How well do the Tippman Sewing machines work?

Started by DUKE DEADEYE NUKEM, February 20, 2010, 05:51:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DUKE DEADEYE NUKEM

I can't find anyone to make the leather goods I need so it looks like I'm going to have to make them myself. *
So the wifes bidding on a Tippman machine on ebay. Well it's a new Tippman.  :-\
TIA,
Duke

Would one use this also for saddle making?
(The wife enrolled us in saddle making school which I had to call them up and postpone. I really trully don't want to learn to make saddles at my age. <just thinking out loud>)

*Prior to my retirement I was an Engineer and a Master Craftsmen.

Ned Buckshot

Which model Tippman Duke?

I owned a Boss (manual operated) for less than two weeks once. I couldn't stand it and went back to hand stitching everything like I always have.

I've heard the power models work quite well but have no experiance.

Ned
Ned Buckshot

SASS# 2901   nedbuckshot@gmail.com

SEE MY ADS IN CAS CITY CLASSIFIEDS

DUKE DEADEYE NUKEM

Quote from: Ned Buckshot on February 20, 2010, 06:01:49 AM
Which model Tippman Duke?

I owned a Boss (manual operated) for less than two weeks once. I couldn't stand it and went back to hand stitching everything like I always have.

I've heard the power models work quite well but have no experiance.

Ned

Thanks for your reply Ned.
It's the Tippman Boss. Price looks right.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Tippmann-Boss-Leather-Sewing-Machine_W0QQitemZ110490580762QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBI_Sewing_Machines?hash=item19b9c0771a

DUKE DEADEYE NUKEM

Just for kicks, what thread size is used for hand stiching belts and holsters Ned? I haven't done any hand stiching in about 20 years. Though I do have some interest across the way for 10 or so hand crafted lacing horses I will be replicating in my shop. Like you could display in your living room handcrafted.  ;)

Ned Buckshot

I use 5 cord waxed linen thread, I get it from Weaver. I don't know of a specific size. But the package says #1?

Ned
Ned Buckshot

SASS# 2901   nedbuckshot@gmail.com

SEE MY ADS IN CAS CITY CLASSIFIEDS

Slowhand Bob

I am probably as close as you will come to an advocate on here.  I bought a BOSS many years ago and hated it for a spell but by the time I was ready to sell it, I had very mixed emotions and all sorts of excuses to hang on to the old machine.  If this is realistically the only way you will ever get to graduate from hand sewing, the BOSS will improve your production and relieve your arthyrightous hands by a factor of twenty+.  Are there other options available and would some of them be better, I need a lot more input for debating that one.   

outrider

Let me be blunt......Do you own a boat?  The tippman makes a great boat anchor.  Seriously, I had one for awhile and quite frankly was releived the day I sold it.  Never could get that thing to operate properly.....I bit the bullet and bought a Ferdco Pro 2000, and after a short learning curve..have never regretted it.

If you have an engineering degree...maybe you can re-design it to work properly.
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Johnny McCrae

A co-worker does leather work on the side and has a Tippman. I asked him to sew a sample Holster for me as the thought crossed my mind to eventually buy a Tippman. After examining the sample, I felt my hand stitching looked to be of better quality. One side had a completely different appearance than the other. My hand stitching looks the same on either side. I decided to stick with hand stitching.

This is just a humble opinion from an amateur.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

TN Mongo

I still own a Tippman, but the only thing I use it for now is a hole punch for very thick holster welts.  I hand sew very well and I never could get the Tippman to match my hand stitching.  I had a real problem keeping the thread tension adjusted on the machine.  Every time the thickness of the leather changed, you have to re adjust the tension.

I sell leather work, but I still teach school full time.  My leather orders had gotten to the point that I was going to have to turn down work or buy a better sewing machine.  After looking at Outrider's high dollar Juki 441 copy at his shop, I purchased a less expensive one from a different company.  Outrider's machine is wonderful, but I'm very happy with mine and I paid much less.  I chose the Cobra Class 4 and I have been happy with how it sews and the customer support I have received.  Except for some minor set-up questions, I really haven't had any problems.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com