Fuzzy wuzzies

Started by Skeeter Lewis, March 22, 2010, 02:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skeeter Lewis

If you've got a hide with the above, is there a way of smoothing it down, other than water, gum tragacanth etc? I mean perhaps very fine sandpapers or the like? Any thoughts, pards?

cowboywc

Howdy Pal
I have taken a sanding block and worked down some rangey flesh spots.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

TN Mongo

+1 for what WC said.  Sometimes after sanding, I dampen it and then use a scrap of canvas to kind of burnish it.  Normally, I avoid leather that is too fuzzy on the back side.

amin ledbetter

Quote from: cowboywc on March 22, 2010, 02:11:51 PM
Howdy Pal
I have taken a sanding block and worked down some rangey flesh spots.
WC

That works!?? Interesting! Does it take a coarse grit paper on the block WC?  80 grit?  Or finer? I have a piece that could use this treatment!

Quote from: TN Mongo on March 22, 2010, 05:40:16 PM
+1 for what WC said.  Sometimes after sanding, I dampen it and then use a scrap of canvas to kind of burnish it.  Normally, I avoid leather that is too fuzzy on the back side.

Does that pretty well fix the issue then Mongo? Is there any issues with applying dyes on the area once that has been done? ( will the spot lift again? )

cowboywc

Howdy
I use a fine grit. Sometimes afterward I will slick with my glass slicker and Leather balm. Most of the time I don't dye the flesh side of leather.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

TN Mongo

+1 for WC's comment on fine grit.  80 grit will make more fuzzies.  I have had no problem with dye after sanding and light burnishing.  As always, I would try it on a scrap to make sure. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com