Badge Slide

Started by amin ledbetter, February 24, 2010, 10:40:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amin ledbetter

I fixed up a quick Badge Holder to match my gun belt. Got it finished up today. No frill just a simple badge slide to clip my SASS badge on.

I was going to post a pick of the pattern but my Scanner went a  little nuts and decided it didn't feel like doing any scanning tonight. I will mess with it and try and get it to work.

JD Alan

That's a real nice look there Amin. What did you use to make that round cut for the badge? Maybe it's not a cut; it's hard to tell. I like the shape you've chosen, it's a winner in my book.
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

GunClick Rick

Bunch a ole scudders!

amin ledbetter

Quote from: JD Alan on February 24, 2010, 11:04:45 PM
That's a real nice look there Amin. What did you use to make that round cut for the badge? Maybe it's not a cut; it's hard to tell. I like the shape you've chosen, it's a winner in my book.

Thanks JD. If you are talkin about the tooled circle in the center, I used a drafting type circle template and scribed it onto the leather with a stylus. Then I followed the scribe line with my swivel knife and beveled the edges. If it was the two cut outs for the badge pin and lock, I used the only thing I had pard! An exacto knife with a new blade.

Gun Butcher

Looks great, Amin. Nice simple design that works. Always the best combination as far as I'm concerned.
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

Slowhand Bob

Very pretty and looks like a perfect match for the belt.  Did you add a snap to it or just rivet/sew it solid in the back?  Earlier JD had asked about putting something on the back to shield the belt from the pin arrangement but I have found that with 8-9oz leather and a skived slot for the actual pin to lay in, they do not actually damage my belts.  Your contoured lines do give a very artistic touch to a project that doesnt have room for frills. 

JD Alan

Thanks Bob for your additional info there.

Amin, I appreciate you sharing how you did the work. It appears to me, but pictures often fool you, that you dug out, or shaved down, not sure of the proper term, that round area the badge sits in. It looks like more than just a circle cut, but maybe it's the light when the picture was take.

In any event, it is a perfect match to your belt. It is hard to believe this rig is your first leather project. You've taken to this like a duck to water, no doubt.

Thanks for sharing your work, it's an inspiration.   

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Very nice amin, good design and well executed, Yep, I think you're hooked OK.

tEN wOLVES  ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

amin ledbetter

Quote from: Slowhand Bob on February 25, 2010, 08:41:42 AM
Very pretty and looks like a perfect match for the belt.  Did you add a snap to it or just rivet/sew it solid in the back?  Earlier JD had asked about putting something on the back to shield the belt from the pin arrangement but I have found that with 8-9oz leather and a skived slot for the actual pin to lay in, they do not actually damage my belts.  Your contoured lines do give a very artistic touch to a project that doesnt have room for frills. 

I used two Chicago screws on the back wide. I was looking at it this morning and got to thinking about the pin lock on the back of the badge being on the inside of the slide, if it moves it will scratch the belt. I was going to post that very question on what to do to prevent it happening. The pin only protrudes about 3/32 on the inside of the slide. I thought about maybe attaching a thinner piece of leather inside the slide to go between the front inner part of the slide and the belt. Don't know! Maybe have to make another one and change the design a bit!  ??? You read my mind though SB!

JD It is just a tooled circle. It is actually smaller than the badge is. I did it just to have a place to make the darker brown so it would match my holsters and the belt. 

Ned Buckshot

I make mine with a 9-10 peice behind the front with a slot cutout for the pin etc. to lay in. That way even if it moves it can't reach the belt. Kindof a pain to get the "latch" flipped over but it works very well for me.

If you put a thin piece behind how would you get it latched?

Ned
Ned Buckshot

SASS# 2901   nedbuckshot@gmail.com

SEE MY ADS IN CAS CITY CLASSIFIEDS

amin ledbetter

I don't know Ned. I was thinking if I did a loop I could make it from some 3-4 oz leather and attach it through the Chicago screws on the back side. It would only need to be about 2" wide and centered within the slide. Don't know how it would look though. I think I would be better off redoing it and making an insert for the badge itself on the front of the slide and just cut a slot in the main body of it like you mentioned for the pin. Don't see an easy fix for this one. But that's how you learn I guess. If at first you don't succeed, try again! Back to the drawing board.

Texas Lawdog

Bro. Amin, You outdid yourself again.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

JD Alan

Eight bits has a badge holder where he stitches a thin piece of leather to the top to protect the belt.
http://eightbits.home.att.net/

Amin, thanks for that info on tooling the circle; that's not something I had thought of.

Wiley Desperado

Amin, good job pard real good looking badge holder.  ;D
Wiley

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com