Easy Mexican loop pattern

Started by JD Alan, March 10, 2010, 01:32:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JD Alan

Howdy guys. I've got a couple of fellas from church who are starting in on leatherworking. They both attended a class at Tandy with me, and now they've got their feet wet.

Can anyone suggest a simple Mexican loop pattern for these guys to work on? We would want it to fit a SAA 5 1/2.  I would be happy to buy one somewhere. I've got a bunch of Will G's patterns but they are a little intimidating for them.  I just don't have the time to make one up.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys, JD   
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

cowboywc

Quote from: JD Alan on March 10, 2010, 01:32:11 PM
Howdy guys. I've got a couple of fellas from church who are starting in on leatherworking. They both attended a class at Tandy with me, and now they've got their feet wet.

Can anyone suggest a simple Mexican loop pattern for these guys to work on? We would want it to fit a SAA 5 1/2.  I would be happy to buy one somewhere. I've got a bunch of Will G's patterns but they are a little intimidating for them.  I just don't have the time to make one up.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys, JD   

Howdy JD
Are they looking for the tooling pattern or the holster pattern?
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

JD Alan

I didn't make myself clear WC; they just want to build some functional holsters, and figured the easiest one would be a Mexican loop.
we biult some Slim Jims at the class but the Mexican loop would be easier in my estimation; you don't have to worry about any sort of keeper, and you have minimal hole punching and stitching.

Thanks for asking that clarifying question, JD

Dalton Masterson

JD, I think Will G's Cheyenne pattern is about the best out there. The pattern is right on the money as far as fit, and it goes together easily enough with just a few tools.
And its functional when your done with it...
If the tooling part is scaring them, trace an outline of the pattern, and let them try it then, without seeing the carving part.

DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Marshal Will Wingam

I think Dalton is right on the money. Will's Cheyenne pattern is a very good one. For a traditional Mexican loop, it's hard to beat for ease of construction and style.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

WaddWatsonEllis

Just a thought,

I just got done watching the Chuck Burrows DVD on holstermaking not long ago ... half of it is on a slim jim and half of it is on a loop style holster. It even goes over how to add 'bling' like spots and such.

Split between three or four guys, the DVD would be the equivalent of a couple of Starbucks each ... and the visual of watching holsters take form and shape is priceless. This link will take you to the DVD order page on Wild Rose Trading Post (AKA Chuck Burrow's) website ..

http://www.wrtcleather.com/tr-books/books-1.shtml

My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Major 2

I can send this pattern

I made both a double rig and a single holster from this copy of a original holster circa 1890's and in the Sears & Roebuck catalog
reprint I had
when planets align...do the deal !

JD Alan

Wouldn't you know that's one (Cheyenne) I don't have; and I've never seen. I bought every Will Ghormley pattern pack my local Tandy store offered: West Texas, Cattleman, Law Dog, Jessie James, 49er and Black Canyon. I guess different stores sell different ones

I could modify the West Texas and come out pretty close.

Major 2 that's very kind offer, but of couple of Will G's patterns that I have pretty much duplicate that pattern. Having said that I think you did a grea job with those, they look real good.

WWE, I own Chuck's excellent DVD; best money I've spent for this craft.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the info.

TN Mongo

JD,

You can order that pattern from Tandy on line.  I still think one of the best resourses for someone who is starting is the Al Stohlman book "How to Make Holsters".  There are a few loop patterns in the book, but it also does a real good job of explaining how to make your own patterns.

JD Alan

Thanks for that Mongo, but according to Tandy.com they no longer carriy that pattern, though I have found several sources online, including Will's website. I called my local Tandy store and they said they can't even order it.

cowboy316

JD
let me call my tandy guy and see if they got one or 2 id like that one to and if they do ill pick one up this week if i can
Cowboy316

Dalton Masterson

I think you can order it direct from Will too, via his website.
DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Freedom

www.7xleather.com ...Cowboy and Muzzle loading Gear

JD Alan

Tim, I appreciate your offer, but I'm going to order one direct from Will G. I'm hoping he gets a little more from it when he sells one direct.

Freedom, I have the Stohlman book; I was hoping to find a full size pattern so I could eliminate the step of making a pattern for them.

Thanks for everyone's help, I do appreciate it 

cowboywc

Quote from: JD Alan on March 11, 2010, 12:33:05 AM

Freedom, I have the Stohlman book; I was hoping to find a full size pattern so I could eliminate the step of making a pattern for them.

Thanks for everyone's help, I do appreciate it 

JD
I think you better check the book again. It has the full size pattern in it.
WC

Major 2

Quote from: JD Alan on March 10, 2010, 06:12:24 PM

Major 2 that's very kind offer, but of couple of Will G's patterns that I have pretty much duplicate that pattern. Having said that I think you did a grea job with those, they look real good.

thank you

I made the Brown one first for friend ( then made him a off side to match and a belt ) then I elongate the patten some for a 7 1/2" which I also gave him

...I made the Black double rig and the Girl uses it for mounted shooting.

All are lined, I really like the pebble grain
when planets align...do the deal !

outrider

JD,

Call Will and have him send you a pattern pack...he has all of them for sale on his web site.  Another good one is the Dodge City holster
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

JD Alan

I posted this on the show your stuff thread, but thought I would hang it here as well. I used Will G's Cattleman pattern. This was a slam it out project, and the dye isn't completely dry in this picture. I will take more care on the next one, and make some modifications as well. I will end up with a pattern for a functional holster my friends can use to make their own.

Thank you everyone for your help, and I still plan to get a couple of Will's patterns directly from him.

cowboywc

Howdy JD
What's wrong with that pattern? I think you did a great job.
WC

JD Alan

The pattern calls for riveted keeper straps. I made the skirt a little longer and cut in the slots, so it worked out pretty good.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com