Sometimes a person should just quit instead of pushing to finish

Started by Ace Lungger, March 23, 2010, 12:26:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ace Lungger

Howdy Pards,
I started a holster in late Nov. and worked on it a little off and on when my back would let me. I made a lot of mistakes and shouild of stopped when I made the first one!! ::) I was trying to make my First Mexican loop holster, I laid it out and cut, the I laid out what I wanted it to look like, On the inside of the border stamping I wanted a 1/4" bead, as normal I was not paying any atention to what I was doing and mess up the bead, so the next time I wouked on it, I tried to cover up my mistake. In a half a$$ way I hide my bobo! After a month or so I got to work on it a littlle and I got it sewn, then the next time I cut out the loops, I should of stayed in bed that day ??? ??? ??? ??? I got the straps cut and used a hole punch on each end cut, I think you all know where my head was!!!!!!!!!! I used a punch about 4 times to big.
So the moral of this story is, if you can't sit down and focus on a project there isn't any reason to start one!!

Here is my First Mexican loop Holster.
Later
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

amin ledbetter

Ace, Pard, from the pic you posted it don't look bad! In fact it's really nice! Where is the problem area at you were talkin about? I can't see it if there! Looks like a fine job to me!

GunClick Rick

Hey there's my spurs!! ;D beats anything i ever done Ace,looks fine to me... :)
Bunch a ole scudders!

northwestgrizzly

Still a learning experience though, right. I'm on my phone so I can't view your work but even mistakes have a good side to them...:-)
"We have enough youth, how about a fountain of smart?"

GunClick Rick

Yea just ask me mudda~~

Just keep makin leather Ace...You got more patients than i do..
Bunch a ole scudders!

Dalton Masterson

Looks fine to me Ace.
Great first Mex. loop!
Its much better than my first looped holster...
DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

cowboywc

Hold your head up Son.
There aint nothing wrong with that.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

DUKE DEADEYE NUKEM

Looks fine to me. That's no watch your building. The next one you make is always better than the last.  ;)

Ace Lungger

Thanks Pards,
I just hate making mistakes when I know better, and then having to figure a way of fixing them!
You guys are just to kind!!!!!!!! But it is nice to have friends like you all!
Later
ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

KidTerico

Ace old buddy . I have made a lot worse looking rig than that. Looks good to me. Thanks for showing. KT
Cheer up things could be worse, sure enough I cheered up and they got worse.

Gun Butcher

Ace, we ain't being kind just honest. It don't look bad at all and I really like the color.
You are just being to hard on yourself like the rest of us.
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Ace

You need to quit kicking yourself all over the place Pal, this holster looks fine, in fact it looks very good, I see you even did a buck stitch, nice touch, and the color looks great also, are you going to make a belt to go with it? we'll look forward to seeing what you come up with.

It's good to have you back with us Ace, we missed you pard

tEN wOLVES  :D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Arizona Cattleman

:D Ace, glad to have you back.  The holster is a great job.  Be proud, you didn't give up, worked around your mistakes, and came up with a great lookin holster.  I know how hard it is to be motivated when your in pain.  Pard if you need anything, just ask.

AC
SASS Member #86387
NRA Member
USCCA Member

Devil Anse Hatfield

As artists are the worst on picking apart their own work. I have worked in alot of diff mediums started in leather and moved around and finnaly settled in wood. Now working leather again just for me .
I often will pick something apart so much that I end up selling it at such a discounted price that its stupid. But in the same breath its hand made and its going to have flaws. I have made lots that Im very happy with and others I make to fill orders that are mindless works that pay the bills.
Remember that we are playing in a time when things were no were near Tooled or finished as near perfect as the masters of todays modern tools .
I have learned that .... at the end of the day when I think I can hurry something along that is when i find that I do most of my counter productive work. So quiting when you are ahead in my mind is good juju.

Your level of skill depends on how well you can recover from a screw up. Anybody can screw up and can the project it takes a craftsman to recover, hide it /blend it in and move on as most will never see it.

KidTerico

Ace do what I do when I have a screw up, I screw up the whole holster and every one thinks its supposed to  look like hat. ;D ;D ;D  KT
Cheer up things could be worse, sure enough I cheered up and they got worse.

Dr. Bob

Ace, lighten up on yourself!  It is a fine looking holster for your first Mexican Loop!  I would be proud to wear and use it!!  ;D  Keep em coming pard!! ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Ace Lungger

I am very great full for all the kind words! You all are the BEST!!! TW, I don't have any plans on making a belt, I was just messing around when i made that holster, I beat and twisted and floded it trying to get a weathered look! Most likely it will go on ebay. I plan on doing some more leather if I can ever get feeling better.
Thanks to all!!
ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

goodtime annie

Ace it looked mighty fine to me. Remember some time we are our own worst critic! I know I am! When I look at some one else things I look at what they did well, and when it is mine EVERYTHING I did wrong is all I see. Look at the positive things! Even if you don't think there is (which there is plenty of positive things in that Holster), you learned something and that is Positive!
Goodtime Annie

Take pride in how far you have come and have faith in how far you can go!

http://www.facebook.com/AnnNewkold.LeatherEmporium

JD Alan

ACE, I know just how you feel, and everyone jumps on me for being too critical of my work as well. I recently made my first Mexican loop and wasn't happy with it at all. I've since made two more, and will post a picture of them shortly. Frankly I'm not any happier with the next two than the first one! Picky picky picky ::)

I think yours looks just fine by the way!

JD
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Biscuit Joe

I love the color, and the rest looks just fine to me.
I also would copy this fine persons words. Heck it sounds just like my wife talking to me.
QuoteDevil Anse Hatfield
As artists are the worst on picking apart their own work. I have worked in alot of diff mediums started in leather and moved around and finnaly settled in wood. Now working leather again just for me .
I often will pick something apart so much that I end up selling it at such a discounted price that its stupid. But in the same breath its hand made and its going to have flaws. I have made lots that Im very happy with and others I make to fill orders that are mindless works that pay the bills.
Remember that we are playing in a time when things were no were near Tooled or finished as near perfect as the masters of todays modern tools .
I have learned that .... at the end of the day when I think I can hurry something along that is when i find that I do most of my counter productive work. So quiting when you are ahead in my mind is good juju.

Your level of skill depends on how well you can recover from a screw up. Anybody can screw up and can the project. It takes a craftsman to recover, hide it /blend it in, and move on as most (people) will never see it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com