New Projects

Started by will ghormley, February 16, 2010, 08:20:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boothill Bob

Dalton, thats looks good, I want my pattern to :)
Shoot fast and aim straight

SASS#83079 SWS#1246

Marshal Will Wingam

Dalton, those are really coming along. That tooling will look good in just about any color. It'll be nice to see what you finally put on them.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

will ghormley

Hey Johnny Dingus,

I made 16 different belts for Crowe.  They wanted one to wear over a coat, the wanted one to wear tight so he could draw from it fast, they wanted one loose so it had a sexy sag on his hip, they wanted two that could be worn together, they wanted ones for right hand holsters only, ones for two holsters, etc.  You get the idea.  It was in October when they were goin' to start shootin'.  They were starting on a Monday, and I finished up the last of the gear and over-nighted it to New Mexico so it would arrive the Saturday before filming started.  All was well with my world.  Me and Jon Watsabaugh had been workin' 20 hour days, seven days a week, just to get all the last minute stuff done.

Then, Sunday afternoon when I got home from goin' out to lunch with the family after church, I had a phone message.  They wanted to know if I could make three more belts for Crowe a half inch shorter than one set of belts I had already made - and have 'em done by Monday.  I called 'em back and wanted to shout into the phone, "What?  Are you crazy?  There are four other holes on those belts for a reason!  They are ADJUSTABLE!"  But instead, I said, "Have them done by Monday?  Are you crazy?  It takes at least three days to manufacture and age those belts."  But, I just happened to have two belts on the table, already cut out, but a little too long for what they wanted.  So, I told 'em I could adjust those belts and have 'em in NM on Tuesday.  So I worked through the night into Monday morning, took a nap, finished 'em up and shipped 'em overnight.

They got 'em, phoned me up and told me they looked great, and that it worked out perfectly.  Crowe wasn't even scheduled to start his filming till Wednesday.  I could have spit nails.  I'm sayin' all that to say this, the number of belt loops varied from belt to belt, depending on the length.

However, this does bring up a point that I forgot to point out on the pattern.  On the billet (tongue) end of the belt pattern, the bullet loops patterns start at the same place they actually did on Crowe's belts.  They didn't want any loops under the holsters.  The loops started behind the holster and ran all the way 'round till I couldn't get any more on before the chape.  That's the reason for the little marks that say, "No loops beyond this mark", or whatever it was that I put on the pattern.  For a double holster rig, just leave a space at both ends of the belt.  For a left handed rig, use the space from the billet end of the belt for the space on the chape end of the belt.

If that don't make sense to someone, they can email me for clarification.  But, right this minute, I've got to get back to workin' on the Ringo Rig.

Will

P.S.  Those holsters are lookin' sharp Dalton!  Glad to see you're puttin' the pattern to good use!

"When Liberty is illegal, only the outlaws will be free."  Will Ghormley

"Exploit your strengths.  Compensate for your weaknesses."
Will Ghormley

Boothill Bob

Will, I think u dident had much speartime when u made Mr Crows rig(s)..
Cheeeses so many rigs for one move :o
Shoot fast and aim straight

SASS#83079 SWS#1246

Johnny Dingus

Will,

Thanks for breaking from your busy schedule to give us that story.
Hope things are going well for you and yours.

Will be getting your Ringo Pattern from you too.

Johnny Dingus
Spittin Lead and Packin Steel

Not Looking for a Fight but not Runnin Either

Shootin 45LC Ruger Vaqueros, 45LC USFA
Sass 70597  Yeah they count that far
Rat 285
USFA CSS 166

GunClick Rick

Why is the flower pattern so prevelent on leather designs and such?? Just wondering? seems it was on leather shirts,saddles,all kinds of stuff?
Bunch a ole scudders!

Dalton Masterson

Rick, cuz tv's werent invented yet!
DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

will ghormley

Hey Rick,

It's kind'a a long story, but I'll try to make it short.

