Leather for a lined, carved holster...

Started by Skeeter Lewis, March 03, 2010, 01:30:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skeeter Lewis

To carve you need a minimum thickness of leather. For a lined holster, what would be a good thickness if the combined thickness is about nine ounces? Can I get away with, say, 6-7 ounce and 3-4 for the lining? What do pards do in this situation? I don't like really thick, stiff holsters.

cowboywc

Howdy Skeeter
That is about what I use. Most of the time it depends on what the customer wants.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

JD Alan

I'm just the opposite Skeeter; I want the holster to stand up to a mule sittin on it. Personal choice I guess.
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Boothill Bob

God I hate Ounce. In Sweden we have mm so when You are talking ounce I'm lost  ???
Can anyone help me convert ounce to mm I would be greatfull......... :-*
Shoot fast and aim straight

SASS#83079 SWS#1246

Skeeter Lewis

;D ;D ;D

3 ounce........1.2 mm
4 ounce........1.6 mm
5 ounce........2 mm
6 ounce........2.4 mm
7 ounce........2.8 mm
8 ounce........3.2 mm
9 ounce........3.6 mm
10 ounce........4 mm

Hope this helps!

My question was really whether 6 ounce (2.4 mm) was getting too thin for carving.

Boothill Bob

Tanx Skeeter, now I´m on the track again 8)

SASS#83079 SWS#1246

Boothill Bob

I have tryed to carv in 6 ounce leather now.. I think the stamping becomes shallow, Its no 3D effect :-\

SASS#83079 SWS#1246

ChuckBurrows

QuoteMy question was really whether 6 ounce (2.4 mm) was getting too thin for carving.
No - I carve 4/5 oz for hatbands - it will not have the "depth" of course that thicker leather can have, but then again period holsters were carved with different patterns than those of today and generally did not have the depth we see today.

FWIW - Here's a hatband in 4/5 oz carved with a wild rose pattern.......
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

Boothill Bob

SASS#83079 SWS#1246

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Good example Chuck, that's a nice looking and aged looking hat band, I agree that the carving of yesteryear wasn't near as deep as today, Packing Iron shows that, designs were simple and flowing, and nice to look at. I think 4/5 ounce leather is my limit on carving, I've tried 3/4 ounce, and wasn't able to control my depth, and had some areas where my stamp would almost go through the leather, so I stay with 4/5 and up now, but then again I'm no pro when it come to carving.
     Skeeter, I use 8/9 ounce leather as a rule for my holsters, and the same for gun belts, and I have found  4/5 ounce leather works fine as a liner for my gun belts. but the bottom line is what you want, it's a personal choice, some like a nice thick heavy weight belt and others like them light in weight and thickness, I have a few belts that are two pieces of 7/8 ounce, and that makes a fine belt to.

Regards

tEN wOLVES  :D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Skeeter Lewis

JD Alan

This has been an interesting thread. I hope some more guys will weight on on what they do. JD

Wiley Desperado

Well the real pros have spoken, so just in the sprite of group participation... I have been using 7/8 oz for holsters, and belts.  I like to carve and that thickness seems to work for me.  When I use lining I use 4/5 oz and also for bullet loops. 
WD

Boothill Bob

what´s 4/5 oz in mm?? I´m using 2.5 mm to bulletloops, but I think its to thick, it dont turn out
as I want it :'(

SASS#83079 SWS#1246

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

BH, 4 to 5 ounce in mm, is 1.6 mm to 2mm

tEN wOLVES
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Boothill Bob

Tanx TW.. Then I´m using to thick leather :-\
Its hard to do woven loops with 2.5 mm

SASS#83079 SWS#1246

JD Alan

2.5 would be 6-7 oz leather, maybe a little heavy for loops, but then who knows what all people do.

Missouri Half Breed

I know im new to lether makeing but my brother Missouri Marshal is a old hand and he has told me to try to keep it finished at about 10 so i use 7/8 for holsters and 2/3 pig skin for lining dont knoe if its right but it seems to work for me
your a daisy if you do

MontanaSlick

I use 3-4 oz for my liners n' loops, and 5-6 for the holster,that gives me a 10oz thickness, I like my belts a litlle thick using 2 1/2 " sturrip strips.

However, a 10 oz. works great too, depending on the length, it's the weight factor on the belt.

My thick wallet keeps my rig from falling down over my seat meat. :o

Happy leather time,
MS

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com