Have I been misinformed?

Started by amin ledbetter, March 18, 2010, 04:10:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amin ledbetter

I stopped at a local leather shop yesterday, and bought a few items I needed, and got to talking to the owner of the place concerning leather finishes. I wanted to buy a wax based leather top coat, and she asked me what finish I used on the leather I was trying going to top coat. I told here I used EVOO, and she said I should never use any vegetable based oil finish on leather. She said it would rot the leather from the inside out. Have I been misinformed? Or is there a possibility EVOO will do this to leather?

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

amin, she doesn't know what she's talking about, all Tandy store employees are told to say this, they don't sell EVOO, we use EVOO, not just reg. olive oil, EVOO, is EXTRA VIRGIN, olive oil, it is pure, and will not rote your leather and it won't go rancid, Chuck Burrows and Will Ghromely use EVOO, and I think they have more knowledge and know how than a store clerk, the few times I've dealt with Tandy and asked questions, on several different occasions I got the wrong answers to my questions, it might be different in different locations, I'm sure Tandy must have some very competent people working in some of there stores, but around here the knowledge base is out the window when it comes to know how.

Regards

tEN wOLVES    
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

santee

WOW!! I was just told the same thing by a Tandy employee this morning. He said the "rot" applies to coffee and walnut dyes, too.
I was going to post the same question here, because it didn't seem like the right info.
wierd..
Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

amin ledbetter

Quote from: Ten Wolves Fiveshooter on March 18, 2010, 04:44:32 PM

amin, she doesn't know what she's talking about, all Tandy store employees are told to say this, they don't sell EVOO, we use EVOO, not just reg. olive oil, EVOO, is EXTRA VIRGIN, olive oil, it is pure, and will not rote your leather and it won't go rancid, Chuck Burrows and Will Ghromely use EVOO, and I think they have more knowledge and know how than a store clerk, the few times I've dealt with Tandy and asked questions, on several different occasions I got the wrong answers to my questions, it might be different in different locations, I'm sure Tandy must have some very competent people working in some of there stores, but around here the knowledge base is out the window when it come to know how.

Regards

tEN wOLVES   

I thought so TW! I couldn't figure pros like Chuck and Will using it on almost all there stuff if it would do that! But now to also clear up something here, it wasn't a Tandy employee that told me this. It was a leather store owner.( They are a Tandy dealer ) I will not mention the name, as it is really irrelevant. I thought it strange when I heard it though. When she asked me what I used to dye the leather, I told her I used Extra Virgin Olive Oil, like all the saddle makers use. She said Saddle makers don't use any vegetable based oil finish cause it rots the leather from the inside out. At that point I was taking everything with a grain of salt. I picked up two of Will's, Old West Collections patterns at that store last week, and they even say in the material list on the back side of the envelope " Cover products were finished with extra virgin olive oil. "  I knew if I asked you all on here I would find out the facts. Thanks Ten Wolves.   

Daniel Nighteyes

Quote from: amin ledbetter on March 18, 2010, 04:10:30 PM
...I told here I used EVOO, and she said I should never use any vegetable based oil finish on leather. She said it would rot the leather from the inside out...

I'm by no means an expert here, but that's what happens when you use a petroleum-based oil on leather. I've seen far too many leather rifle slings and compressed-leather knife handles that were ruined by the application of gun oil.

I do believe she had her wires crossed.

TN Mongo

I have read the same negative thing about EVOO on a different leather maker's forum.  They particularly said to excercise caution when using it in warm damp climates.

I plead ignorance on this topic.  I have not tried it so I have no experience good or bad.  

cowboywc

Howdy All
Let me say this. Ask a 100 leather workers a question and you are going to get 100 different answers. Some people have had problems with a product that others have had great results.
All the info given out on this board or any other is from personal experience. What we have all learned by doing. We hope it works for others.
As I tell my students, I am not the sole authority on leather work. That is why I bring in other Masters to teach classes at my store.
I hope this helps some.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

Daniel Nighteyes

Quote from: TN Mongo on March 18, 2010, 06:57:49 PM
I have read the same negative thing about EVOO on a different leather maker's forum.  They particularly said to excercise caution when using it in warm damp climates.

Actually, that makes sense of a kind.  Think fungus, mold and mildew.  But that wouldn't be limited to EVOO now, would it?

<--- Grew up in a warm, humid climate where EVERYTHING turned green, including ME if I stood still for a while...

amin ledbetter

Quote from: Daniel Nighteyes on March 18, 2010, 07:33:37 PM
Actually, that makes sense of a kind.  Think fungus, mold and mildew.  But that wouldn't be limited to EVOO now, would it?

<--- Grew up in a warm, humid climate where EVERYTHING turned green, including ME if I stood still for a while...

