Quality Bag Punch

Started by JD Alan, March 22, 2010, 10:13:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cowboywc

Quote from: JD Alan on March 22, 2010, 08:24:52 PM
Well Shoot WC, I wasn't fishin for free stuff! In any even that's mighty kind of you. I had Oregon Leather (Not Tandy) order a weaver Master tool bag punch today. I trust Outrider; if he says they are worth it then they are worth it, period!. Until then I will polish my Tandy model, dampen the leather and see how it goes.

Once again Thanks WC, JD

Howdy JD
Aint no big deal, just something extra I had laying around the shop for a few years.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

JD Alan

Well maybe, but it came from WC's shop!  ::)
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Steel Talon

FWIW..

For polishing.  Try using varying grades of wet/dry sand paper by hand. If you can chuck your punch's into a drill polishing occurs quickly. This is what I use for polishing all of my punch's and chisel's , for sharpening my blades I use the cardboard wheels on a BUFFER

All The Best
TAL~

outrider

JD...thanks for the compliment...I use them because they are good

Looks like Kid and I are on the same page here.....
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

JD Alan

Thanks for the suggestions Tal. I don't have a drill big enough to get this bag punch in, and being oblong I think it would be a challenge to buff it while it was spinning in a drill, but I suppose it's possible

If you or WC says something then I'm taking it to the bank. I ordered the Weaver Master round knife based on WC's recommendation without any reservation. There's a story in the bible about a Roman Centurion trusting Jesus because he understood authority. Well, I understand the authority both of you speak with, from years of experience. All you have to do it talk to either one of you or look at our work. A guy would be a fool not to listen when one of you, or a few others on this forum spoke.

Regarding Kid Terico, he definitely knows his tools, and he's blessed, through hard work to be able to buy the tools he wants. He's been a wealth of information and inspiration to me. I've been real concerned about his health, but he's proving to be a tough old bird. If he reads this he will gig me for calling him old!

Ned Buckshot

Oh well JD, heck he's only a little older than I am and I'm still just a kid! ::)

Ned
Ned Buckshot

SASS# 2901   nedbuckshot@gmail.com

SEE MY ADS IN CAS CITY CLASSIFIEDS

JD Alan

We have a "Senior's Group" in our church, and it's always one year older than I am. When I hit 60 last year I had them move the age up to 61, and now they have to move it to 62. I'll be a son of a gun I've I'm going to be in any seniors group!

outrider

JD

Face up to it.....me.....I am eagerly awaiting the day when I can go to the monthly shoot and say move over boys you have another Elder Statesman going to blow your doors off  ::) :D :D ;D  two years to go
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Steel Talon

JD,

No, oblongs wont work in a drill press for polishing :)  Howevr they will polish up real nice with the W/D sand paper.

Get a flat piece of glass and some spray adhesive. Glue down the sandpaper onto the glass and stroke the flat sides of the oblong punch. Then polish the oblongs radius on sandpaper glued down onto a mouse pad. Or radiue free hand.  When you finish the sand paper rgwn apply some flitz or Mothers to the polish surface and buff a bit.
Tal~

JD Alan

Tal, I appreciate that advice. Sharpening is not something I am very familiar with, so I appreciate all the help I can get!

Outrider, I'm waiting for a couple of fellas to get out of Seniors and into Super Seniors or Elder Statesman, because they are kickin my butt in the Seniors class!

The guy who usually places somewhere in the first 3 or 4 spots overall is 68, and going strong.   

KidTerico

JD I know u call them like u see them so  old is right for me. Good friends can say that so keep em comming  ;D ;D and Ned when your 67 you wont talk the same way . As Gabby Hayes would say you young wippersnapper. ;D ;D KT
Cheer up things could be worse, sure enough I cheered up and they got worse.

GunClick Rick

I'm glad i get to call KT a buddy,i sure would hate to get on his bad side,after what he has gone through and still is i'd be a ravin lunetic..

I know KT i wouldn't have far to go~~He he beat ya to it..
Bunch a ole scudders!

KidTerico

Rick u gun of a son, your one up on me. ;D ;D KT
Cheer up things could be worse, sure enough I cheered up and they got worse.

outrider

KT,

I'm 67...what month were you born?  Let's see who is older ::) ;D
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

JD Alan

You BOTH seem pretty darn young to me!

On the polishing end of things, as I was driving past a garage sale yesterday I saw a grinder on a stand for sale, so I stopped and bought it. It's an 8 inch, and the stand is rock solid. I didn't have any more bench room, so it's going to work out great I believe.

I know the guy who owned it 'cause he lives just down the street from our church. He bought it to buff out one set of valve covers and never used it again. It's got the guard off one side with a big buffing wheel on it, though it might not be the optimum one for what I need.

Now to get a paper wheel system!

cowboywc

Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

JD Alan

Well shoot WC, that's just flat too much. I really don't know what else to say. You are a very generous guy, and I really appreciate your gift.

DUKE DEADEYE NUKEM

Quote from: JD Alan on March 22, 2010, 10:13:02 AM
Howdy Gentlemen, I've got a question.

Does anyone have any experience comparing Tandy's heavy duty bag punches with Osborne or any other brand?

I know generally speaking Osborne is going to produce a higher quality tool, but I'm wondering about this specific tool. I bought a 3/4 in punch from Tandy to use for weaving cartridge loops, and It doesn't punch all that well as far as I'm concerned. I am using a very solid surface so I don't think bounce is an issue.

I'm trying to punch through 8-9 oz leather, adding loops to badge holders. Any suggestions would be most appreciated. 

i went with Osborne.....................Again. lol

JD Alan

Duke there isn't a thing wrong with Osborne tools. I wish I had a passel more! I plan to use this particular size a lot, and I'm lousy at sharpening things, so I thought it would be a good investment to buy the best bag punch I could find. I will make the money back.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com