Chuck's DVD

Started by Messerist, March 26, 2010, 08:22:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Messerist

I received my copy of Chuck's DVD yesterday!  Great tutorial!  My seven-year old and I watched the whole thing.  I think I hooked another one.  Thanks Chuck.  Now it's off to Tandy!

Gun Butcher

You are a lucky man. I don't have chucks DVD but I have spent alot of time on his website studying his stuff.
I posted a pic of that knife on the other thread for you.
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

JD Alan

I'll say it again: Best money I've spent on leatherworking is Chuck's DVD.
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Boothill Bob

Dang, I have to bye it when my ekonomi and my wife allows it :-X
Shoot fast and aim straight

SASS#83079 SWS#1246

amin ledbetter

Quote from: Boothill Bob on March 26, 2010, 12:52:31 PM
Dang, I have to bye it when my ekonomi and my wife allows it :-X

I know what you mean about that Bob. Round my homestead my economy and the wife are pretty much one and the same!  ;D  Yup She is the keeper of green, and she knows it!  :'(

Boothill Bob

We are doomed Amin :'(
Maby I can sell my body, hmmmmm nope..... Some leatherwork maby,
thats easeyer to sell :)

SASS#83079 SWS#1246

Django

Quote from: JD Alan on March 26, 2010, 09:15:16 AM
I'll say it again: Best money I've spent on leatherworking is Chuck's DVD.

Looks like i struck gold with the first tutorial DVD i purchased  ;D!!! Thanks Chuck;
Django
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND STILL HAVE MOST OF IT LEFT
Website http://www.savoirfaire-jazz.co.uk/index.html

Messerist

My CFO(wife)lets me use the money I make from selling my knives to further my addiction to CAS.   :)

Boothill Bob

You are a lucky man Messerist  ;D

SASS#83079 SWS#1246

JD Alan

BhB, I'm the first guy to promote Chuck's DVD set, but honestly, looking at your website and the leather you produce I'm not sure how much you need this DVD. I certainly wouldn't worry about it. I'm sure you would pick up a few tips, but dang it you do some real fine leatherwork right now.

He's not sharing the secrets of how he gets that old time leather look, it's more of a basic how to, and you obviousl;y know how to!

Boothill Bob

Tanx for the kind words JD. I'm sucking up all the tip that I can, it can only get better.

SASS#83079 SWS#1246

Django

I have just purchased this on Ebay UK and i hope it's the right item for adding to spirit dyes!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230443043840&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

In Chucks DVD he says you use it to dilute Fiebings?
Does this make the dye weaker therefore making the colour lighter by going further?
I found that neat  dye applied to cased veg tan was very strong so would this help?
What % would you suggest adding to the neat dye
Thanks.
Django

ChuckBurrows

Django - I use plain old rubbing alcohol for thinning whihc will lighten the color. For instance I buy dark brown only usually and then thin to get the lighter the color (med brown, light brown, etc.) I want. The commercail dyes are intense.
When dying I alos dampen the leather first - I spray it with alcohol or water and then dye, usually dip dye it (i.e. dunk the whole piece in a container of dye.
Best way si to do a test strip using leather from the same hide you are building the project from. Each hide dyes differently and when wet will not be the same as when dry. So for me it's a matter of making sure what the piece will look like to do a test. Once dry be sure and buff well to remove all of the dry powder pigment left on the surface by the dye, then apply your finish of choice.

as for my DVD - THANKS GUY! - being as building custom leather and knives is our only source of income every little bit helps!

PS - Django,
How is the rest of the Hot Club doing these days?  ;)
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

Captain William Call

I just finished watching Chuck's holster making DVD's and all I can say is Wow!
It is so nice to see someone of his caliber sharing his knowledge. Now I have to order some supplies and get to work.

Thank you Chuck

Captain William Call

Django

As for my DVD - THANKS GUY! - being as building custom leather and knives is our only source of income every little bit helps!

PS - Django,
[/quote]

First let me say that in using "Django"as my forum name, i am not comparing myself to the genius of Django Reinhardt!!! i just thought it would be a cool name in the western reenactment world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for asking,the gypsy jazz trio is going well and we are playing regularly in clubs and restaurants .

We have just finished our second CD
have you checked out my website?

Thanks for all the help with the leatherwork.
Django

JD Alan

Is he that brilliant guitarist from aways back? I remember reading about him, though I've never heard any of his music.

ChuckBurrows

Django - No I haven't but I will and will definitely look forward to hearing your music since I love good gypsy and flamenco - both traditionla and nouveau...

JD - Yep - Django Reinhardt on guitar along with Stephane Grappeli are the two mot famous members of the original quintet. Chet Atkins placed Django as number one on his list of most influentail guitarists.
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

DUKE DEADEYE NUKEM

Quote from: ChuckBurrows on March 29, 2010, 11:48:59 PM
Django - I use plain old rubbing alcohol for thinning whihc will lighten the color. For instance I buy dark brown only usually and then thin to get the lighter the color (med brown, light brown, etc.) I want. The commercail dyes are intense.
When dying I alos dampen the leather first - I spray it with alcohol or water and then dye, usually dip dye it (i.e. dunk the whole piece in a container of dye.
Best way si to do a test strip using leather from the same hide you are building the project from. Each hide dyes differently and when wet will not be the same as when dry. So for me it's a matter of making sure what the piece will look like to do a test. Once dry be sure and buff well to remove all of the dry powder pigment left on the surface by the dye, then apply your finish of choice.

as for my DVD - THANKS GUY! - being as building custom leather and knives is our only source of income every little bit helps!

PS - Django,

Guess I'm going to help out too Chuck.  ;) Looks like you have two DVD's.  :o

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com