TTN vrs Baikal coach gun, which one should i get

Started by ironcowboy, February 28, 2010, 06:42:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ironcowboy

Well its a toss up, i have a line on both, price is not an issue, just want to make sure i get the best one, which would you guys recommend?

Thanks all!
-Semper Fi

Rowdy Fulcher

Howdy
The Baikal is light and kicks like a mad mule , The TTN is my favorite and EMF carries them . They are the 1878 Hartford .

WaddWatsonEllis

Baikal Warning!!!!

First, I love my Bounty Hunter ... I have even shot skeet with it!

But my gunsmith has had real problems getting replacement parts:

First, when you dial the 800 number, there is  seven or eight ques to go through (i.e., if you have a hangnail, press seven) before reaching a human being.

Secondly, my gunsmith was sent the wrong seers three times, having to pay for each before finding them the type for double triggers ( I have a single trigger). Finally, in disgust, he is haveing a friend TIG weld some very hard steel to the front of my original seers and will then file them to shape.

Thirdly, EAA no longer stocks the Baikal. It is being sold as a Remington Spartan 220 .... but although the same gun, Remington will only give a customer the 800 number for EAA (remember the seven plus ques?) and will drop the call as fast as possible.

So, like the Renaults, we have a decent to good product that is being cursed by its supply system (or lack thereof) ...

Just something to consider ....
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Major 2

Having shot both....TTN by leaps and bounds IMHO.
when planets align...do the deal !

Blackpowder Burn

I've had both.  I still have the TTN.  No question its a much superior shotgun.
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

ironcowboy

Thats what i needed to know guys! Thanks pards!  :D
-Semper Fi

Marshall John Joseph

I own both.  My Bakial has external hammers (cockers, not real hammers like the TTN) and double triggers.  The metal has a nicer finish/bluing and the gun itself is lighter in weight.  It has served me well so far. 

I purchased a Cimarron double from Ultona http://www.ultona.110mb.com/ who is selling them for $399.  The wood is nice.  As stated bluing not as fine as the Bakial, but those double real working hammers make this my first choice.  Both shotguns lock up tight as a drum, but the Cimarron breaks open easily and stays open - the Cimarron also has double triggers.

To choose one, the Cimarron.

MJJ

Daniel Nighteyes

I can't speak to the Baikal.  I CAN, and do, speak in favor of the TTN.  I've probably shot in excess of 300 matches with mine, and not a single problem -- zero, zip, nada.  I know quite a number of pards who also have TTN's and I've not heard even one squawk from any of them.

Regards,

-- Nighteyes

WaddWatsonEllis

Just Curious,

I have done cursory searches for information on the TTN SXS ... and all the searches yield a hammered shotgun.

Does TTN make a non-hammered SXS; and if so, what is the model #?
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

NCOWS #3403

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Quote from: WaddWatsonEllis on March 02, 2010, 05:01:21 PM
Just Curious,

I have done cursory searches for information on the TTN SXS ... and all the searches yield a hammered shotgun.

Does TTN make a non-hammered SXS; and if so, what is the model #?

Wad, not to my knowledge, all their side by side's have hammers.

tEN wOLVES
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

WaddWatsonEllis

Sigh,

Then I guess I will have to stick to my little Bounty Hunter with the single trigger ... I sure hope my 'smith has it ready this weekend .. he said he would ...

Or maybe an old SXS ... anyone have any thoughts ... Savage, Remington, Ithaca?

NCOWS #3403

WaddWatsonEllis

Of Note;

On this same forum my request for a source of Baikal parts or a smith that specializes in Baikals ...

Lookiloos 11, sources 0.

I rest my case ...

NCOWS #3403

Arcey

Quote from: WaddWatsonEllis on April 14, 2010, 08:30:36 PM
Of Note;

On this same forum my request for a source of Baikal parts or a smith that specializes in Baikals ...

Lookiloos 11, sources 0.

I rest my case ...

Let's move your request to "Gunsmithing" 'n see if we can get ya a bite.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn't be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it 'n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

WaddWatsonEllis

Arcey,

Seems to be the same score in the new address .... but:

I have sent the Baikal to Nate Kiowa Jones, and he is supposed to work on it this September ... and according to him, ALL Baikal seers must be reworked to fit the shotgun ...

I have bought a Stoeger Uplander to tuse as a hunting weapon when I get the Baikal back ... but it is extremely stiff to open, so may take the trip to Nate upon the return of the Baikal.

And that is how it sits today ...

NCOWS #3403

Major 2

Wadd... your Stoeger Uplander like the coach gun can be made to open smoother with simple work.

I simply polished the mating surfaces of the lugs & the curved surfaces where the fore-stock meets the forward of the receiver,
basicly just polish off the blue, started with 220 wet/dry and finished with 500.
I never even bothered messing with the lever spring.
My coach gun would drop right open.

StillI hankered for hammers..so the coach gun was sold..and I got the TTn....I've never been sorry.
when planets align...do the deal !

Arcey

Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn't be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it 'n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

WaddWatsonEllis

Arcey,

Yes we did ... although I really like my Baikal, I think I own the Renault of the shotgun world ... such a shame!

NCOWS #3403

reddfuzz

Hi,
i'm not a cas shooter but as an hunter SxS are my favourite shotguns, among short barreled SxS let me recommend the Pedersoli "Wyatt Earp". IMHO this is the best coach gun made today, it's beautiful, well made, made thinking at cowboy shooting and it's italian (think to benelli, beretta, uberti etc.) not chinese, turkish or russian... i'm not a Pedersoli supporter but i tried one and i can say the Pedersoli "wyatt earp" is a masterpiece of gun craftmanship (it's hand made)... one drawback? well, maybe the price and the waiting time to have one, but it's worth for. here in europe costs 1000 euros (about 1200 u.s. dollars) but I know that in usa weapons are cheaper than in europe I don't know why...
this is the website:
http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/default.aspx?item=ArmiCategoriaDettaglio&CategoriaId=305&Articolo=S.707&lang=en

thanks, best regards.

Dragob

Just got my new Pioneer Shotgun this morning and took it to the range this afternoon. It is a beauty and shoots like a dream. Every aspect of the gun is top quality, fit, finish, and functioning. It seems to be race ready out of the box, but I will have to let some more experienced folks have a crack at it for a second opinion.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com