Powder Horn

Started by KidTerico, March 24, 2010, 06:10:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KidTerico

Heres a powder horn Dave Cole made for me. Its as great a workmenship as his knives. Hes very versital as to what he makes. Thanks Dave , out standing job. KT
Cheer up things could be worse, sure enough I cheered up and they got worse.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Terry you're lucky pard for sure, Dave great job pard, you're a very talented guy, this powder horn is awesome.
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Gun Butcher

Good looking horn Kid. Dave is a great craftsman.
I will have to show you one of mine someday.
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

KidTerico

GB please do. This is the only one I have. KT

GunClick Rick

WOOOO HOOO HOOO,yea baby,I LIKE THAT..Need to get ya a wampum strapKT..Hey Dave do mine do mine please Dave :)

I want tacks on mine :(

Bunch a ole scudders!

Gun Butcher

Here ya go Kid.  
The top one is a map horn showing where my family settled in Kentucky in 1794 and it continues to where I lived in Ouisconsin.
The next one down is a priming horn in progress. The scrimshaw isn't done.
The third one is a French and Indian War style that is ready for the scrimshaw.
And the last one is my everyday using horn.
Rick, I like that wampum belt that would go great with the third horn in the picture ;) ;D
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

GunClick Rick

Hot Dog,some nice horns all around! Did you do the scrimshaw on yours GB?Very nice indeed,i love scrimshaw..
Bunch a ole scudders!

KidTerico

GCR nice horn and GB thanks for showing your nice collection of horns.  You have talent.KT

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

GB, like Terry said you have talent, great looking horns, your care to detail is really something. ::) 8)

GCR, your horn is nice too pard,  :D

Thanks to all of you for sharing your talent with us. ;D

tEN wOLVES  :D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Dave Cole

Wow ,those are some great horns.This one was my first one to try.KT twisted my arm  ;D.Dave

ChuckBurrows

Dave (nicely done sir!) and anyone else interested in making powder horns I recommend

1)  getting Scott Sibley's book on making 18th Century powderhorns - Scott and Cathy (his wife) do some of THE finest work ever seen.
2) checkout the following sites:
http://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/ - look at the past months/years works as well as the current

http://longrifle.ws/ - a sales site frequented by some of the best

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php - go to the Accoutrements section

FWIW - I've made a number of horns over the years but currently carry an original dated 1791 and 1825 -  I did the rawhide repair work to make it usable:

here are the two dates:

and for Dave who likes inlays - this eastern buffalo horn was once owned by William Clark of the L & C Expedition:

aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

Biscuit Joe

Man o'man those are all really nice.  They just look so useful and just plain cool.
But me, being a dumb bunny when it comes to powder horns, will someone tell me how they work and are used?

Dalton Masterson

Nice horns all of you! I havent had a horn since college when I left it accidentally at the range....
I have intentions of making one, so I really appreciate the links you gave Chuck.

I have about 2 dozen horns out in the attic waiting on me I bought at a garage sale.......

That Wlm. Clark horn is very neat. What is the white inlay made of? Bone? Ivory?
DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

JD Alan

Biscuit Joe, I'm with you. I don't know a darn thing about powder horns except the obvious; they hold powder, but I'm curious about them.
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

ChuckBurrows

Quote from: Biscuit Joe on March 24, 2010, 11:29:29 PM
being a dumb bunny when it comes to powder horns, will someone tell me how they work and are used?
Howdy Joe - the horns are used to store/carry black powder for muzzleloading firearms as well as the later percussion revolvers.
Generally one pours powder from the horn into a separate measure, which is then poured into the barrel or cylinder. Dependent on the type of firearm the projectile along with wadding, patch, etc is then pushed down on top of the powder. The gun is then primed - how depends on whether it be flintlock or percussion, and then fired.
Here's a link to a youtube video showing the basics of loading a rifle http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CEbBv4U71M&feature=fvw
there are variations in technique.

Dalton - IIRc the inlays are bone.........
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

Gun Butcher

Dave , I really like your horn. Your stuff always has a very finely finished look to it.
You gotta watch that Kid like a hawk, he is a talker ;) ;D

Biscuit Joe

MR. ChuckBurrows
Thank you very much!!! ;D  You have set my day in motion.
I have never seen that done in all my 60 + years.
I love it and maybe have found a new intrest thanks to you.
I love this forum and the you tube videos you fine folks link to!
Thank you one and all.
Biscuit Joe  ;D

GunClick Rick

On the horn i showed(and did not make) it is actually two horns.The smooth horn and the the rings are cut from a seperate horm to size and tacked on with really tiny tacks.My mountain man friend here told me he actually shaved one down so much you could see the powder inside of it.He does his own beadwork and makes his own clothes.He also told me he was surrounded by indians once and they shot him full of arrows,i asked what happened and he said,Well i died whatta ya spose?? ;D
Bunch a ole scudders!

Doc Neeley

Here's some horns I made several years ago. Need to get back and make a couple for ME!  ::)

All America lies at the end of the wilderness road, and our past is not a dead past, but still lives in us. Our forefathers had civilization inside themselves, the wild outside. We live in the civilization they created, but within us the wilderness still lingers. What they dreamed, we live, and what they lived, we dream. -- T.K. Whipple

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Dave

Will if twisting your arm is what it took to get you to make this horn, then KT did the right thing, it's an awesome horn, and for it being your first, you would never know it, it's beautiful, and I really like the color, it contrast well with the brass spots.

Kid Terico you are one luck pard

tEN wOLVES  :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com