What Makes EVOO Work?

Started by amin ledbetter, March 16, 2010, 08:59:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amin ledbetter

Well pards. You all told me to EVOO my holster I made for my 1911, and I did. You also told me to give it some sun. Well Today is the first day the sun has shined here in almost two weeks. So I pulled the holster out of my gun safe, and it had turned a very light tan, almost natural color. I reapplied the EVOO to it and I got it sitting in direct sunlight on the hood of my old Dodge. It is kinda cool out this morning here. Only about 47 degrees out right now. It got me thinkin about a question I should have already asked.

What makes the EVOO work? In other words, is it the sun's heat that causes the EVOO to color the leather in a rich light tanish brown color, or is it just the UV light itself?

If it's the heat, I don't think today's sunlight is is gonna do it. It'll be mid summer before it get's hot enough here in Ohio to cook the EVOO if that is the case.   ;D  Let me know pards, before the frost cycles freeze on my holster fellas. Thanks Pards.  

WaddWatsonEllis

I have to share this laugh on myself ... and maybe there is a newbie who won't have to ask that 'question'

I thought the EVOO you all were talking about was some kinda fancy product one bought from Tandy or some such.

Then during a social chat with a well-known leathermaker he mentioned EVOO. Again I asked what was the best source for the product.

It was then and only then that I learned that EVOO was the first letters of the words Extra Virgen Olive Oil ... LOL. I felt like a real poultroon!

My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

WaddWatsonEllis

I had raised this question before, and never saw a reply for it ...

If one lives in a 'sunlight challenged' area of the world, will the UV rays of a sunlamp have the same effect on leather coated with EVOO?

(Inquiring minds want to know ....)
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

amin ledbetter

Quote from: WaddWatsonEllis on March 16, 2010, 09:40:26 AM
I have to share this laugh on myself ... and maybe there is a newbie who won't have to ask that 'question'

I thought the EVOO you all were talking about was some kinda fancy product one bought from Tandy or some such.

Then during a social chat with a well-known leathermaker he mentioned EVOO. Again I asked what was the best source for the product.

It was then and only then that I learned that EVOO was the first letters of the words Extra Virgen Olive Oil ... LOL. I felt like a real poultroon!

I think every newbie leather worker has this same problem. I wandered myself the first time I seen it mentioned on this forum. I googled it. That's how I found out what it was. I don't think that it's anything to be ashamed about or feel dumb about because you didn't know and had to ask WWE! I bet I ask these pards on this forum a dozen silly questions just like that every other day on here. Fact is I'll never know about nothin if I don't ask Someone.

I just checked on my holster outside. It looks fairly good. It is not turning any lighter than what it was when I put it out there this morning. SO maybe it is the UV light. It is only about 52 degrees right now. Not sure if it will get much warmer than that today. So far the sun seems to be doin somthin to it. Not sure what though!?  ;D

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Pards, living here in Sunny Southern California we really never have a shortage of sun light, but for those that see the sun very little I can't see why a Sun Lamp wouldn't work just fine, as long as you kept an eye on things, using EVOO, will give you a nice amber effect, and it seems to oxidize faster than Neatsfoot oil does, at least that has been my findings, the ambering will continue as time goes by, but if the leather gets dried out and is left in the sun, it will lighten in color, like it's being bleached , but it's just being faded by the sun, which is a good forcaster that you need to condition your leather again, and for that I recommend Skidmores Leather Cream, it will protect your leather and condition the leather at the same time.

Hope this helped

Regards

tEN wOLVES  :D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

amin ledbetter

Info like that is pricless Ten Wolves. How long does it normally take for the sun to get the EVOO workin just right? Or how long should I leave my holster out on the hood of ol Dodge before I am doin more damage than good?  ;D

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

amin, I've usually had good results on a hot sunny day, with leaving my leather in the sun most of the day, with some leather another day or two gives me the color I'm looking for, some leather is also dryer than others, and will take a few more light coats of EVOO, you have to judge this for yourself, after you take it out of the sun, and the oil has had time to absorb into the leather, it will lighten up a bit, and then over time it will amber with age, that's where it really looks pretty, for most leather three light coats of EVOO will give me what I want, but I have gone to five light coats on very dry leather, you need to judge this youself, you don't want to soak the leather with oil, you could do more harm to the leather than you intended.