Yes it does seem very possible. It just raises the question even more though that if the product is used so often. and by so many, then why is it used if this is possible? EVOO!! Must be VOO DOO!!  :o ;D

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

I think for those of us that have tried EVOO, like the results, I also have old gun leather that was treated with Neatsfoot oil, that has held up very well too, if it works then it works, I have personally used both with good result, and don't have anything negative thing to say about either, I also use and make my own natural dyes like walnut, coffee, pecan, and vinegaroon for black, I followed Chuck Burrows suggestions on conditioning and oil/ finish, and CowboyWC on Skidmores Leather Cream, I'm grateful for all this information, and plan on using it for most my leather work, BUT, we/you all need to try these methods out for yourself, to get an understanding of how they work, and what you need to do to finish the process up for lasting results, and the look you are after, there are so many variables involved, I like my method for what I do, but it did take some time to find, and to learn how to get where I wanted to go. So enjoy the process, and try different things, you will learn a lot, and along the way you will find the finish/look you're looking for , THAT YOU LIKE. that's what counts.

tEN wOLVES  :D 
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

ChuckBurrows

Quote from: cowboywc on March 18, 2010, 07:28:44 PM
Howdy All
Let me say this. Ask a 100 leather workers a question and you are going to get 100 different answers. Some people have had problems with a product that others have had great results.
All the info given out on this board or any other is from personal experience. What we have all learned by doing. We hope it works for others.
As I tell my students, I am not the sole authority on leather work. That is why I bring in other Masters to teach classes at my store.
I hope this helps some.
WC
YEP!  ;D  ;D  ;D

As for EVOO on leather - it's been used on leather since at least the ancient Egyptians based on tests and there are many still surviving pieces from then, Greece, Rome, etc.
Linseed oil is also a plant oil and it is what makes patent leather -  patent leather.........
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Thanks for coming in on this Chuck, it brings more authenticity to the truth of the matter.

tEN wOLVES 

ChuckBurrows

This subject reminds me of.......
QuoteWhen a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong.
Arthur C. Clarke, Clarke's first law
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

amin ledbetter

Well I am not going to be detoured from using EVOO to finish any of my projects. I do know that. Thanks for voicing in on this Chuck. I value the opinions of you and Ten wolves. Thanks a bunch pards.

I was afraid if you guys didn't chime in on this I would have to go to the Mythbuster's website to find my answer!  ;D

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

True or False, we can always use Wisdom to our advantage, we appreciate your Wisdom Chuck, and that's an understatement, the caliber of leather smiths we have on this forum like yourself Will Ghromely Cowboy WC, and many others, has added an abundance of information for all of us to try, and learn, without teachers in any trade the skills will die, that hasn't happened here, and we all continue to learn something new every day. amin, it's wise to be careful who you listen to, just like anything else, there is good information, and there is bad, when in doubt, do your home work, that's always work well for me.

So thanks to all you teachers, we appreciate what you have to say

tEN wOLVES  :D

amin ledbetter

Quote from: Ten Wolves Fiveshooter on March 18, 2010, 10:27:30 PM

True or False, we can always use Wisdom to our advantage, we appreciate your Wisdom Chuck, and that's an understatement, the caliber of leather smiths we have on this forum like yourself Will Ghromely Cowboy WC, and many others, has added an abundance of information for all of us to try, and learn, without teachers in any trade the skills will die, that hasn't happened here, and we all continue to learn something new every day. amin, it's wise to be careful who you listen to, just like anything else, there is good information, and there is bad, when in doubt, do your home work, that's always work well for me.

So thanks to all you teachers, we appreciate what you have to say

tEN wOLVES  :D

I'll second that Ten Wolves. I couldn't have said it better!

JD Alan

I got to add my AMEN to that! JD
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

GunClick Rick

I by GOD second that!!! See my other post. :)
Bunch a ole scudders!

Mogorilla

As a chemist, and actually I was a food chemist working with vegetable and animal oils, all oil will form peroxide, i.e. go rancid, but all oils will also evaporate, which is why we periodically have to treat our leather.   The beauty of Extra Virgin Olive Oil is that it is extracted through a cold press technique.   Oilives from the tree are pressed as is and the oil collected, and what water is there is decanted.   Later to get more from the oilives, they are heated, pressed, oil collected, then they are heated, pressed, etc.  until nothing is left.  The heating of the oilives hastens the peroxide formation.    Chuck is 100% correct, as is Arthur C. Clarke  ;D.    The egyptians were using olive oil for all sorts of things, and i have seen some tooled dog collars and quivers from Egyptian tombs that were very impressive and in pretty good shape. 

JD Alan

I had a Tandy rep say "Huh?" when I mentioned EVOO, and asked what it was. When I told her, she said "I never heard of it", and she's been involved with leather and Tandy for a long time.
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com