilly's beard sure fits the definition of scraggly perfectly...

Bill

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

Here's a book;

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/278875.Ben_Lilly_s_Tales_of_Bears_Lions_and_Hounds

I can't find the reference, but didn't Larry McMurtry have Ol' Ben killed off?
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

Tjackstephens

It was Ben's dogs that the man burner killed, not Ben. Ben played by Buck Taylor left to go get him some more dogs. Sad to say but Ben died in an old folks home. Tj

Texas Lawdog

I told Buck that he did a good job on his characterization of Ben Lilly. I'm sorta partial though, I think he always does a good job on his characters.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

litl rooster

Quote from: Sir Charles deMouton-Black on April 03, 2010, 07:37:47 PM
Here's a book;

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/278875.Ben_Lilly_s_Tales_of_Bears_Lions_and_Hounds

I can't find the reference, but didn't Larry McMurtry have Ol' Ben killed off?

The snake that couldn't see killed his dogs

Liberal peta pickin' site!
Mathew 5.9

Rowdy Fulcher

Howdy Pards
Ben was a very interesting individual . He was a hunter out of this world . When he died they shaved off his whiskers and his children had never seen him clean shaven until his death . He never hunted on Sunday , but if he found their track on Monday they were in trouble .

Tjackstephens

My Dad had talked about Ben Lilly and most of all about Ben's dogs. Years later one of the Outdoors Sport magazines did some articles on the most famious Bear Hunters of the USA. A very good article on Ben Lilly. Also Davy Crockett and Teddy Roosevelt. Ben was even a guide for Teddy one time. Don't think they got along though. Tj

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com