Horse and Rider

Started by Capt. Hamp Cox, May 24, 2005, 06:01:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt. Hamp Cox

Quote from: litl rooster on May 29, 2005, 11:04:02 AM
Capt. I don't know if I can honestly give the correct definition. I am sure if you asked 10 people to do the same , you would get 10 answers. My dad always said it was because they were bed to run the 1/4 mile, or short distances fast. Micheal Martin Murphy's song Quarter Horse Rider gives a pretty good defintion. AQHA does have a good website. Which I general use to background my prospects.  Then on the lighter side find a Maryland? quarter and turn it over. ;D<):)

Found it (Quarter Horse Rider) here: http://cowboyfrank.net/CowboyMusic.htm .  Is he saying "Celtic, Spanish, and thoroughbred"?

litl rooster

I believe the Spanish was what we call the Mustang today, related back to the Spanish Barb. Most say they even go back to the Arab breed, The Arab breeders claim all horses come from the Arab horse. One more musical reference to the horse, Ian Tyson's, La Primera(the first) No doudts the Throroughbreds and other breeds were crossed to give certin traits to the Quarter Horse(cowhorse), Speed,Endurance etc.
Mathew 5.9

Capt. Hamp Cox

Since we been talkikn' horses here, and epitaphs next door, thought this was kinda neat.

The Bronc Buster's Epitaph
by S. Omar Barker
Copyright 1928

Lies here where winds, sun rays an' rains
Come beatin' o'er his head,
A bowleg son o' western plains
Whose name was Fork 'em Fred.

The bronco-stompers' grand cham-peen,
He never pulled no leather.
He come out knockin' on 'em clean--
Some hundreds altogether.

Life bucked him off--most likely down--
Fer he was wild an' rowdy.
Too r'arin' fer to wear a crown
Or tell St. peter howdy.

Here lies pore Fred--no, that ain't right!
I'll bet yuh, onthe level,
He's raisin' hell in hell tonight
Bronc-stompin' some pore Devil!

Silver Creek Slim

NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

litl rooster

Mathew 5.9

litl rooster

Name 2 of the Horses John Wayne rode in his career
Mathew 5.9

Scattered Thumbs

Browsing the link Slim provided, I found the horses from my (little)corner of the World. ;D

http://www.imh.org/imh/bw/lusitan.html

Capt. Hamp Cox

Quote from: litl rooster on June 02, 2005, 03:38:00 AM

From True Grit on, wasn't it pretty much Dollar?

litl rooster

Mathew 5.9

Russ T Chambers

Quote from: litl rooster on June 02, 2005, 03:38:00 AM

Dollar was in The Shootist
Cochise was in El Dorado, nice Appy
True grit was Bo or Beau, don't not how they spelled it.
Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

litl rooster

Russ T is on his game today 3 ou of 2.... ;D

Quote from: Scattered Thumbs on June 02, 2005, 05:21:42 AM

Browsing the link Slim provided, I found the horses from my (little)corner of the World. ;D

http://www.imh.org/imh/bw/lusitan.html

Good article one of my work pards is from Portugal, he's showed me books and picks of the horses there.
Mathew 5.9

litl rooster

Just watched a rereleased/remake/special edtion? Of Tumbleweeds, William S Hart does a farewell to the business in the beginning..What was his horses name?_______?
Mathew 5.9

Capt. Hamp Cox

Quote from: litl rooster on June 12, 2005, 06:20:07 PM
Just watched a rereleased/remake/special edtion? Of Tumbleweeds, William S Hart does a farewell to the business in the beginning..What was his horses name?_______?

Fritz? 

litl rooster

lr throws another stick on the campfire and hands the Capt. the doo dads back...Good fast shootin' Capt.
Mathew 5.9

Capt. Hamp Cox

Quote from: litl rooster on June 12, 2005, 07:06:57 PM
lr throws another stick on the campfire and hands the Capt. the doo dads back...Good fast shootin' Capt.

That one was easy since Texana says I'm "on the fritz" most of the time.

Capt. Hamp Cox

Not directly related to this thread, but might be interesting to some of you equine enthusiasts.

http://www.kancoll.org/khq/1977/77_3_gray.htm

litl rooster

That's another good read Capt., I would think it would have been more taking on the horses both sides than their humane counter parts. Now considering the soldier horses were not breed for that country to start with I see even more problems with them.
About 12 to 15 miles to my west lies the Town of Front Royal, there is a piece of Ground there known as the Remount Station,( still occupied by the Federal Govt.) Horses were prepared there for military use in the west and Drove to Town and loaded on Trains, I believe to Ft Riley where they were trained and reassigned. It is(Remount Sta.) now used for the DEA, US Customs and I believe the INS they train Dogs there. I'll see if I can find a archive on the role of military horses I read last year.
Mathew 5.9

Capt. Hamp Cox

Visited Front Royal and surrounding area several times while stationed in Maryland.  Beautiful country.

litl rooster

Quote from: Capt. Hamp Cox on June 19, 2005, 12:14:28 PM
Visited Front Royal and surrounding area several times while stationed in Maryland.  Beautiful country.

Seems we ended up in different parts of the country I was stationed at Lackland twice and Camp Bullis for training. When I wasn't in Thailand I was in a western state :D However I am still looking for that beautiful country here, mostly sub divisions now.
Mathew 5.9

Capt. Hamp Cox

Quote from: litl rooster on June 19, 2005, 08:25:46 PM
Quote from: Capt. Hamp Cox on June 19, 2005, 12:14:28 PM

Seems we ended up in different parts of the country I was stationed at Lackland twice and Camp Bullis for training. When I wasn't in Thailand I was in a western state :D However I am still looking for that beautiful country here, mostly sub divisions now.

Dec '68 - Dec '69 Camp Friendship (Korat) and Camp Samae San (near Sattahip).  When were you there?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com