Hand Stitching, venting!

Started by amin ledbetter, March 12, 2010, 06:30:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Quote from: Marshal Will Wingam on March 14, 2010, 08:23:46 PM
I picked up a 2 1/2" rubber ball from the pet store. After cutting a flat on one side, it works great to back up the awl.

Glad you tried that Will, cutting a flat spot also makes it easier to set down, it won't roll away on you and it's just the right size to be comfortable in the hand, I haven't speared my fingers since I started using the half rubber ball, or you can just take a cut off it to create a flat spot on the ball. I also use a piece of old bicycle inter tube, cut about 2 1/2" long to pull a hard to get needles out the back side, it gives you a better grip on the needle.

tEN wOLVES  :D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Dalton Masterson

10W, thats why I use the firehose to pull my needles. Its rubber lined on the inside, and also works as a delicately-used thimble, when I need a little push. Just dont push TOO hard, or it will go through. (Mine is getting dry rot, so doesnt push so well now)

DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Sounds good Dalton, a piece of fire hose would work well too, I never had very good luck pushing my needle through, I always seemed to break off the end of the needle, so now I just pull it through if it doesn't go through easily, and I haven't broke a needle in some time, although I have had the head split and had throw it away any how.

tEN wOLVES
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

JD Alan

I use a Bob Douglas awl and a rubber ball cut in half. FWIW I spoke to Bob Douglas last week, and mentioned usiing beeswax. He recommends that you avoid beeswax and use parafin instead.   
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Dalton Masterson

Why is that JD?? Did he say? I suppose the parafin is harder, and wont transfer as much wax to the hole?
DM
SASS #51139L
RATS #65
SCORRS
www.runniron.com

JD Alan

Believe it or not he said the beeswax was dirty and dulled the awl. I don't really know the man; I've met him once in person and talked to him a few times on the phone. He seems to me a man of strong opinions. He and has wife have been very nice to me.

The parafin you buy at the store is quite hard and brittle. I suppose in a warmer climat that oregon it would most like soften up.
Sewing stores have little plastic round holders with slits to poke needles through into the parafin. I bought one of those a year ago and the awl fits in there just fine.

Dalton, could you expand your description of how you use the fire hose? Like how big a piece of it do you use? Is it flat or round, and do you fold it over and grab the needle like it was a piece of cloth?

I use a small pair of Linemen's pliers that have smooth jaws. When I used pliers with lined jaws they tended to mark up the needles. I gave up on the cheap Tandy needles and use Osborne harness needles all the time now. I've yet to break one, though I've bent a few.           

Slowhand Bob

The possiblility is that he refers to the tacky qualities of bees wax holding dust and fine grit, thus becoming a grinding compound.  With that said, I always used the same 50/50 mixture for sewing, lubricating, edge filling/dressing, etc and remained dumb and happy.

Dalton Masterson

JD, I added a piece of hose to your envelope, which you should get sometime around July...!!! :o No I will try to get it out today.

I just pinch the needle between the layers of hose, which is rubber lined. The rubber allows a little bit of grip on the needle, and allows you to pull it through easier.
I have used a smooth pair of pliers, and your right. It just dings the needle, and a ding is gonna make it rougher to get through the hole, and cause the needle to break.

I can see the beeswax theory. Its soft enough to pick up dirt and grime (and cat hair) while the parafin is hard enough to not do that.
DM
SASS #51139L
RATS #65
SCORRS
www.runniron.com

JD Alan

It seems everyone and their dog uses beeswax, including Will Ghormley, who is like EF Hutton when it comes to leather. On the other hand people say if you want a high quality, sharp awl, Bob Douglas is the man. He's known for quality, sharp tools, new and used, and not to say he's old, but I understanding he's been in the leather tool biz a long time.

I'm not sure of the composition of the wax in the sewing stores gagets, but it's not rock hard and brittle like the stuff you buy when you're canning veggies.

Dalton, I appreciate the fotrthcoming package, and I'm still believing Slowhand Bob will get one out to me too ;D

ChuckBurrows

An alternative to the hose - those rubber finger tips used by office workers - you can get them in various sizes at most any office supply store - I use just one on my forefinger, but you can use one on your finger and one on your thumb if need be.

The wax from the sewing store is beeswax - as for dulling the awl - maybe?? but I use - it and have had no problems/.
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

cowboywc

Something to think about when hand sewing. I wash my hands right before to get rid of natural skin oils. I rub my fingers with my ball of Bees wax to get them sticky. I rub my needles with the wax also. Try not you touch you face while sewing, you will get oil on them. As I get my needle half way through the leather I rotate it in a big oval to open the hole up a bit. Needles slide through. The only time I use my pliers is when I'm back stitching. I don't have a problem with nicks on my needles.
Hope this helps.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

DUKE DEADEYE NUKEM

Is this the correct chisel/punch for hand stitching belts knife sheath's and holsters?
http://www.csosborne.com/no700.htm

Seems to me they were suppose to be a little on an angle if I recall from the "70's"
Here are somemore
http://www.csosborne.com/chisels_1.htm

TIA,
Deadeye

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Deadeye, I've been using the Osborn #700 Stitching chisel, my mentor CowboyWC turned me on to a while back, and I really like working with, it helps in keeping my stitch lines nice and straight, unlike a stitching awl, that is sharp on the sides, and more diamond shaped, the chisel makes a square hole, which also doesn't give in to tearing, I've been very happy with the results with the Osborn #700 stitching chisel, I bought two.

Regards

tEN wOLVES  :D

JD Alan

I'm another convert to the Osborne 700, via 10 wolves, via WC. In addition I use the 481 & 483, which are 1 & 3 prong versions of the 700.

DUKE DEADEYE NUKEM

Quote from: JD Alan on March 17, 2010, 11:46:08 PM
I'm another convert to the Osborne 700, via 10 wolves, via WC. In addition I use the 481 & 483, which are 1 & 3 prong versions of the 700.

I saw those on the Osborne website but can't find any 481 or 483.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com