Test Carving in Tandy Black Hide

Started by Arizona Cattleman, March 28, 2010, 08:43:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arizona Cattleman

Here is a test carving to see if it showed up and if it will last after it is dry.

AC
SASS Member #86387
NRA Member
USCCA Member

amin ledbetter

Didn't know that could be done on already died hide!!! Keep us posted on how it turns out.

Arizona Cattleman

SASS Member #86387
NRA Member
USCCA Member

JD Alan

AC, when I tunred on the computer this evening, I was going to post a question about stamping and/or carving drum dyed leather, like WC used recently. Thanks for creating this thread, I will really be interested in the results.

What you've done so far looks good!   
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Marshal Will Wingam

It looks to be doing the job. It'll be interesting to see how it works out. At least you don't have to worry about what color to put on it.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

cowboywc

Howdy AC
Nice job.

You have to be careful with some drum dyed leathers as they are not dyed through and through. I did a holster on a brown hide and you could see the flesh color in the cuts. I used a brown oil over it and it blended in pretty good.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

Johnny McCrae

Howdy AC,
That's an interesting concept. I did not know you could do that. Please keep us as to how it turns out.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

JD Alan

WC, did AC just get lucky on that hide from Tandy? Could you have carved or stamped on that piece you used to make that black rig?

Ace Lungger

Howdy Pards,
I have played with some drum dyed leather (I think) the leather I played with would stamp and carve, you had to realy put a deep stamp for it to show good detail, the thing I don't like about is, it seems to be oil tanned and it won't firm up like veg tanned!

Remember this is only my opition, and it doesn't mean much!
Later
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

I had a bad experience with some brown drum dyed leather, it wouldn't hold the impressions worth a hoot, I had to really pound the heck out of the stamps, and the impressions would still rise, I tried too carve on it but like WC explained it showed the natural color if I got too deep, and this is after casing the leather for longer than I would normally, IMO this leather would be best for items that you are not wanting to stamp or carve on, just my feeling on this, maybe there there are better samples of this type leather, but this was a turn off for me. the drum dyed leather was very soft and pliable, which I did like, and would be fine for saddle bags or such. For carving and stamping I'll stay with natural Veg-Tan leather, which is a pleasure to work with, and I'll do my own dyeing.

tEN wOLVES  :D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Arizona Cattleman

Well the results are positive for this black hide.  I still have crisp tooling and carving.  Ken my Tandy manager told me to get it real wet before tooling.  That seemed to work, as I needed no extra stamping force, and the color goes clear through the hide.  It is not a soft hide, feels just like veg tanned leather before and after the leather dried.  I will be using this for a "B Movie" Buscadero Rig with lots of bling.  It is a 8/9 0z hide, going to line the holsters and belt.  Im figuring on about a month to complete if everything goes as planned.

AC
SASS Member #86387
NRA Member
USCCA Member

JD Alan

AC, what are you going to line it with? Are you planning on dyeing the liner? Having drum dyed leather would be a perfect opportunity to have a different color liner without worrying about dyeing the liner when you meant to just dye the outside leather.

I'm looking forward to seeing this rig, with the understanding that it's going to take a while. Good job my friend.

Arizona Cattleman

JD I am going to line it with 2/3 oz veg tan finished with EVOO and sun treated.  The holsters and belt wil be coated with Saddle LAC to give it gloss.  Of course there will be lots of spots, chrome ones.

AC
SASS Member #86387
NRA Member
USCCA Member

cowboywc

Howdy AC
Here is the holster I did from the brown drum dyed.
WC

cowboywc

Close up
WC

Slowhand Bob

WOW WC, you done much better than I have been able to with the pre dyed leathers.  I used the stuff to make quick low priced belts, accs and holsters and they were left plain with little to no embellishment.  In the $30 to $40 dollar per holster range they were excellent and looked nice but far to hard to upgrade, wouldnt even hold glue for lining.  I think the problem is that these are dipped in a vat that contains dye and sealer, after which it is wet rolled under pretty good pressure to give it a burnished appearance and reduce noticeable skin flaws.

Arizona Cattleman

WC thats is a fantastic lookin holster.  The tooling is top notch as usual.  My hide the rough side is as black as the front.  I see that your brown is not as dark as the front.  I guess each hide is different.  I aspire to your level.......

AC
SASS Member #86387
NRA Member
USCCA Member

Arizona Cattleman

SB, I'll have to test the glue ability.  Thanks for the heads up.  Don't want that to come up when I am half through with the rig.

AC
SASS Member #86387
NRA Member
USCCA Member

JD Alan

This gets more interesting all the time. AC, it sounds like you better take a scrap piece, fold & glue it doesn't it? If you don't mind me asking, what sort of holster pattern are you going to use?

I've thought about making a Buscadero rig for my own use, but I perfer the holsters up closer when I shot, and I like the ability to move them back a little when I'm done. l still go back & forth between two strong sides and a cross draw is the other challenge. I kinds like being able to do both.     

WC, like AC I aspire to your skill level, understanding that there aren't enough days or hours lef in my life for that to happen, but I'm ok with that. The stamping is as usual perfect. Is that a Will G flower stamp?

I'm sending you a PM about some leather.

Ace Lungger

As allways WC, AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME!!!!

Later
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com