Reloading 45-75

Started by Whoop-up Roy, February 07, 2010, 02:55:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whoop-up Roy

I purchased new brass for my 76 NWMP in 45-75 from MarStar and purchased a RCBS shell holder #46 from Buffalo Arms.  The brass is marked 45-75 WRA CA WCF.  However, the brass casing will not fit into the shell holder ??? I have ordered a Lyman shell holder #36 and will have to wait for it to arrive to try loading my brass.  I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem and what they did to correct it!

Buck Stinson

I don't know if this is going to be of much help, because I have never loaded any ammo for the Uberti reproductions.  All of the reloading I have done over the past 40 some years, has been for original 1876 Winchesters in all four calibers.   To further complicate things from your point of view, most of my reloads are made with original Winchester tools and molds.  However, when I did reload with modern equipment, it was done with RCBS dies and shell holders.  You didn't mention the rim diameter of the Mar Star brass, so I'm spit'in in the wind here.  Original .45-75 Winchester brass has a rim diameter of .622 respectively.  For the past 40 years, I have used .348 Winchester brass to reload for all of my original 1876 Winchesters in this caliber.  The rim diameter on a new piece of .348 Winchester brass is .603 respectively.  Over the years I have fired and reloaded around 10,000 rounds of .45-75 ammo, using .348 cases in well over two dozen original guns and NEVER had a problem ejecting or extracting a spent round from the chamber.  The RCBS shell holder I use is a #31, which not only works for all of my 1876 Winchester calibers, but also the .50-70 Gov't. and I'm sure, several others.

Whoop-up Roy

Thank you for your reply.   The brass I ordered from Mar Star measured in at .623, the .001 could be me and my old Calipers. The #46 RCBS shell plate that buffalo arms recommends on their web site did not work with the 45-75 (http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,7426.html) or at least for me it didn't work.  If the new shell plate that I ordered, a Lyman #36 doesn't work I will order and try the RCBS #31.  Thanks Again

Long Gulch

Yep. Same problem here too. I thought I had done enough research. Even RCBS Die box lists the use of SH # 46. Musta been
for original 45 75 brass. I use Jamison brass and is mostly .614 diameter. Like Buck Stinson, I had to use a RCBS #31 shell holder which is listed to fit 50 70 and 50 90.                 
I suspect the folks reforming 348 brass could use a RCBS # 5 SH. I am not sure but the #36 Lyman SH may be for the 348 Win. The Lyman # 22 SH is listed for the 50 70 and 50 90.

Sure is fustrratin' but it is what we do ta have fun. ;D

Smoother Trails, LG

Whoop-up Roy

I see a lot of shooters use the Jamison brass. I tryed ordering brass out of the United States.  However, at this time dealers are not allowed to send brass into Canada. So for now I have to take whatever I can get my hands on.   I will try and pick some up this summer as the dealer said I can buy it and take it out of the country, but they can't mail it to me. 

The fustrating part about obtaining the right shell holder is that I have to order it in over the internet or phone in orders and then wait 7 to 10 days for the order to show up. Just one of the hazards of living in the north. The #36 Lyman SH is the one that Track of the Wolf lists for the 45-75, I ordered it on Saturday so now I have to wait for it to arrive to see if it will work, if not the next order will be for a RCBS #31 and a Lyman #22.

Thank you Buck Stinson & Long Gulch for your assistance.

RON

I purchased Lee dies and it came with shell holder. Works fine. I have been loading 45 grains of H4831. It shoots point of impact at 100 yards. I have not choreographed it but I like it and will never go back to BP. I am shooting the 350 Laser Cast bullet. I shoot Jamison brass that I bought from Buffalo Arms. The rifle is particular on overall length and must crimp on the top groove. Love to shoot it and have already gone through 100 rounds. I bought the Marbles improved tang sight and front sight. I have one on a 94 and a 76. I did not like it. I am gong to go to a better ladder type, but don't know what yet. I have been looking at Jeff's Outfitters. He has some good looking sights that will not break the bank.
I have been reading this site for about 3 years. I don't know why some people are so afraid of smokeless powder. My Grandfather used to reload for the 73 with a scoop of Dupont #2. He used smokeless in all his old rifles. That was 50 years ago. He had that big keg of powder for at least 25 years. He had Winchesters and Marlins. Worked like a champ. I intend to try 47 grains of H4831 this weekend. 

Hobie

I have different shell holders for the different brass.  Fewer problems in the gun than in the press!  Just part of the charm if you ask me. 
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson

RON

Update on H4831. I had started at 45 and went to 47 and I am now on 50 grains. Jamison brass, Lee dies and laser cast 350 grain bullet. Shoots very well. No unburned powder. Can't tell the difference between it and BP other than smoke. AND cleaning. I am worried about lube. Hope the lube on the laser cast bullets works with smokeless. I guess I will find out. I do use my tumbler to settle the powder as it getting close to compressed.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com