designed a tank bib for my new motorcycel

Started by knucklehead, February 07, 2010, 05:22:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

knucklehead

finaly got my harley 3 weeks ago after waiting 3 years ;D ;D ;D ;D
the piece on the harley gas tank from the dash(speedo area) to the seat is plastic.
i decided that it is time to make one out of leather.
i got it all stamped and saddle oiled. right now its drying. in 4 hours i will be dying it black.
then will be lacing the edges. i will be doing the mexican round braid for the first time on this piece of leather.
its a good thing i have the chan greer lacing video.
I'M #330 DIRTY RAT.

JD Alan

Hey Knucklehead, congratulations on the Harley! The tank looks like a Fat Boy. You gonna retire the Shadow? I'm gonna take the holster class they're offering at Tandy in a couple of weeks. I figure I've still got lots to learn.

I don't know if you met Bobby or not at Chan Geer's class. He brought a few holsters in then, and I liked what he was doing

I look foward to see your new ride and the leather insert, JD
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

cowboywc

Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

Johnny McCrae

Howdy Knucklehead,

That is a great design with excellent workmanship. You just saved yourself forty to fifty bucks by making it yourself. Even more important is that you made it yourself and it looks ten times better then what you could buy from HD.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

knucklehead

JD, your close its a 2006 heritage softtail classic. the shadow has a new owner my dad.

johnny you are so right about spendy from HD. we all know that HD also stands for high dollar.
i have been looking at the hd access. catalog and did not like all the plain jane designs on tank bibs.
so decided that it was time to make one.

now that i started this for the harley dad wants me to design one for the shadow... :D
i get more practice this way. ;D

and thanks to all for the coments. i will be posting more pics as i get more done. was going to start lacing it tomorrow untill i found out that i dont have any black lace. ??? ???
all i have right now is light brown and dark brown >:( so the lacing will have to wait till i can get to the leather factory for some black lace.

JD i signed up for jim linnel's class on 30 march at the leather factory so hope to see you at that one at least
I'M #330 DIRTY RAT.

knucklehead

almost forgot. I also have the windshield bag parts cutout.

I'm in the process of clamping the parts together to where it looks like a bag so i can refine the flap shape.
I cut the main body out oversize so i can trim it to fit.
still not 100% sure how to make this type of pattern without cutting leather oversize and fitting it as i go. :-[

i know there is a better way to make patterns  ???but this seams to work for me.

I'M #330 DIRTY RAT.

Marshal Will Wingam

That bib looks good, KH. Great stamping. It'll be really nice with the black dye lace. Looking forward to the pics.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

JD Alan

Great choice of bikes Kuncklehead, my Heritage is the middle bike in the picture. It's a '94

I'm signed up for that class as well, so I'll be seeing you there.
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Dave Cole

For bags like that I usually make a wood or plastic form, to mold over and mak my patterns.Dave ;D

northwestgrizzly

Thats a nice piece.....dont know how'd it look on mine. I prefer a little bit of speed vs the cruiser style....

"We have enough youth, how about a fountain of smart?"

Farmer

Quote from: knucklehead on February 07, 2010, 05:22:45 PM
finaly got my harley 3 weeks ago after waiting 3 years ;D ;D ;D ;D
the piece on the harley gas tank from the dash(speedo area) to the seat is plastic.
i decided that it is time to make one out of leather.
i got it all stamped and saddle oiled. right now its drying. in 4 hours i will be dying it black.
then will be lacing the edges. i will be doing the mexican round braid for the first time on this piece of leather.
its a good thing i have the chan greer lacing video.

lol nice knucklehead,......

I ride an '05 Road king Classic

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com