The Iberian Peninsula had a long history of decoration with geometric designs.  You can see it in the architectural decoration throughout the Arab world to this day.  The geometric decoration extended to their leather work as well.  When Islam invaded Europe, they gained a stronghold in what is now Spain.  For generations, the Muslims influenced everything in Spain, including their leather arts.  Eventually, the Muslims were driven from Spain, but their influence remained.

When the Spaniards established colonies in the Americas, they brought with them their Islamic tradition of decorating saddles and other leather goods with the geometric designs of the Iberian Peninsula.  The Aztecs had long decorated their structures with carved stone patterns, based on stylized floral (flowers and plants) decorations.  As the Aztecs and other earlier immigrant tribes learned leather working traditions from the Spaniards, they adapted their old tradition of stylized floral carving to their decoration of leather goods.  Many of the elements of the traditional "Western" floral carving, can still be distinctly seen the the surviving stone carvings of the Aztecs.

When the Santa Fe trail was established from Missouri to what would become New Mexico, in the 1820s, the floral leather carving of what we then called Mexico, began to influence the saddle makers of Missouri.  "Spanish" saddles became popular among Mountain Men and western explorers, and American artisans began mimicking their southern counterparts.  Eventually, the Spanish saddle was absorbed into our western horse culture and the floral designs inherited from the Aztecs and Muslims became as American as our "Cowboys".  Now you know why there are so many girlie flowers on such manly things as saddles and holsters.

Will

Will Ghormley

GunClick Rick

Well skip to ma lou my darlin,there's a history lesson fer ya.. :-\ I do remember though when i went to the Gene Autry museum there were a few saddles there with native american motifs.Thanks for the lesson Will,very interesting...
Bunch a ole scudders!

GunClick Rick

Quote from: Dalton Masterson on June 15, 2010, 02:19:18 PM
Rick, cuz tv's werent invented yet!
DM

That was star gazin Dalton ;D
Bunch a ole scudders!

JD Alan

Man, you guys are really doin some great carvin, very impressive

Will, thanks so much for those great stories as well as the great instructions

If you ever get out to Oregon you've got an open invitation speak to our church.

The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Marshal Will Wingam

JD, I moved Will's reply to your post over to the Bunkhouse thread since it was a little off-topic but where it can still be read.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

JD Alan

No Problem Marshal, thanks. 
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

will ghormley

Workin' on the Ringo Rig pattern.  Not too many tricks to that one, so the "How-To" page will be a bit shorter.  I've got some photos, but I've been too busy puttin' all the patterns and the proto-type together to be able to sit down at the computer.

Will

Will Ghormley

will ghormley

I was finally able to overcome the computer glitches that were keeping me from updating my "How-To" page on the HOG rig.  I've got it fixed to show the envelope cover for the pattern now.

http://www.willghormley-maker.com/MakingHOGRig.html

Will

Will Ghormley

Django

Will you are all artist!
Django.
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND STILL HAVE MOST OF IT LEFT
Website http://www.savoirfaire-jazz.co.uk/index.html

amin ledbetter

Will! Are all the Craftools for the HOG rig listed on the How To Page? I was wander because Tandy has all the Craftools at 50% off and the sale ends next Wednesday! Looks like they still have all the ones on the How To Page. 

will ghormley

Yup.  I believe I listed all the stamping tools required for that pattern in the "How-To" article.  They are also on the back page of the pattern envelope.

Will

Will Ghormley

Dalton Masterson

Hey Will, where did you get the lace puller from??
DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

will ghormley

Hey Dalton,

I got that one from Weaver Leather.  But, I just made another "Hand of God" rig for a guy, and as I was layin' in bed the night before, I thought to myself, "Why don't you just thread them laces through there before you sew the holster up.  Then, go back and get it the right length and put the Turk's head knot in there."  So, that's what I did on the one I just made.  Worked just fine and I didn't need the threader!

Will

Will Ghormley

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com