tEN wOLVES
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

amin ledbetter

Great! Thanks a million for the info Ten Wolves. I definitely don't want to add any more oil to mine then. I have 4 coats on it. Thin ones ( thank God I didn't put in on real heavy! ) and it actually looks a nice caramel color right now. I will let it sun bath for a another hour or two then bring it in for the night and see what happens. You know I just realized, I had better write down how I am doing this, or I will never get the belt and Mag pouches to match. Dang! Wish I would have waited to EVOO the holster now!!!  :-\ Thanks again TW.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Quote from: amin ledbetter on March 16, 2010, 11:52:24 AM
Great! Thanks a million for the info Ten Wolves. I definitely don't want to add any more oil to mine then. I have 4 coats on it. Thin ones ( thank God I didn't put in on real heavy! ) and it actually looks a nice caramel color right now. I will let it sun bath for a another hour or two then bring it in for the night and see what happens. You know I just realized, I had better write down how I am doing this, or I will never get the belt and Mag pouches to match. Dang! Wish I would have waited to EVOO the holster now!!!  :-\ Thanks again TW.

Your welcome pard
   amin, it's always a good idea to keep notes, and if you want the belt to match perfectly try to stay with the same hide if possible. although a little contrast doesn't hurt a bit, if you had to use leather from another hide.

tEN wOLVES

amin ledbetter

Unfortunately I will be making the belt from a different hide. There was not enough left from the one I made this holster from to also make the belt and mag pouches from. I wrote down what I did to color this one. Hope I can get it kinda close. Another lesson learned for sure.  :-\ 

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

amin, like I said earlier, it shouldn't matter much, and you should be able to get it close enough that it won't be noticeable, I had to do this myself and had good results even though the hides were different.

tEN wOLVES 

Arizona Cattleman

Amin, leather will darken without EVOO, but can be streaky or blotchy at first.  In my experience, and that is little, EVOO makes for a more even coloration.  I have items that hardly ever see the sun, and they are still darkening.  Take a test piece with EVOO, set in the sun and partialy cover with a piece of un treated leather, then partialy cover the cover with a piece of leather.  Let sit in the sun for a day, and look at the results.  Should give you some idea of the different levels of darkening and how lon it takes.

AC
SASS Member #86387
NRA Member
USCCA Member

Boothill Bob

Does someone have a pic on a EVOO holster?? Here in Sweden the sun is invisseble this time a year, but soon its spring :)
Shoot fast and aim straight

SASS#83079 SWS#1246

Mogorilla

yes, leather without oil will darken in the sun.  Which is why most hides come rolled with flesh side out, most people don't mind the discolouration there.    I agree with AC, my experience is that the non oiled leather will color unevenly, but i think it is leather dependent.   The oil just keeps the leather supple and prevents the sun from drying it out, at least that is my understanding.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Quote from: Boothill Bob on March 19, 2010, 09:50:43 AM
Does someone have a pic on a EVOO holster?? Here in Sweden the sun is invisseble this time a year, but soon its spring :)

Bob, this is a picture of a Jesse James rig I did, it is finished in EVOO, three coats, and three coats of Skidmores Leather Cream.

Boothill Bob

Thats what I call a rigg TW, verry nice. So u just put EVOO on it and out in the sun for a day?
Shoot fast and aim straight

SASS#83079 SWS#1246

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Bob, if I remember right I did my sunning over a three day period, one coat of EVOO each day, but you could try it for one day and see if that's the look you want, I also used the sun on my Skidmores coatings, about two days on that, I'm out in my shop most the time, so leaving my work in the sun is not a problem, while my leather work is sunning, I'm working on something else, as you can see I'm not in a hurry when it comes to finishing my leather, after all that's where the love comes in. ;D When I use Skidmores Leather Cream,I let it dry and penetrate for a day, and then buff it it up real good, then I'll add another coat  and do the same thing, on most my pieces I do three coats.

tEN wOLVES :D

amin ledbetter

TW, does it work best if you suntan it between coats? I applied four coats on mine before tanning it all. I got to say the sun does work wonders on the leather after applying EVOO.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

amin, I'm a control freak when it comes to my finishes, I don't know if sunning between coats makes any difference, or not, I just like doing it that way so that if I like what I get after two coats I will quit, if not I'll do another coat, or maybe one more after that, this is probably more important if your trying to match another piece of leather, what you did doesn't hurt a thing, so don't be worried, but the next time you might want to get closer to matching a gun belt, then sun tanning between coats makes better since, it's just better control, IMHO. I've found that different hides take oil differently, so you can see where I'm coming from on this.

amin you pose good question pard ;) :D

amin ledbetter

Can't learn if I don't ask TW!  ;D  All seriousness though, I hope  I ain't buggin ya with all the questions. When I get involved in stuff like this, part of the fun for me is the learning process. You are a huge help to new comers on here TW, and a huge help to me. I want you to know that I appreciate all the advice and help you and all the others have given me. I hope to someday return the favor for all you've helped me with pard. Thanks again Ten Wolves. If there is anything I can ever do for you, please let me know.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com