Sometimes a person should just quit instead of pushing to finish

Started by Ace Lungger, March 23, 2010, 12:26:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

santee

Yeah, that looks great, Ace. I like the flower stamp you used, too. Color came out real nice!
Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

Johnny McCrae

Howdy Ace,

I gotta tell you. That is a fine looking Holster. Please don't give up on making Mexican Loop Holsters.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Canelo Kid

It looks fine Ace! Don't sell yourself so short. I agree with the others that we are all too hard on ourselves over mistakes. We all make 'em, don't know of an artist that doesn't.

I have a box full of stuff that Canelo Kate will rummage through and ask "Why aren't you selling this?" or "Why is this priced so low?". I then point out to her what I think are obvious and glaring flaws. She'll usually say that she would have never noticed it.

Got to love her!  :-* But I still know what's wrong with it.  :-[ Keep at it and don't give up.

Safe trails,
CKid

BWSS  USA #04
BCSS #40

Marshal Will Wingam

That holster is really good, Ace. The color and design work nicely. It's a cool piece.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

ChuckBurrows

QuoteI just hate making mistakes when I know better, and then having to figure a way of fixing them!

We all make them Ace and sometimes fix-its can actually make the piece into something special - a knife maker friend says if you can't fix it feature it - and I have!  ;D I'm also a believer in the philosophy of my neighbors the Navajo - no human is perfect - only the Great Spirit is.
FWIW - about 8-9 years ago I came REAL close to quitting altogether. I had become so fixated on doing things "right" that I couldn't see the forest for the trees so to speak and was not enjoying myself at all - it had become worse than working ro the "man". A couple of things happened though to change my feelings and after that epiphany my work actually became better and a lot more enjoyable. Sure there's days I cuss a blue streak when too many things go wrong, especially when I hurt real bad, but that's what the garbage bin is for  ;). Overall though I've re-found the joy in my work I had lost and that attitude IMO is now reflected in what I make and I don't sweat the samll stuff

As other have noted it's a good piece.......booboos and all! ;)  ;D  ;)
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

santee

Words of wisdom!
Ace, I've been trying to re-make a holster I built over a year ago. Something wasn't right about the look, but at the time it was good enough. Since then I've gotten better tools and more experience. Of course, I made a mistake, as I always do. A little "ouch" here or there, just when you think it's going so well.
However, instead of scrapping the whole thing, I put the two side-by-side and studied the things that have improved, i.e. sewing, edge finishing, use of the swivel knife (you get the idea).
Sure makes a bloke feel good to know he's getting better. You're making leaps and bounds brother. Keep it up. 8)
Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

Ace Lungger

Howdy Pards,  :)
I do apprecaite all the kind words! I know most everyone makes mistakes, what realy gets to me, is when you try so hard and nothing seems to go right!! I also think since I don't feel good, that mistakes just makes me feel worst. Warmer weather has to get here some day!
Thanks again my friends!
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Boothill Bob

This is whwt happens when i´m not satisfied with my work :(
Shoot fast and aim straight

SASS#83079 SWS#1246

amin ledbetter

What was that going to be Bob?

I made a big mistake last night, but rectified it. I was making a money belt which I planned on lacing around the top and ends to match my holsters. Don't ask how I did it but, somehow I punched 129 holes on the front side of the belt, and 134 on the back. I was bummed!  I wound up splitting the belt and making the two halves into gun belts for kids. I was glad I didn't have to waist the leather. So so far so good on the belts for the kids. See Ace, you ain't the only one pard! You just make the best of it.

Boothill Bob

Shoot fast and aim straight

SASS#83079 SWS#1246

amin ledbetter

That's what I thought it looked like Bob. I wanted to make sure before makin a fool of myself. I like the shape a lot. Are the holes in sets of four for lacing in an x pattern? Or for something else?

Dalton Masterson

I made my first money belt, out of buffalo. I hand stitched every loop, used walnut dye, the works. Then, when it was all done, I realized I had put the billet/chape on the wrong ends with the belt stitches at the bottom. Now the gold dust is gonna settle out and reseed itself. And my maker mark is upside down as well........
But, it feels real nice when I wear it. But it dont leave the house...... :-[
DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Ace Lungger

Dalton, you need to keep a eye on that Gold Dust! ;D  While laying in bed this winter, I have thought about making a money belt, but I realy want to make a fully carved rig, I just cant make up my mind on what style I want to do?? ??? ??? I love those slim jims that you just posted but also like the rig Curley Cole posted??????

Later
ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Charlie Bowdre

"I'm too old to go soldiering any more , too stiff in the joints to ride point and too dam fat to wrestle drunks Any day they don't pat you on the face with a shovel is a good one"

BOLD 887 
Bvt.Major  Chaplain  GAF  502 
STORM 271 
SASS 87747
CHINOOK COUNTRY

Ace Lungger

Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com