Ladder Frame Sight on a Lever Action?

Started by WaddWatsonEllis, February 21, 2010, 05:25:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WaddWatsonEllis

Hi,

I was watching 'The Streets of Laredo' the other day, and Captain Woodrow Call pulls out what looks like a Winchester (Marlin?) lever action and it has a ladder sight a la Spencer and Rolling Block rifle style. What is more interesting was that the rear sight was not mounted on the tang, but where the normal 'buckhorn' rear sight would be mounted.

Was this just another 'Hollywood-ism' or were there actually lever actions around like this one?

My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Shotgun Franklin

I'm sure it was a W-W clone. Historically you could custom order nearly anything you wanted on a W-W rifle. I know I've seen original Henry's with a ladder sight.
IMO, with any revolver cartridge it's just not practical. The longest range  I've shoot my '73 at is 100 yards and the drop was very noticeable.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

WaddWatsonEllis

Shotgun,

I don't know what round he was firing, and it would be interesting to know ... if I remember right, it was not a Henry (no brass), so would have to be a Winchester or Marling ... it did look like a '73 though ....

I was thinking that the position on top of the barrel would be very perilous for a ladder sight when in a scabbard ... but again, who is to know?
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

NCOWS #3403

Ranch 13

No not a hollyweird invention. Ladder sights were common on rifles in the late 1800's, and Winchester even continued to put them on 94 carbines up until about WWII
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

WaddWatsonEllis

Ranch,

They still make tang mounted ladder sights for the Winchesters ... but this one was mounted up forward where the spring-and-leaf buckhorn sights were normally mounted. I had never seen one mounted so far forward (i.e. on the barrel).

But I guess they are right; if someone like Capt Woodrow Call wanted a rifle with said sights, someone (either the company or a gunsmith) was gonna fill the need and make it for him ....

NCOWS #3403

Ranch 13

Yes that's what I told you. They were barrel mounted ladder sights, and quite common up until WWII.
Buffalo Arms has several modern copies of them on their web.
Just for kicks and grins and lot of learnin go to Cornell Publishing and buy a handfull of reprints of old catalogs, tons of excellent information contained in those books.

WaddWatsonEllis

Ranch,

Thanks for the info!  If I had a .30-.30 or some such where distance accuracy an not quick sight fixation (i.e., like SASS) was not the challenge, I would start looking for one of those sights ... but for .45 Schofield in a '73 Winchester at 30-50 feet, I guess I will keep the buckhorns ....

NCOWS #3403

Ranch 13

WaddWatsonEllis

Ranch,

My Uberti Winchester '73 is a tack driver at the distance we shoot with the 'Buckhorn' sights that come with them. And I am one of those 'if-it-works-don't-fix-it' type of guys.

But if I ever get a Model 92 or some such with a high power rifle round, I now have the Buffalo Arms website in my 'Favorites'!

NCOWS #3403

Shotgun Franklin

I use a Buckhorn sight on my Marlin .38-55 and just love it. I use it for hunting and it's the easiest iron sight I've ever used. From a bench rest I've shot groups under 2". And yep, I use the same sight on my Saa and truck guns.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Daniel Nighteyes

My new-to-me Uberti Henry (thanks again, OCB!) has a barrel-mounted flip-up ladder sight, and I have seen the same sight on some Uberti 66's.  When down, the base has a regular notch sight that's great for any distance we're likely to shoot in a main match.

Haven't yet tried using it for long(er) range shots.  I suspect that the cowboy loads I use will have a trajectory like a basketball.

-- Nighteyes

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

Remember the scene in LONESOME DOVE, where Gus shoots the buffalo hunter?

I've heard a few suggestions about holding a similar match at extreme pistol calibre range.  The proposed name was the GUS.

Similar ladder sights used to be regular equipment on carbines initially designed with cavalry use in mind.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

Daniel Nighteyes

Quote from: Sir Charles deMouton-Black on February 22, 2010, 11:35:08 AM

I've heard a few suggestions about holding a similar match at extreme pistol calibre range.  The proposed name was the GUS.

Similar ladder sights used to be regular equipment on carbines initially designed with cavalry use in mind.

The match sounds like a good idea, but you'd need a dead horse for the shooters to lie behind...  ;) ;D

WaddWatsonEllis

Daniel,

Now if you limited that dead horse to a Model 66, you could call it the 'Tribute to a Bad Man' .... or the Jimmy Cagney ...*S*

NCOWS #3403

Delmonico

Quote from: Sir Charles deMouton-Black on February 22, 2010, 11:35:08 AM

Despite what was said in an earlier post, any of these rifles or handguns can hit at long distance.  Staff officer class at the GAF Muster (pistol only class) was won by a Staff Officer who hit steel several times at 175 yards.  Kentucky Windage is what it's called, any one want to stand 400 yards away from me with my old Nylon 66, and that's a puny little 22LR. ;)

Now this would be a better thing to hide behind for a Gus match, we all know how he was fond of his pigs:

(Sorry Sir Charles, took too much work to post it only once.) ;D ::) :o
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

Daniel Nighteyes

Quote from: Delmonico on February 22, 2010, 07:24:55 PM
any one want to stand 400 yards away from me with my old Nylon 66, and that's a puny little 22LR. ;)

Nope, 'cause with my scoped bolt-action .22LR I can hit anything I can see out to about 500 yards.... as long as the wind isn't blowing too hard.  In fact, I have seriously p*ssed off some high-power rifle shooters by hitting targets they couldn't.

(And I loved every second of it, too! 8) 8))

Delmonico

Most folks don't know tat the 22 LR was developed for 200 yard off hand shooting. ;)  The trajectory of that round is not a lot different than the black powder pistol rounds, provided you use the proper bullet weight, not those little short gumdrop bullets.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Ranch 13

It only takes about 36-37 points elevation on the staff of the soule sight on my 22 lowall to make 300 yds.

Delmonico

Quote from: Ranch 13 on February 23, 2010, 05:30:00 PM
It only takes about 36-37 points elevation on the staff of the soule sight on my 22 lowall to make 300 yds.

All it takes is a bit of understanding of trajectory, even shotguns have some out past 50 yards.  Amount depends on the size of the shot. 
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com