1860s Holster-My Version Added

Started by Mogorilla, February 19, 2010, 12:22:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mogorilla

If you guys go to the NCOWS forum, you know Shotgun Steve puts up lots of great period photos.  he posted this 1860s slimjim holster and I am hoping to make it soon (depending on my school schedule).  Anyway, I outlined the holster and carving, thought I would share if someone else wanted to make one.

The original

The outline

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Mogorilla, thanks for sharing this, I resized it to 200% and it it should work fine.

tEN wOLVES  :D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Marshal Will Wingam

That's a beautiful holster, Mo. It'll be fun to see it when you make it. Thanks for the pics.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Forty Rod

I really like that one.  I can picture it with a matching belt.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Biscuit Joe

I find it amazing how slim a slim Jim holster appears when used on a long barreled revolver.  ;D
Thanks for the pattern.

JD Alan

Man that is a beautiful holster, well carved.

Looks like 40 Rod got himself a new picture/avatar

Looks great
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

MontanaSlick

Nice Mo, will make ya a fine project and thanks for posting it and the pattern as well.
Slick

Gun Butcher

Hey Mo, thanks a million for posting that pattern. I really love the old ones.

TW, thanks for the hint on sizing it for printing 200% was just right.
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Quote from: Gun Butcher on February 19, 2010, 06:37:26 PM
Hey Mo, thanks a million for posting that pattern. I really love the old ones.

TW, thanks for the hint on sizing it for printing 200% was just right.

:D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

MontanaSlick

200ert was just right TW, Thanks

Thanks to Pappy fer makin' it all possible. :)

MS

Mogorilla

THis is my version of the holster.   Only my third attempt at tooling.   Still working out the kinks.   Holds an 1860 or 1851 just fine.

Forty Rod

Nothing there to be ashamed of, Mo.  You did just fine.  The carving is right on the money for the style and the color is great.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Mongorilla , like Forty said it looks fine pard, you did a nice job on this, and I like the other trappings too, your gun looks like it fits well, thanks for sharing this with us.

tEN wOLVES  :D

Gun Butcher

Great job Mo.  Love the color. that seems to be my biggest hurdle right now.
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

cowboywc

Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

Mogorilla

Thanks for the comments.  This color is the Eco-Flo All-in-one Dye, Acorn Brown.  I am Loving the Eco-flo stuff.  The all in one is a thick gel.  I wet the holster with a spray bottle, using a wool dauber put the color on, wiped it off a minute later.  There was a streak on the back, wet it and wiped again.  All good.   I really recommend the Eco-flo dyes I have used.   

Gun Butcher

What am I doing wrong with the eco-flo gel. Been trying to use the Antiquing and it always seems to come out way darker than I think it ought to. I have tried everything that I know( don't laugh I know thats not much) and it always gets real dark and muddy on me. Oh, its the saddle tan.

Mogorilla

I haven't used the antiquing version.  I have great luck with the leather being damp.  Definitely did some test pieces, I find some leather just takes it more than others.   

Kid Terico

Mogorilla thats a darn nice job all the way around. KT

Arizona Cattleman

MO, nice jo, great lookin holster.  GB, I use alcohol wipes sometimes to get the gel colors to lighten up some and blend them.  Just my 2 cents.  Try it on a sample.

AC
SASS Member #86387
NRA Member
USCCA Member

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com